Author Topic: Mchale vs Harden  (Read 3762 times)

Re: Mchale vs Harden
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 07:41:04 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I'm so tired of athletes (people everywhere do this but for some reason I see it a lot with athletes) pulling this crap:

Harden, talking to a reporter: "He's a clown, honestly."

Harden, 2 seconds later:  "I don't say things to somebody behind their back or tell them one thing or go on air and say another thing."

If he feels like he has to stand up for himself, that's fine. But calling McHale a name to the press and then claiming you're not the kind of person to talk about somebody "on air" makes him look foolish, to me.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 12:51:44 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
Sounds like McHale struck a chord with Harden and he got defensive.

That is the only way you can associate Harden with defense is being "defensive"  ;)

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 01:20:03 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
"Calling me names is not going to change my opinion as to what I saw when I was there," McHale said Friday on TNT. "It's hard to have credibility if you don't play defense."

McHale remained complimentary of Harden's basketball skills while explaining what he considers to be leadership.

"[Harden] is a hell of a basketball player, he really is," McHale said. "And to James' credit, I will say this: He organizes guys in the summer. He does a lot of stuff. He does a lot of those things. When I was talking more about leadership is ... it's a tie game at half. It's a playoff game, or you're playing another team that's tough and rumble, and they're going to get after you. And all of a sudden, with four minutes to go in the third, you're down nine. They're getting every loose ball, they're getting every rebound, they're doing all this stuff. It's not about skill at that point. It's about will. I gotta impose my will on you. James at that point gets a little bit ... that's not his personality. Chris Paul, in turn, will get in your face, go nose-to-nose with you, say, 'Hey, let's go,' and I think that's what you need. Draymond Green does a great job, whenever you need a spark. He's out there going jawing with somebody."

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2017, 01:50:29 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
"Calling me names is not going to change my opinion as to what I saw when I was there," McHale said Friday on TNT. "It's hard to have credibility if you don't play defense."

McHale remained complimentary of Harden's basketball skills while explaining what he considers to be leadership.

"[Harden] is a hell of a basketball player, he really is," McHale said. "And to James' credit, I will say this: He organizes guys in the summer. He does a lot of stuff. He does a lot of those things. When I was talking more about leadership is ... it's a tie game at half. It's a playoff game, or you're playing another team that's tough and rumble, and they're going to get after you. And all of a sudden, with four minutes to go in the third, you're down nine. They're getting every loose ball, they're getting every rebound, they're doing all this stuff. It's not about skill at that point. It's about will. I gotta impose my will on you. James at that point gets a little bit ... that's not his personality. Chris Paul, in turn, will get in your face, go nose-to-nose with you, say, 'Hey, let's go,' and I think that's what you need. Draymond Green does a great job, whenever you need a spark. He's out there going jawing with somebody."
Agree 100% with McHale.

Harden has time and again failed to display leadership in crucial moments. Think McHale knows a thing or two about leadership, from his playing days, playing with Bird, and his relationship with McHale
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2017, 02:43:17 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
A hurt dog barks the loudest.

Woof Woof, James.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2017, 03:27:56 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
https://youtu.be/J-9vIaMhm90

@5:08 maybe this is something Kevin was tbinking about.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2017, 04:17:33 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm so tired of athletes (people everywhere do this but for some reason I see it a lot with athletes) pulling this crap:

Harden, 2 seconds later:  "I don't say things to somebody behind their back or tell them one thing or go on air and say another thing."

If he feels like he has to stand up for himself, that's fine. But calling McHale a name to the press and then claiming you're not the kind of person to talk about somebody "on air" makes him look foolish, to me.
But he never claims not to talk about people on air. He just claims that what he says on air is gonna be consistent with what he says to your face.

We aren't there for his convos with mchale so I think it's unfair to assume he's contradicting himself
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2017, 04:25:20 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Artest (who is a true tough dude) hit him there cause he knew he was an inferior basketball player.
This is a huge reach and total speculation.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2017, 05:15:42 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Artest (who is a true tough dude) hit him there cause he knew he was an inferior basketball player.
Reach?
At that time, 2011-12 season, Harden was the 6th man of the year, 18-4-4 with 10% better true shooting than MWP and his 8 ppg. MWP was basicaly out of the league 2 years after that. How is it a speculation to say that he frustated him to a point where he hit him in the head? Usually, almost always, inferior players try to kick out superior ones by muscleling them up and that is the case here too. Exp: Brickowski/Rodman 1996 finals

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2017, 06:27:08 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Reach?
At that time, 2011-12 season, Harden was the 6th man of the year, 18-4-4 with 10% better true shooting than MWP and his 8 ppg. MWP was basicaly out of the league 2 years after that. How is it a speculation to say that he frustated him to a point where he hit him in the head? Usually, almost always, inferior players try to kick out superior ones by muscleling them up and that is the case here too. Exp: Brickowski/Rodman 1996 finals
How is it speculation?

How is it not speculation? It's like textbook speculation.

You have 0 insight into the actual motivations of mwp. You know he was old, bad and losing to a young good winning team. Using that info to try to determine a motive is textbook speculation.

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2017, 08:33:52 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Reach?
How is it speculation?

You have 0 insight into the actual motivations of mwp. You know he was old, bad and losing to a young good winning team. Using that info to try to determine a motive is textbook speculation.
I don't like going in the reply loophole.
Would MWP elbow him if he was a 12th man?

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
McHale could've expressed himself a bit more softly, complimenting CP's natural leadership, in the context of relieving the burden on Harden, without taking the next step and saying Harden isn't a leader or is incapable of leading. I agree with all of McHale's points, but he didn't have to make them.

As his coach, McHale was likely pumping him up to lead, which may infuriate Harden all the more now (hearing the claim he is incapable by his play).

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2017, 02:39:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Reach?
How is it speculation?

I don't like going in the reply loophole.
Would MWP elbow him if he was a 12th man?
I dont know. You dont know.

Trying to guess is called speculation.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2017, 02:46:20 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I don't get why McHale started this whole thing. What was the impetus to drop loaded comments on Harden?

I would understand if McHale stated that Harden needed to improve his defense to become a better leader. Instead, he stated that Harden isn't a leader b/c of his defensive deficiencies. I know its a small point, but McHale comes off as someone trying to dig at Harden, vs. telling him what he has to do to improve.

McHale comes off as someone that was burned by Harden. Given McHale's lack of success as a non-player involved in the NBA, one could say that he is the one lacking leadership. Insulting a previous employee to the media doesn't scream of leadership, at least in my eyes.

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2017, 02:58:16 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

But he never claims not to talk about people on air. He just claims that what he says on air is gonna be consistent with what he says to your face.

We aren't there for his convos with mchale so I think it's unfair to assume he's contradicting himself
I guess we don't know for sure but it seems unlikely that Harden called McHale a clown to his face.

And either way, it's still hypocritical to complain about McHale talking about Harden to the press (which is his job, actually) and then call McHale names to the press.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008