Author Topic: Does this Trade Make Sense for the Mavs and Cavs  (Read 7763 times)

Does this Trade Make Sense for the Mavs and Cavs
« on: May 19, 2008, 05:11:52 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
TRADE

At face value it seems like a joke.  But Wally, Snow, and Jones are all in the final year of bad contracts next season... totaling just about $25 million between them.  That it some major, major cap relief for the Mavericks when also adding Kidd's $21 million coming off after next year (I doubt they keep him past then). 

I think there's no way the Mavs do it because I think they want to see how they manage with a full year of Kidd and a new coach... but to me their window has closed, and this could be the quickest way to make sure there is a new window 3-5 years down the road.

For the Cavs, it's a no brainer.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 05:21:31 PM by Big Ticket »

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

Re: Does this Trade Make Sense for the Mavs and Cavs
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 05:23:42 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
I don't think Dallas does that in any circumstance, sub Josh Howard for Dirk and maybe you're working with something...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 05:23:44 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
That would be a really tough sell.

Looking at the #'s it's really absurd how man better players are being paid MUCH less than Wally. 
Yup

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I don't see why the Mavs need cap relief all that much; who in free agency are they going to get that's better than Dirk?  He's still a top-fifteen player.

I don't like the trade at all from the Mavericks end.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 05:29:11 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I don't see why the Mavs need cap relief all that much; who in free agency are they going to get that's better than Dirk?  He's still a top-fifteen player.

Yeah, that is the tough part.  Player aren't moving that much.  But in the 2010 offseason, Wade, Amare, and Bosh will all be possible free agents, and several top flight rookie contracts will be done.

But I agree, it's really tough to make that drastic of a move with the uncertainty behind free agency.  I just think their window has closed with the current roster.  Also agree with Redz about a move with Josh Howard being more feasible.

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:37:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I think this is shooting a little high.  Something much more feasible would be something like Wally and Boobie Gibson for Terry and a resigned Eddie Jones. 

Terry is a great fit next to Lebron.  He is basically a rich mans Gibson.

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:16:03 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Absolutely not

You don't move Dirk without getting an Al Jefferson type player in return.

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:35:27 PM »

Offline ChampKind

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 665
  • I left Indiana. Because it was horrible.
I doubt the Mavs would move Dirk under any reasonable circumstances except if he demanded a trade.  Even then, I feel like Cuban might keep him out of spite alone.  Besides, this is a team whose moves aren't dictated by the salary cap.

I think that Richard Jefferson would be a more likely trade candidate for Wally if his tenure in New Jersey continues to go south.
CB Draft Bucks: Chris Paul, Dwight Howard, Tobias Harris, Zach LaVine, Aaron Afflalo, Jeff Green, Donatas Motiejunas, Jarrett Jack, Frank Kaminsky, Lance Stephenson, JaVale McGee, Shane Larkin, Nick Young

DKC Bucks. Also terrible.

http://www.anchorofgold.com

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:54:31 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Yeah, that is the tough part.  Player aren't moving that much.  But in the 2010 offseason, Wade, Amare, and Bosh will all be possible free agents, and several top flight rookie contracts will be done.

But I agree, it's really tough to make that drastic of a move with the uncertainty behind free agency.  I just think their window has closed with the current roster.  Also agree with Redz about a move with Josh Howard being more feasible.
It was cdif's idea BT...funny I actually had to go back and see if I said that! (I need a brain drain)
Yup