Author Topic: Guilty Pleasure: Cavs fans crying over Nets pick  (Read 19771 times)

Re: Guilty Pleasure: Cavs fans crying over Nets pick
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 07:11:08 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Cavs lost that trade unless IT brings them a ring. Everything pointed to that pick being anywhere from 5-10 before the lottery results.
Considering Kyrie demanded to be traded, they actually got a good return assuming IT comes back and performs reasonably well this season.

Good return but Kyrie is the prize in the deal.

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 08:56:52 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
ah what a few months brings where so many people play the revisionist history game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 09:03:37 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
ah what a few months brings where so many people play the revisionist history game.

Not sure if you are referring to me big mo, but I feel like I have been pretty open about my take on the trade on here. When it happened I was pretty bummed and thought we got ripped off. I thought IT was as good as Kyrie and we were giving them a top 3 pick to boot. It also seemed like we were throwing in Zizic for free who others were high on. In the following months it became clear IT was not going to be ready to start the season and there became significant doubt raised on if the injury may impact him going forward. Meanwhile a lot of the league imploded (did ya see the clippers play without Blake last night?) and the nets got scrappy. The pick would need some real magic to get too 3 and has a very reasonable chance of being 8th or 9th as more and more teams join the tank wars. Obviously from the Cavs forum you can see the cavs fans realize the pick is losing value. Hence the thread

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 09:12:40 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
not you per se, but everyone in this thread makes it seem like they were always on board with the trade, which just wasn't the case.  Most of this board was very upset when the trade was made, calling for Danny's head, saying we traded a top 3 pick for a lesser player and giving up a starter, etc.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:12 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
not you per se, but everyone in this thread makes it seem like they were always on board with the trade, which just wasn't the case.  Most of this board was very upset when the trade was made, calling for Danny's head, saying we traded a top 3 pick for a lesser player and giving up a starter, etc.

Most of this board did not feel that way. From what I recall, there is no doubt that people initially thought we overpaid, but understood that Kyrie was a better investment than IT for the future. And, while giving up the BKN pick was killer at the time, many were giving Danny a semi-pass since he was the one who initially made the incredible deal that brought those picks here in the first place (he 'earned' the right). He had also just acquired another high pick from Philly in the Tatum deal so that took away from some of the 'sting.' I can only recall a couple of people 'calling for Danny's head' and those people were quickly shut down.

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 09:38:52 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
all history is revisionist in that all histories are narratives authored by people who are located in particular historical, economic, social, cultural, and political settings. being "first in line" does not change this and make "original" authorings automatically more credible.

whew....got that cultural studies blast out of the way.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 09:41:37 AM »

Offline estendius

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
If DA Rusell and Lin is not injuried, the Nets is much better than now.
Hope they can finish top 10 pick.

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 09:51:47 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

Most of this board did not feel that way. From what I recall, there is no doubt that people initially thought we overpaid, but understood that Kyrie was a better investment than IT for the future. And, while giving up the BKN pick was killer at the time, many were giving Danny a semi-pass since he was the one who initially made the incredible deal that brought those picks here in the first place (he 'earned' the right). He had also just acquired another high pick from Philly in the Tatum deal so that took away from some of the 'sting.' I can only recall a couple of people 'calling for Danny's head' and those people were quickly shut down.

Yeah, I think Moranis is revising history a bit here.

Many thought we significantly overpaid initially, but that was mainly due to IT's injury significance not being reported at the time. Hell, everyone thought he'd be ready for training camp or at the latest the season opener when the rumors first started, and it wasn't until Cleveland started wanting more that IT's injury significance started becoming clearer.

Context matters.

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 10:33:56 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
This will be the only entertainment I would need for the rest of the day.

This is glorious, absolutely...

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I kind of hope they trade that Nets Pick for someone who honestly doesn't truly thread the needle for them (like DeAndre Jordan)  :laugh:

Hopefully not Cousins though (because he would "thread the needle"). Fortunately Pelicans doing decent so they may not sell at the deadline.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2017, 11:12:34 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I was pro trade, and still am, but honestly feel it is way too early to judge it. BKLN could still crash, CLE could trade pick for a great player, Kryie could slack off on D.

Plus CLE is currently on a 10 game win streak WITHOUT IT.  If IT comes back anywhere near his 2016-17 self, CLE is going to be really tough to beat.  That goes for GSW as well.

Much too early to gloat.

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2017, 11:44:53 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
I was pro trade, and still am, but honestly feel it is way too early to judge it. BKLN could still crash, CLE could trade pick for a great player, Kryie could slack off on D.

Plus CLE is currently on a 10 game win streak WITHOUT IT.  If IT comes back anywhere near his 2016-17 self, CLE is going to be really tough to beat.  That goes for GSW as well.

Much too early to gloat.

Yeah you can't judge who won the trade for a few years.

Also have to see how Zizic does and whether the Cavs get their Isaiah Thomas with that 2020 Miami 2nd rounder  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2017, 11:50:10 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
There's a long way to go in the season. Brooklyn is a bottom-3 team.

Mike

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2017, 12:06:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

Much too early to gloat.

I don't really feel it is too early to judge the trade. We have had over 1/4 of a season to see how Kyrie has fit into the Cs culture and Stevens' system and it has shown that he fits incredibly well. Unless Stevens begins to rub Kyrie the wrong way (doubtful), then I don't really see how this blows up.

If you are of the belief that Danny wouldn't (or shouldn't) have signed IT to a max contract after the season and you were okay with letting go of Crowder to open up more time for Brown/Tatum, then it really comes down to if you thought/think the BKN pick is worth Kyrie. Personally, I would have been extremely happy if we drafted a player as good as Kyrie with that pick. And, at 25 years old, we should be able to get another 10 years of All-Star level play out of him. We also don't have to wait for him to mature - as he is already entering his prime.

Now, if Kyrie leaves after the 2018-19 season, then we can re-visit this discussion  :D

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
There's a long way to go in the season. Brooklyn is a bottom-3 team.

Mike

On what basis? It sure isn't on any statistics, point differentials or the standings? Just kind of trolling?