Author Topic: 2012/2013 NBA Season  (Read 218334 times)

Re: 2012/2013 NBA Season
« Reply #750 on: January 31, 2013, 10:01:56 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
The backups beat the first stringers!! (Nash-Dragic, Dwight-Gortat, Kobe-Shannon Brown)

Beasley brings them back from 13 down with minutes remaining, he's always been one of the most unstoppable players in the league when hot. 

Glad to see Phoenix is FINALLY letting him loose.  16 points in 23 minutes the past 8 games, shooting 51% from the field and 50% from 3.
They let him loose earlier this year too, except he couldn't hit the broad side of the hoop.

I guess Hunter's got him motivated, probably a nice "fresh start speech" I doubt it lasts sadly.

« Reply #751 on: January 31, 2013, 01:37:31 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
The backups beat the first stringers!! (Nash-Dragic, Dwight-Gortat, Kobe-Shannon Brown)

Beasley brings them back from 13 down with minutes remaining, he's always been one of the most unstoppable players in the league when hot. 

Glad to see Phoenix is FINALLY letting him loose.  16 points in 23 minutes the past 8 games, shooting 51% from the field and 50% from 3.
They let him loose earlier this year too, except he couldn't hit the broad side of the hoop.

I guess Hunter's got him motivated, probably a nice "fresh start speech" I doubt it lasts sadly.
Ehhh, he had 12 double digit games including 3 20 point games in November where he shot well, and then 6 games where you're right, he couldn't hit a thing, dragging his percentages down.

This of course had a ton to do with starting at SF.  It led to unbelievably horrid spacing for the Suns because of the terrible long range shooting from Dragic, Brown, Tucker, and Morris.  These two things lead to him taking a lot of pull up jumpers off the dribble because he can always get good looks over smaller guys, leading to streaky play.

At PF, where he's been playing lately, the spacing is better and he gets to the rim a lot more because he has a quickness advantage on 99% of players.

He's historically a 46% shooter and 36% from 3.  I don't see why you think it's more likely that he'll resume his shooting slump rather than continue to play the way he's always played, especially if he continues to play his natural position.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #752 on: January 31, 2013, 01:45:28 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
They moved him to PF, well if that's the case then yes he can sustain this. No reason Beasley can't score against PFs at a reasonable efficiency.

« Reply #753 on: January 31, 2013, 08:26:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Ahh, Tayshaun Prince isn't with the Grizzlies yet.

Too bad. This would've been a great first game against Kevin Durant and the OKC Thunder.

Memphis starting Bayless in Prince's place with TA shifting over to small forward. Good matchup with the limited Thabo Sefolosha there. An offensive threat vs a non-offensive threat. Good job by L.Hollins getting some extra offense on the floor there. That said, not sure Bayless is skilled enough to score (as a shot creator) on a defender as long and talented as Thabo though. Still, Bayless' shooting will give the Grizzlies another peripheral offensive threat.

I'd still like to see Oklahoma bring on Kevin Martin. Give Bayless (weak defender) somebody to defend. Bayless is there to be exploited.

« Reply #754 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
It's pretty unbelievable how fortunate OKC has been in the draft the last 5 years.  Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Maynor, Jackson, and maybe Perry Jones.

Durant, Westbrook, Harden, and Ibaka have all turned into legit superstars and anyone of the them could have been busts. 

When has a team ever drafted so high and every guy they picked has been a stud?  That never happens.

« Reply #755 on: January 31, 2013, 08:29:48 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I love those foul line jumpers from Marc Gasol. I wish more centers had that shot in their arsenal. It does a great job of punishing roaming defenders.

« Reply #756 on: January 31, 2013, 08:34:38 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
No Quincy Pondexter either. Injured. I don't think Oklahoma has any wing / forward outside of Tony Allen who can defend Kevin Durant.

Durant should have a big game here.

« Reply #757 on: January 31, 2013, 08:44:15 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Memphis, 0 defensive rebounds in first quarter.

« Reply #758 on: January 31, 2013, 09:06:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Memphis don't have enough scoring without Rudy Gay.

They were short of scorers two years ago in the playoffs. That is why they lost to Oklahoma. And since then, they have lost OJ Mayo + Zach Randolph has suffered a knee injury and gotten two years older. Randolph only shot like 44-45% in the playoffs that year.

Zach's scoring down around 15-16ppg this year. That should go up a bit ... but still, Z-Bo is simply not a dynamic enough scorer to lead that Memphis Grizzlies team to playoff success without more scoring threats around him.

Not a single other 20ppg threat there. Not a single 17-18ppg threat. A pair of 15ppg threats in M.Gasol and M.Conley.

Memphis are just another good solid playoff team now. No longer a title threat.

« Reply #759 on: January 31, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
Randolph is oh for nine.
He isn't who he used to be already?
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #760 on: January 31, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
If Bogut can stay healthy, Golden State is a legitimate title contender in the West.

« Reply #761 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:13 PM »

Offline letsgoblue86

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 279
If Bogut can stay healthy, Golden State is a legitimate title contender in the West.
And Curry too.

« Reply #762 on: January 31, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

I hope so, because with the lakers likely to miss the playoffs, the grizzlies defusing their own title chances, Harden now in Houston instead of OKC, and Rondo out for the year, not to mention Rose on chicago won't be anywhere near 100% when he returns, the road for the heat keeps getting easier.

« Reply #763 on: February 01, 2013, 12:25:32 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649

Do you think their defense holds up in a seven-game series against a good offensive team?  Bogut is the only above average defender on that team.  The rest of the lineup is filled with limited athletes who are susceptible to being beaten off the dribble.  Barnes is the exception to that rule, but he's a rookie and is a long way away from being an impact defender. 

I just don't see them getting enough stops to be a legit playoff threat.  Bogut is good, but he can't do everything. 

« Reply #764 on: February 01, 2013, 04:46:41 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Ahh, Tayshaun Prince isn't with the Grizzlies yet.

Too bad. This would've been a great first game against Kevin Durant and the OKC Thunder.

Memphis starting Bayless in Prince's place with TA shifting over to small forward. Good matchup with the limited Thabo Sefolosha there. An offensive threat vs a non-offensive threat. Good job by L.Hollins getting some extra offense on the floor there. That said, not sure Bayless is skilled enough to score (as a shot creator) on a defender as long and talented as Thabo though. Still, Bayless' shooting will give the Grizzlies another peripheral offensive threat.

I'd still like to see Oklahoma bring on Kevin Martin. Give Bayless (weak defender) somebody to defend. Bayless is there to be exploited.
Care to rethink that?  Looked great in the pick and roll tonight and tied the game high in assists too.

Bayless is having a down year, but I've always really liked him as a player.  Above average backup combo guard that is perfectly capable of filling in for starters when called upon.

Too bad Memphis couldn't take advantage and get back in this game.  Westbrook really melted down after starting off red hot.  They need Prince so they can put Tony on Westbrook.  Hilarious post-game interview by Russell though when asked about the incident (and no, not just his shirt).

"Do you feel like you need to control yourself more?"  "I control it like a man, like I did."  "What does that mean?"  *blank stare*  "Put it behind you and go win?"  "If that's what you say brah."

Someone post the video.  Westbrook and Sager straight up battling for most disgusting outfits, as always.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale