Author Topic: The Offense (And The Team) Will Be Fine  (Read 2402 times)

Re: The Offense (And The Team) Will Be Fine
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2018, 05:27:40 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I’m curious about this. Logic and hope tell me we’ll still win 55 - 60 games.

But, there’s at least some precedent for teams struggling across an entire season when integrating new players. Lebron’s first year with the Heat is the best example, but there’s also the Lakers with Malone, the Lakers with D12, etc.

My point was that whatever chemistry issues there are, the real problem has been that the team is just missing an egregious number of open shots or shots they've made in the past and that's something that is unlikely to continue to this degree.

I think it’s more than “the shots aren’t falling”. Guys look lost and tentative.  I expect that to eventually get worked out.  But, sometimes those transitions take longer than expected.

Yeah, I think it's both.

And I think the Lebron-in-Miami thing is particularly apt. Lebron went to the Heat and wanted to share the team with Wade but that team hit its stride in their second season when Lebron finally said, "Screw it, I'm the best player so I'm going to start playing like it."

I weirdly think Kyrie is in a similar spot. It's nice that Kyrie wants to expand his game and his point guard skills but he just isn't a pg in the Bob Cousy/Chris Paul mode. He doesn't have great passing skills and there are other players on the team who do. Kyrie is an elite scorer. At some point I think his best move is to have the realization that Lebron had in Miami and go out and stark wrecking defenses and letting Hayward, Horford, and Smart be the primary offense-runners.

He should really be out there trying to score and make the defense react to him which will then open up for everyone else. He's trying to get others involved first but that might be backwards.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2018, 08:12:05 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
The Offense (And The Team) Will Be Fine

at least for the reg. season. watch how we get eliminated in the playoffs this year... or just go back and watch how we've been eliminated the last few yrs.

our offensive philosophy and lack of discipline is what's been holding us back... or at least it must be right? 1st we had a collection of players with no talent that in the last few mins. of an elimination gm. just chucked up a bunch of 3's to get back in the game and lost. then we get talent and in the last few mins. of an elimination gm. just chucked up a bunch of 3's to get back in the game and lost.

sounds like an offensive philosophy and lack of discipline problem to me.

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 02:36:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wow, despite our offensive woes we're #1 in the league in Open and Wide Open FG attempts (#2 in rate for both).

Seems to confirm we're doing ok at getting the shots we want but very very badly at making them, especially the Open kind.

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2018, 05:05:17 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Wow, despite our offensive woes we're #1 in the league in Open and Wide Open FG attempts (#2 in rate for both).

Seems to confirm we're doing ok at getting the shots we want but very very badly at making them, especially the Open kind.

This same thing was happening last season as well. I’m starting to wonder if the C’s get so many open looks because no one really respects our players on that side of the ball. Teams are conceding the long ball instead of cleaner looks near the rim. The C’s get lazy and it starts to play into their hands.

Anywhere to get a stat of which players are taking most of these open looks? If the offense sputters all season CBS deserves heat. I had dreams of top 5 in defensive and offensive efficiency this season. C’s are #1 and #29 currently.

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2018, 01:12:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Yeah, this is why I'm not worried.

On the other hand, there's an argument to be made that great teams, when the shots aren't falling, are able to manufacture points in other ways like getting to the free throw line or getting more reliable shots at the rim and the C's have been bad in those areas so far.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

This same thing was happening last season as well. I’m starting to wonder if the C’s get so many open looks because no one really respects our players on that side of the ball. Teams are conceding the long ball instead of cleaner looks near the rim. The C’s get lazy and it starts to play into their hands.

We're not Philly. Nobody wants to leave any of our starters open from 3.  It's possible we're settling but it's kinda hard to describe open 3s as "settling" unless they're from way back or one of our few bad shooters (*cough* Smart *cough*) is chucking too early.

Anywhere to get a stat of which players are taking most of these open looks? If the offense sputters all season CBS deserves heat. I had dreams of top 5 in defensive and offensive efficiency this season. C’s are #1 and #29 currently.

Don't have it but I'm sure it's out there somewhere. NBA.com has incredible sortable stats.