Author Topic: PS4 launches at midnight - XBone a week later  (Read 11779 times)

PS4 launches at midnight - XBone a week later
« on: November 14, 2013, 01:20:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
The graphics, processing speed, etc. look awesome on the PS4.  Sony has also added a bunch of sharing capabilities to connect with the internet crow.  Microsoft launches Xbox One a week later and while it hasn't told anyone what is under the hood, so to speak, of the XBone I have a hard time imagining it will eclipse the PS4.  PS4 is also priced about $100 less than the XBone which launches one week later. 

I am a big Playstation fan, but I never buy any system at launch. So if you pick up a PS4 or the XBone a week later, please post some comments, reviews, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: PS4 launches at midnight - XBone a week later
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:05 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
preodered mine and it has already shipped. I cannot WAIT to get mine with Killzone and 2k!!!!

I am actually thinking about using my PTO for this hahaha

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 01:29:32 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
This demo aired last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hUUsqhetX4

I can't wait until about Christmas 2015 when I finally pick this up after the price has dropped by $150, and I've finally picked up all the PS3 games I want to play for less than $15, and a there's a decent catalog of PS4 games to be had for $20 or less  ;D

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 01:31:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
preodered mine and it has already shipped. I cannot WAIT to get mine with Killzone and 2k!!!!

I am actually thinking about using my PTO for this hahaha

A friend of mine is taking Friday and Monday off so he can pick it up at midnight.

One of the drawbacks of having an unconventional gig--editors and deadlines don't care about the normal workday, As much as I'd love to check it out I'm mashed with work as it is.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »

Offline Interceptor

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 224
This might be the least excited I've ever been about a console launch. I don't know if it's the fact that PC gaming is cool again, or if the gains between generations have become so small these days, or that very few truly novel things are being introduced, or some combination of the above.

I can't wait until about Christmas 2015 when I finally pick this up after the price has dropped by $150, and I've finally picked up all the PS3 games I want to play for less than $15, and a there's a decent catalog of PS4 games to be had for $20 or less  ;D

highfive.jpg

This is probably exactly what I will do as well.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 01:55:55 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
The reason the X-Bone is $100 more is because it comes with the new Kinect. 

I imagine they are pretty comparable when it comes to playing video games.

I've seen demos of the X-Bone and it was kind of intriguing.  You walk into a room, it instantly recognizes your face and pulls up your custom profile... it takes voice commands.. seemlessly switches between apps and games.  Seemed interesting.   I was mostly interested in the TV integration.  If you don't know already, the X-Bone lets you connect your cable through it.... you can then use voice commands to "turn on CBS" or "Show me what's on NBC at 8"... No need to switch back and forth between your cable box and console.

But I was a bit disappointed by what I saw.

#1 - It doesn't have any kind of DVR built into it and doesn't let you access your DVR'd content.  It's basically only useful for watching live television... which I pretty much never watch.

#2 - It doesn't yet seem to allow you to pull up your On Demand content.  That said, I have Comcast out here in Seattle and use the Xfinity app on my ipad sometimes.  It's awesome... lets you easily search your on demand content and stream it through the internet.  The XBox 360 had an Xfinity app so I can imagine the Xbox one will also have an xfinity app eventually.   Also, it's the only console that will have HBO GO... so long-term it might be a replacement for the Cable box afterall... just with no DVR capability. 

#3 - Unfortunately... You can't use any of those apps without a XBox Gold subscription.  That blows.  I have zero interest in paying for a special subscription... I don't play online games enough to warrant it. 

So I've kind of lost a little interest in the Xbox despite the awesome demos of seemless switching between game/tv/app... skyping your friends while you watch live Celtic games sounds interesting, but I don't know who would do it.  Pulling up live scores via the net while watching the Celtic game also sounds interesting... but meh.

I need to read more about the PS4.  I haven't read any "cool" features that really excite me.  It just seems like an updated PS3 console with better graphics.  None of the launch titles excite me... I'll probably buy one eventually, but I'll probably wait a few months for the prices to drop.  I don't have any reason to buy one now.

Side note:  If you have NBA League Pass, I recently found that the PS3 has an awesome app for it.  Xbox 360 doesn't have an app.  Presumably PS4 will eventually have the NBA League Pass app... that might factor into some decisions. 

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 02:02:33 PM »

Offline Smokeeye123

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 156
Amazon should be delivering my PS4 sometime on Friday! Not a real must have game right now but I think Indies and Netflix will tide me over until then. I think of it as a long-term investment. Getting one now will just get it out of the way because I know I will end up buying one.

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 02:33:12 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

highfive.jpg

This is probably exactly what I will do as well.

Thirded, but with the XBox instead.  Just like PCs and cell phones, the jump in quality isn't nearly worth the savings from staying a generation behind.

Besides, Dark Souls 2 is coming out on the 360, and that'll occupy me for a year or so if the last one was any indication.

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
As I play games on PC (mine is already is as powerful as these systems and better PCs go past them), I find Xbox One's extra features the most intriguing.  Though both have their share of interesting exclusive games.

So I've kind of lost a little interest in the Xbox despite the awesome demos of seemless switching between game/tv/app... skyping your friends while you watch live Celtic games sounds interesting, but I don't know who would do it.  Pulling up live scores via the net while watching the Celtic game also sounds interesting... but meh.

I need to read more about the PS4.  I haven't read any "cool" features that really excite me.  It just seems like an updated PS3 console with better graphics.  None of the launch titles excite me... I'll probably buy one eventually, but I'll probably wait a few months for the prices to drop.  I don't have any reason to buy one now.

Side note:  If you have NBA League Pass, I recently found that the PS3 has an awesome app for it.  Xbox 360 doesn't have an app.  Presumably PS4 will eventually have the NBA League Pass app... that might factor into some decisions. 

I would be very surprised if Xbox One doesn't continue to grow as far as replacing your cable box by allowing control of On Demand and DVR functions.  It already is controlling the cable box to some degree.  There was also a lot of speculation that cable companies were going to offer the Xbox One on a subsidy with cable service and I still see that as a strong possibility.

They have applications as a big part of their system so I think stuff like League Pass is inevitable.  Though we'll have to see.  They have an exclusive deal with the NFL and maybe Sony does one with the NBA.

My friends and I were talking about the Skype function watching games together and everything.  I really like how the Xbox One is coming together as far as an overall entertainment box.

----

As far as the PS4 goes, it is the more powerful system so if that's what you're interested in, go there.  But we will have to see how much that matters in the long run.

This last generation PS3 was more powerful than Xbox 360 and it didn't show really.  Before that the Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 and I chose to play games on the Xbox whenever I could.

Going to be interesting to see.  Either way I personally am waiting a while to dip in because I already have my PC.  It's really a great option for games at this point that is more expensive at the start but in the long run can save you a lot of money because the games are way, way cheaper.  And as I said before, my PC is like mid range and it's already as strong or stronger than the PS4 and Xbox One.

The part that makes it hard for me is that they put out the last gen version of NBA 2K14 on PC and won't put out the next gen version, even though they could.  Which is killing me.  It looks so good.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2013, 02:40:12 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
As I play games on PC (mine is already is as powerful as these systems and better PCs go past them), I find Xbox One's extra features the most intriguing.  Though both have their share of interesting exclusive games.

I would be very surprised if Xbox One doesn't continue to grow as far as replacing your cable box by allowing control of On Demand and DVR functions.  It already is controlling the cable box to some degree.  There was also a lot of speculation that cable companies were going to offer the Xbox One on a subsidy with cable service and I still see that as a strong possibility.

They have applications as a big part of their system so I think stuff like League Pass is inevitable.  Though we'll have to see.  They have an exclusive deal with the NFL and maybe Sony does one with the NBA.

My friends and I were talking about the Skype function watching games together and everything.  I really like how the Xbox One is coming together as far as an overall entertainment box.

----

As far as the PS4 goes, it is the more powerful system so if that's what you're interested in, go there.  But we will have to see how much that matters in the long run.

This last generation PS3 was more powerful than Xbox 360 and it didn't show really.  Before that the Xbox was more powerful than the PS2 and I chose to play games on the Xbox whenever I could.

Going to be interesting to see.  Either way I personally am waiting a while to dip in because I already have my PC.  It's really a great option for games at this point that is more expensive at the start but in the long run can save you a lot of money because the games are way, way cheaper.  And as I said before, my PC is like mid range and it's already as strong or stronger than the PS4 and Xbox One.

if you know how to construct a PC, it is indeed very powerful and better than the PS4 and XBone. I built myself a comp last year with a GeForce 660Ti and the games running on it is beautiful.

I'm getting the PS4 simply because I'm a fan, UI enjoy playing on a controller, playing with a friend offline. And also, there are some games that I am waiting for to come out (crossing my fingers for Darksiders III)

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2013, 02:48:49 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas

if you know how to construct a PC, it is indeed very powerful and better than the PS4 and XBone. I built myself a comp last year with a GeForce 660Ti and the games running on it is beautiful.

I'm getting the PS4 simply because I'm a fan, UI enjoy playing on a controller, playing with a friend offline. And also, there are some games that I am waiting for to come out (crossing my fingers for Darksiders III)

I definitely understand.  There's still something nice to the console experience, as far as ease of use and everything, even if PC has made big strides there.  Plus there going to be games like I'm sure an eventual Uncharted, and the new inFamous looks crazy good.

Let's hope on Darksiders III.  The developers that made it got shut down and the property got sold to a company called Nordic Games, who I had never heard of.  On wikipedia it says:
On June 14, 2013 Nordic Games has stated in an interview with Joystiq that fans "[should] not look for a Darksiders 3 before two years from now.

Seems like they got their money by publishing different games in Europe.  Not sure what to think.  Probably not a good sign though unfortunately.

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2013, 02:55:31 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I definitely understand.  There's still something nice to the console experience, as far as ease of use and everything, even if PC has made big strides there.  Plus there going to be games like I'm sure an eventual Uncharted, and the new inFamous looks crazy good.

Let's hope on Darksiders III.  The developers that made it got shut down and the property got sold to a company called Nordic Games, who I had never heard of.  On wikipedia it says:
On June 14, 2013 Nordic Games has stated in an interview with Joystiq that fans "[should] not look for a Darksiders 3 before two years from now.

Seems like they got their money by publishing different games in Europe.  Not sure what to think.  Probably not a good sign though unfortunately.

yea I have both, I made a super computer mainly for gaming with friends (Starcraft II, SimCity, etc), and work. I do a lot of software deploys so having a nice computer definitely helps as mine can support up to 4 monitors.

I hope Nordic Games don't screw up Darksiders III though, it was a great series. Nice twist to actual biblical stories. I will be disappointed if they don't continue the series.

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Amazon has shipped my ps4. Location us only 40 mins away from me. Might ask upc if i can go pick it up right now

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

Offline abbmack9

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
Both seem really cool. The Xbox one has really upgraded its "social" capabilities by adding things like Skype. It looks like the ps4 focused strictly on gaming and made their online gaming better (like adding in the "party" feature the xbox has had for a while)

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2013, 04:16:33 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
Both seem really cool. The Xbox one has really upgraded its "social" capabilities by adding things like Skype. It looks like the ps4 focused strictly on gaming and made their online gaming better (like adding in the "party" feature the xbox has had for a while)

Yeah you have to pay for Sony online now but it looks way better than it was on PS3.

They also have PS plus which gives away free games every month.  It's kind of a ridiculous deal.  Which is great for consumers but I wonder how the developers feel.  If I end up getting it I'm probably not going to buy almost any Sony exclusive games for a few months because after that they'll just end up free on PS plus.