Author Topic: Patriots 2020 Season  (Read 76857 times)

Re: Patriots 2020 season
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2020, 11:01:43 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
It's honestly kind of funny to see the Lolphins ahead of us in the division. Brian Flores looks legit (which is a rarity coming from under Belicheck) and the team they built is looking solid. Now they just need to get rid of Fitzception and hope that Tua is a stud.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2020, 11:03:59 PM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I'm treating this whole Covid season with all the disruptions as one big audition for Cam for the permanent job. They'll never admit it but I suspect Bill and Josh are too.

Do you think they'd give him a long-term deal going into his age-32 season?

I guess it would all depend on how much he wants. He's got some miles on those legs for sure. I think it would be worth the risk at the right price though. Right now at $1.75m he's the 6th highest paid quarterback in the NFL on an annual basis. If you look at others in his similar age bracket when they signed their contracts, you have:

Russell Wilson 30, 4yr $140m, $35m AAV
Kirk Cousins 31, 2yr $66m, $33m AAV
Ryan Tannehill 31, 4yr $118m, $29.5m AAV
Matt Ryan 32, 5yr $150m, $30m AAV
Alex Smith 33, 4yr $94m, $23m AAV
Case Keenum 32, 3yr $18m, $6m AAV

I'm not as familiar with the NFL cap as I am with the NBA one, I do know it's a hard cap...but I think if he performed really well and fit in with the team I don't see a reason why they wouldn't give him a multi year deal as long as the price is right.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #197 on: October 19, 2020, 12:22:40 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think cam has any intention of remaining in NE beyond this year nor do I think bill has any plan to keep him around

This was a marriage of convenience all along.

The only way I see him staying is on another one year deal if this season doesn't allow him sufficient opportunity to re-establish his value.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2020, 12:34:55 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
So far, it's looking like Tom Brady is going to head back to the playoffs while Belichick will miss the playoffs for the first time in ages. Brady in control to make his point that the Patriots greatness was in large part due to his accomplishments.

« Reply #199 on: October 19, 2020, 01:06:13 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
I don't think cam has any intention of remaining in NE beyond this year nor do I think bill has any plan to keep him around

The only way I see him staying is on another one year deal if this season doesn't allow him sufficient opportunity to re-establish his value.

So you think Bill will go back to Stidham or Hoyer after this year? Or tank to get a QB in the draft?

« Reply #200 on: October 19, 2020, 01:08:29 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990

So you think Bill will go back to Stidham or Hoyer after this year? Or tank to get a QB in the draft?

Hope they tank to get a QB. Don't really like the idea of Stidham moving forward. And we all know Hoyer ain't the answer for this team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2020, 01:26:13 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White

Hope they tank to get a QB. Don't really like the idea of Stidham moving forward. And we all know Hoyer ain't the answer for this team.

I don't think Bill has it in him to tank  :angel:

« Reply #202 on: October 19, 2020, 01:56:36 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
So far, it's looking like Tom Brady is going to head back to the playoffs while Belichick will miss the playoffs for the first time in ages. Brady in control to make his point that the Patriots greatness was in large part due to his accomplishments.
New England’s schedule is tough but if they can get healthy and avoid covid mishaps they still project pretty favorably for the 6th or 7 seed imo.

the matchups with Buffalo, LAR and Arizona will be huge.

Also worth noting that this Patriots team likely doesn’t look much better, if at all, with Brady at the helm.

2 practices in 2 weeks? The team with the most COVID defections too.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #203 on: October 19, 2020, 01:57:33 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

They won’t tank.

Plus I’m not sure if there’s a tankworthy talent outside of Lawrence I’m meh on Lance and Fields
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #204 on: October 19, 2020, 02:56:28 AM »

Online ozgod

• JoJo White
According to Albert Breer, the Pats may need to franchise tag Cam if they want to ward off interest from other suitors, including the Washington Football Team. That would push his cost up to $25m from the $1m he's costing right now.

"Washington has no long-term answer at the position right now, and they've got a head coach in Ron Rivera and an offensive coordinator in Scott Turner who are very close with Cam," Breer noted, as seen in the video player above.

As Breer pointed out, that may force the Patriots to consider placing the franchise tag on Newton before he becomes a free agent to ensure he sticks around.

"I think the presence now of Washington being out there ... that puts the Patriots in a corner where, if you don't sign him to a long-term deal before the middle of March, you almost have to tag him," Breer said.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/how-washington-could-impact-patriots-cam-newton-decision-2021

I guess if they decided the cost was too high we could always go back to Stidham and Hoyer.

« Reply #205 on: October 19, 2020, 07:44:22 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
According to Albert Breer, the Pats may need to franchise tag Cam if they want to ward off interest from other suitors, including the Washington Football Team. That would push his cost up to $25m from the $1m he's costing right now.

"Washington has no long-term answer at the position right now, and they've got a head coach in Ron Rivera and an offensive coordinator in Scott Turner who are very close with Cam," Breer noted, as seen in the video player above.

As Breer pointed out, that may force the Patriots to consider placing the franchise tag on Newton before he becomes a free agent to ensure he sticks around.

"I think the presence now of Washington being out there ... that puts the Patriots in a corner where, if you don't sign him to a long-term deal before the middle of March, you almost have to tag him," Breer said.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/how-washington-could-impact-patriots-cam-newton-decision-2021

I guess if they decided the cost was too high we could always go back to Stidham and Hoyer.

Unless we pretty much win out from here, there is zero chance we keep Cam at $25M (next year or AAV). He is on this team now because he is so cheap. I still think the possibility of signing him to a 3-4 year contact exists, but even with incentives, I don't think he gets close to that number with the Pats. If Rivera wants him at that price, then I guess he is headed to WAS.

Reportedly, the Cowboys are set to put the franchise tag on Dak again in 2021, but if we can hold off another year, then he might actually be an option (is there any chance he stays in DAL if the Cowboys tag him twice?).

« Reply #206 on: October 19, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

Unless we pretty much win out from here, there is zero chance we keep Cam at $25M (next year or AAV). He is on this team now because he is so cheap. I still think the possibility of signing him to a 3-4 year contact exists, but even with incentives, I don't think he gets close to that number with the Pats. If Rivera wants him at that price, then I guess he is headed to WAS.

Reportedly, the Cowboys are set to put the franchise tag on Dak again in 2021, but if we can hold off another year, then he might actually be an option (is there any chance he stays in DAL if the Cowboys tag him twice?).

I could be wrong but the Pats are projected to have over 60M in cap space next season even with COVID affecting cap space around the league. But yeah, obviously if you extend Cam Newton that eats into it. But it's not like they can't sign him, they absolutely can. The question will become, do they  want to.

Personally, Cam to me isn't the primary problem. This is the exact same stuff Brady dealt with last year. A 1st round WR pick that looks as good as me on the field. A few O-Line players go down and suddenly the O-Line looks meh, and then they really don't have any weapons besides Edelman and White but even the playcalls are predictable so teams just focus on Edelman and White.

And McDaniels can't do much because the personnel they have out there due to COVID and injuries means they are limited since they probably don't know the entire playbook.

Cam's made mistakes and certainly could play better. I thought he held on to the ball too long at certain points yesterday, but that's because guys can't get open and credit to Denver, for the most part they prevented Newton from making plays with his legs (except in that one drive in the 4th quarter).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #207 on: October 19, 2020, 09:25:27 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker

I could be wrong but the Pats are projected to have over 60M in cap space next season even with COVID affecting cap space around the league. But yeah, obviously if you extend Cam Newton that eats into it. But it's not like they can't sign him, they absolutely can. The question will become, do they  want to.

Personally, Cam to me isn't the primary problem. This is the exact same stuff Brady dealt with last year. A 1st round WR pick that looks as good as me on the field. A few O-Line players go down and suddenly the O-Line looks meh, and then they really don't have any weapons besides Edelman and White but even the playcalls are predictable so teams just focus on Edelman and White.

And McDaniels can't do much because the personnel they have out there due to COVID and injuries means they are limited since they probably don't know the entire playbook.

Cam's made mistakes and certainly could play better. I thought he held on to the ball too long at certain points yesterday, but that's because guys can't get open and credit to Denver, for the most part they prevented Newton from making plays with his legs (except in that one drive in the 4th quarter).
Cam certainly isn't perfect, but he's far from the biggest issue with our offense at the moment. Let's go down the list, shall we? Bad receivers, inconsistent at best run game, no tight end (still!!!), injury-prone O-line. At the moment our best aspects on offense would be Cam and our O-line (if they'll ever get completely healthy).

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #208 on: October 19, 2020, 10:36:09 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
WRs drafted after N'Keal Harry: Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Mecole Hardman, Andy Isabella, Terry McLaurin, Hunter Renfrow, Darius Slayton, and Scotty Miller.

Makes me a bit sad. Maybe we still have Brady if we drafted AJ Brown or DK Metcalf.

Re: Patriots 2020 Season
« Reply #209 on: October 19, 2020, 10:58:39 AM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
WRs drafted after N'Keal Harry: Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Mecole Hardman, Andy Isabella, Terry McLaurin, Hunter Renfrow, Darius Slayton, and Scotty Miller.

Makes me a bit sad. Maybe we still have Brady if we drafted AJ Brown or DK Metcalf.

This is more than a bit sad. Downright shameful commentary on Belichick's drafting ability. I can totally see this team missing the playoffs, and not even coming all that close actually.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis