Author Topic: 2018 World Cup  (Read 67040 times)

Re: 2018 World Cup
« Reply #105 on: June 19, 2018, 07:44:26 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
England need to bring Loftus Cheek on. I do not like Alli & Lingard as a midfield pairing. Lingard more of a wide attacker [an attacker more than an organizer of play] and Alli more a guy who runs into the box [also more of an attacker more than an organizer of play]. Neither are creative passers. England lacking that creativity in the middle of the park. Loftus-Cheek is the best man to provide that in the squad. He needs to be on the pitch.

I'd take off Trippier to bring Loftus-Cheek on. Move Sterling out wide and Alli up front.
Isn't Trippier one of our best CBs? Why him? I'd rather move Lingard to the bench, he's horribly inconsistent.

It was because they needed a goal and were chasing the game. The other players are better attackers than Trippier is.

Trippier is a very good crosser of the ball but he is limited at running defenders, at cutting inside off the flank and at making incisive passes (non-crosses). He is a more one-dimensional attacking threat. The other wide options (Lingard, Sterling) offer much more variety and talent going forward - as you would expect since they are attacking midfielders and forwards whereas Trippier is only a full back.

« Reply #106 on: June 19, 2018, 08:05:02 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
England need to bring Loftus Cheek on. I do not like Alli & Lingard as a midfield pairing. Lingard more of a wide attacker [an attacker more than an organizer of play] and Alli more a guy who runs into the box [also more of an attacker more than an organizer of play]. Neither are creative passers. England lacking that creativity in the middle of the park. Loftus-Cheek is the best man to provide that in the squad. He needs to be on the pitch.

I'd take off Trippier to bring Loftus-Cheek on. Move Sterling out wide and Alli up front.
Isn't Trippier one of our best CBs? Why him? I'd rather move Lingard to the bench, he's horribly inconsistent.

It was because they needed a goal and were chasing the game. The other players are better attackers than Trippier is.

Trippier is a very good crosser of the ball but he is limited at running defenders, at cutting inside off the flank and at making incisive passes (non-crosses). He is a more one-dimensional attacking threat. The other wide options (Lingard, Sterling) offer much more variety and talent going forward - as you would expect since they are attacking midfielders and forwards whereas Trippier is only a full back.
Ah I see. And yeah Lingard is at least a better attacking option at converting opportunities than someone like Rashford, who imo is one of the most overrated young talents in England. I'm a United fan but I just don't get how people say a 20 year old who isn't technically sound ala Martial, isn't willing to pass because he thinks he's C Ronaldo and fluffs every easy chance he gets to score a goal is an incredible talent. He even tries to shoot corners for god's sake! I just can't wrap my head around how people rave about him, the potential is there but as of right now it's only potential and very little actual substance except for that one great game out of 5 or 6.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2018, 04:03:01 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Russia routed Egypt 3-1.

Wow, Russians off to a hot start in these World Cup. Home-field advantage sure has its benefits!  ;D

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2018, 10:19:22 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Ronaldo is flat out beasting so far in the WC.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2018, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
I wish he stopped the threatrics .

But he is a beast. 33yo with all than milleage under his feet and still performing like that is unreal. He so far the fastest player in the competition ,almost 34km/h , while in 16/17 the highest he reached was 31km/h.

« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2018, 09:39:54 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
i d love to see Australia scoring a second.

They deserve to get a win in the tournament

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2018, 09:54:20 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206

Couple of chances, just didn't quite have the quality. Draw isn't too bad, just need France to win their next 2 and get a win over Peru. Not a great chance of going through but stranger things have happened.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2018, 10:11:30 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Later today watch Messi get Croatized.
Great midfield Vs no midfield.
Or so I keep telling myself.
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2018, 10:12:00 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff

Australia always plays hard. Respect.

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Argentina is one of the leat likeable teams on the tournament... It s more like Messi and friends than a national team. I really want them to lose but to be honest (sorry Androslav) i don't trust Croatia. This team seems to choke although the talent is of the highest level. Just look at that midfield .... Which team has ever had the playmakers of Real and Barcelona ???

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2018, 11:39:19 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
Argentina is one of the leat likeable teams on the tournament... It s more like Messi and friends than a national team. I really want them to lose but to be honest (sorry Androslav) i don't trust Croatia. This team seems to choke although the talent is of the highest level. Just look at that midfield .... Which team has ever had the playmakers of Real and Barcelona ???
Yeah Argentina with Messi reminds of a Lebron team. Ugly but can rack up wins. They made the finals last time, also like LBJ.

I am not surprised that you are not sold on our team. We haven't been passed the group stage in WC for 20 years. We usually have some star talent and the football NT cult. But we often fail to beat (in our minds) inferior competition and our executives are even more corrupt than the Greek ones.

However I do believe that we will advance further from the group stage this time.

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2018, 12:49:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I really like Peru. Feed sorry for them. They have played some really good football. They try to get on the ball. They try to attack. They are a very likeable team. They deserve more.

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2018, 03:13:43 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I think androslav is already in the post sending a thank you card to caballero

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2018, 03:50:48 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Croatia 3-0 Argentina

Incredible result for Croatia. Terrific performance. They completely shut down Argentina's midfield and stopped them from getting the ball into dangerous areas. Beautiful goal by Modric for the 2nd and nice team goal on the 3rd. Delighted for Croatia.

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2018, 03:54:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I don't understand why Aguero and Higuain are even in the Argentina team. They never do anything for the National team.

What use is it having great club players when they do not perform for your national team? Germany was right to leave Leroy Sane behind. He hasn't found his place in that team either. Sane will have the opportunity to prove himself after the World Cup but the World Cup isn't time for bedding in players. You bring the guys that perform for you.