Author Topic: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft  (Read 106730 times)

Re: Celtic Picks - 2019 draft
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2019, 09:54:50 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
I do bit understand why people dont want the puck this year.

Memphis will not let us get a high lotto pick moving forwards so they will do whatever it takes to win moving on.

If the pick translates it means more salary to use in a davis trade.

It makes zero sense for boston or memphis to root for the pick to not translate thus season

There’s always a chance Memphis will fail in its rebuild so the unprotected pick might be great two years from now.

But (1) who knows - that pick might be a high lottery pick; (2) ninth isn’t bad value - a lot of starters and even all stars are found there; (3) you made an important point when you mention the salary. It’s hard to put together a trade for AD where the salaries match w/out sending Smart. Having that salary would help.

With Gasol out and a Conley soon to follow the Grizz are going to be steadily getting worse. Their record now has a lot to do with their strong start when they had both Conley and Gasol. With the two next year they will be much worse. The West is strong and no matter how good Jaren Jackson may become he's not going to get them in the play-offs in his 2nd or 3rd year. Memphis' rebuild will convey a top ten pick at the least

Like Sacramento?
Or Boston last season?

Never underestimate the value of youth and chemistry on wins.

But unlike Sacramento or Boston, the Griz have no core players for next year.
Most of their remaining players are vets.
The rest have expiring contracts.
There's really a big chance the Memphis pick will end up conveying in 2021.

Well seeing hiw the pick is unprotected in 2021...yeah really good chance it conveys ;)

However...

Trading conley will net them a nuce young piece.

Trading parsons gigantic expiring will most likely net them a serviceable player.

They have big capspace. Like max player big. Plus their draft picks over the next couple years.

That pick will get worse and worse as time goes forward. In 2021 at the latest, they will be like the current kings.
If it was that easy why have the 76ers, Magic, Kings, Suns, Lakers, Knicks, Nets and other teams trying to rebuild take multiple years to get good? You are really giving the Grizz way too much benefit.

Philly has made some poor decisions, and made a few questionable draft choices
MAgic had poor management and now has solid management.
Kings are looking just fine, since switching gears post Cousins (couple years)
Suns are looking ofk, had some bad luck a few years back, morris bros set them back a bit imo
Lakers have bad management and some poor drafting and trades
Knicks have poor management.
Nets are doing pretty [dang] good considering how bad prockoff screwed them over, years without a pick. Now fighting for players, have space for a max free agent this year and open capspace moving forward.
All that evidence on how hard it is indeed to get things right yet the Grizz will just knock it out the park. The model franchise with great success and history.....  ::)
pretty much says it all.  tons of precedence Memphis isn't going to rocket into the playoffs or even improve.  much more likely to get worse.  Silky's doing more to prove his point wrong.

There is zero evidence to support memphis not improving. Zero.

Jv has player great there. Delon is a very nice you pg. They will aquire assets from trading conley. Jjj is a very good player. They have lots of capspace moving forward and have management that has made very solid decisions for years and years.

« Reply #226 on: March 18, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
They...have management that has made very solid decisions for years and years.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/wallach99x.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #227 on: March 18, 2019, 10:30:38 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Sure, Memphis could be better in 2 years. But they are in a tough spot. They want to build through the draft [not a huge FA destination] and in order to do that they have to be bad. It's hard to be bad, just perfectly, for two out of the next three years. It's much more likely they'll be bad for all three.

« Reply #228 on: March 18, 2019, 10:43:46 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Memphis will not let us get a high lotto pick moving forwards so they will do whatever it takes to win moving on.

It makes zero sense for boston or memphis to root for the pick to not translate thus season

There’s always a chance Memphis will fail in its rebuild so the unprotected pick might be great two years from now.

But (1) who knows - that pick might be a high lottery pick; (2) ninth isn’t bad value - a lot of starters and even all stars are found there; (3) you made an important point when you mention the salary. It’s hard to put together a trade for AD where the salaries match w/out sending Smart. Having that salary would help.

With Gasol out and a Conley soon to follow the Grizz are going to be steadily getting worse. Their record now has a lot to do with their strong start when they had both Conley and Gasol. With the two next year they will be much worse. The West is strong and no matter how good Jaren Jackson may become he's not going to get them in the play-offs in his 2nd or 3rd year. Memphis' rebuild will convey a top ten pick at the least

Like Sacramento?
Or Boston last season?

Well seeing hiw the pick is unprotected in 2021...yeah really good chance it conveys ;)

However...

Trading parsons gigantic expiring will most likely net them a serviceable player.

They have big capspace. Like max player big. Plus their draft picks over the next couple years.

That pick will get worse and worse as time goes forward. In 2021 at the latest, they will be like the current kings.
If it was that easy why have the 76ers, Magic, Kings, Suns, Lakers, Knicks, Nets and other teams trying to rebuild take multiple years to get good? You are really giving the Grizz way too much benefit.

Suns are looking ofk, had some bad luck a few years back, morris bros set them back a bit imo
Nets are doing pretty [dang] good considering how bad prockoff screwed them over, years without a pick. Now fighting for players, have space for a max free agent this year and open capspace moving forward.
All that evidence on how hard it is indeed to get things right yet the Grizz will just knock it out the park. The model franchise with great success and history.....  ::)
pretty much says it all.  tons of precedence Memphis isn't going to rocket into the playoffs or even improve.  much more likely to get worse.  Silky's doing more to prove his point wrong.

Jv has player great there. Delon is a very nice you pg. They will aquire assets from trading conley. Jjj is a very good player. They have lots of capspace moving forward and have management that has made very solid decisions for years and years.
This is not the hill to die on my man
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #229 on: March 18, 2019, 10:58:11 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Like Sacramento?
Or Boston last season?

However...

This is not the hill to die on my man
agreed.  the examples show it's far more likely for Memphis to suck for a few years than improve a lot in the next year or two.  The thought Conley's going to bring in assets that'll immediately improve that team more than Conley himself is pretty flimsy

« Reply #230 on: March 18, 2019, 03:44:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
They...have management that has made very solid decisions for years and years.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/wallach99x.html
Wow they made a ton of bad moves. I'm very confident it will be a longer than one year rebuild lol

« Reply #231 on: March 18, 2019, 07:32:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Starting to get intrigued with Jontay Porter. Game reminds me a lot of Al Horford.  If Davis trade doesn't work out, would like to see us grab him in the draft. Any thoughts on him are appreciated, I have not watched him play other than video highlights, which are misleading. Plus I know he missed this past season with an injury.

« Reply #232 on: March 19, 2019, 04:40:48 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
WC Standings 5-7:

San Antonio 42-29
Oklahoma City 42-29
Utah 41-29

8. Clippers 41-30

9. Sacramento 34-35

Not far from hoping LAC drops a few games at the end. They could also catch Boston (43-28), Indiana (44-27), Portland (43-27), etc.

« Reply #233 on: March 19, 2019, 05:03:31 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Starting to get intrigued with Jontay Porter. Game reminds me a lot of Al Horford.  If Davis trade doesn't work out, would like to see us grab him in the draft. Any thoughts on him are appreciated, I have not watched him play other than video highlights, which are misleading. Plus I know he missed this past season with an injury.

Depends on the pick, but I like him.  Preferably with the Celtics pick, and def not the Griz/Kings.  Sorry if that's obvious, I'm not really up on the mocks. 
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #234 on: March 19, 2019, 05:05:05 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Latest ESPN mock has us taking Bol Bol with Sac pick.

« Reply #235 on: March 19, 2019, 05:13:06 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

We better draft Nasir Little Jr., if he's available by then. I'm trying to tell people, he's going to be a special player that might actually fall past top 7.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #236 on: March 19, 2019, 05:30:07 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
If the Memphis pick conveys and we don't/can't trade the picks, I would be quite happy with Little and Bol at #9 and #14, although I definitely prefer getting AD.

« Reply #237 on: March 20, 2019, 10:57:10 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason

We better draft Nasir Little Jr., if he's available by then. I'm trying to tell people, he's going to be a special player that might actually fall past top 7.

Bol Bol or Nasir Little Jr. will be fantastic players for the Pelicans.  ::)

Point is don't get married to this pick -- it's almost always being moved.

« Reply #238 on: March 20, 2019, 11:15:01 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Bol Bol or Nasir Little Jr. will be fantastic players for the Pelicans.  ::)

Point is don't get married to this pick -- it's almost always being moved.

From your lips...

Mike

« Reply #239 on: March 20, 2019, 12:31:57 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
Copied from the NBA Season thread, I realize it's probably more relevant here:

Clippers have 10 games left, the Kings I believe 12 left, and Kings are 7 games back.  Clips going 5-5 in their last 10 puts them at 47-35.

Clips play Cavs twice, Knicks, Lakers, and Memphis and should be able to go 5-5 in their last 10 games, but may struggle to win more than 5-6. 

Luckily, 5-6 wins would lock them into no lower than the 8th seed, and if they don't get many more, they should finish #7 or ideally #8 in the West and also hopefully finish below the top 5 teams in the East, who should all be able to finish with 48+ wins unless Indy collapses.  That's pick #18 or #19.

EDIT - FINAL PICK PREDICTIONS

Celtics pick: #24 (6 teams finish with better records, 3 in each conference (Bucks, Raps, Sixers + Dubs, Nugs, likely Rockets)

Clippers pick: #18 (pick could be #19, even #20, but I'm saying #18 as I believe LAC *should* finish behind OKC, Utah, SAS)

Kings pick: #14 (pretty much locked in at this point barring a miracle, see above)

Griz pick: #8 / rolls over (a hedge- Griz either finish 7th worst + get jumped once, or finish 8th worst + don't get jumped)

So C's get #14, #18, #24 + Memphis 1st: '20 Top 6 Protected / '21 Unprotected.  4 picks, 2 lottery / 3 top 20, to deal for AD.

3 of the 4 Picks, or all 4, + Future 1st + Tatum - is it enough?  There's a great chance that it is, and we also have more we can offer.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 12:54:30 PM by smokeablount »