Author Topic: What is a realistic timeline for Tacko to break the rotation  (Read 1770 times)

What is a realistic timeline for Tacko to break the rotation
« on: October 12, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »

Offline GRADYCOLNON

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
I personally don't see it.  His size and mobility have been nice. But his success has barely come against fringe end of bench players or rookies. 

When do we think it is realistic to expect to be good enough to warrant serious minutes to the Celtics? 

I'm just concerned the Celtics will let him go somewhere else because they don't see him developing into the role player within at least two seasons. 

Any ideas?

Re: What is a realistic timeline for Tacko to break the rotation
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2019, 09:24:47 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think Tacko will end up in Maine, either with that last roster spot or on a two-way. How long they give him will depend on how he develops. As long as they think he has potential to contribute, they'll keep trying to develop him. If after a year or two it seems clear that he's not going to make it they'll cut him loose. He's looked better than I expected thus far, but I still think he's a long shot to be a rotation player in the NBA.

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2019, 09:26:39 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I don’t think he will.

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2019, 10:45:20 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
2022?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 11:04:32 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
I think he's at least 2 years away from serious minutes. He needs to learn to hold the ball differently, the way he holds it, because of his height, it's very easy to steal. He needs to get a lot lower when dribbling the ball, and hold the ball up and away. He could draw a leaf out of Porzingis' book, Porzingis is only 3 inches shorter and handles the ball very well for his height. Also he needs to learn to pass out of double teams as those will happen every time he gets the ball. And he needs to learn where to stand on D, he's going to be very prone to getting whistled for defensive 3 seconds in the NBA, which he did in the first preseason game just standing in the key. Obviously not something he needed to worry about it college. He just needs to be more decisive about what he does.

He's going to be a very situational player. On the plus side, his presence on the floor alters shots and changes the offense of the other team. And he's hilarious to watch  ;D
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 11:54:21 PM »

Offline Fierce1

• NGT
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 121
Tacko can be useful in situational substitutions.

For example, the Celts need a defensive stop because the Celts are leading and the opposing team has possession with seconds to play.

Sooner or later Tacko will become an NBA player.
We just have to be patient.

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 06:08:14 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
They should give him some playing time one game to see how he does against true NBA players.   If they don't one game then I don't think he is part of our timeline.

Also, it is often bad when folks keep talking more about what a nice person a person is rather than their basketball skills.

I was hoping it would be different but I am not sure he is really part of the plan for Ainge and Co.

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 07:06:23 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Never. Too big and slow. 3rd string center at best.

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 08:59:17 AM »

Offline mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 610
How long did they give Perk to develop?

Is he that much worse than Perkins was when he entered the league?

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 09:26:38 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
How long did they give Perk to develop?

Is he that much worse than Perkins was when he entered the league?
things such as this are easy to look up and can be done prior to posting.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/perkike01.html

in year one, his rookie year, perk averaged 3.1 minutes, with 2.2 pts and 1.4 rb per game. clearly not ready for prime time.

in year two, perk averaged 9.1 minutes, with 2.5 pts and 2.9 rbs per game.

in year three, the m/g average shot up to 19.6 and he averaged 5.2 points each game and a hefty 5.9 rbs each game.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am not sure there is a realistic timeline to break into the rotation. Any guess could be too soon and there is a much greater chance than zero he never really does break the rotation.

One thing is quite clear in seeing him struggle against horrible competition, he won't be breaking the rotation this year, that is, unless Theis, Kanter, Timelord and Poirier are all injured at the same time and no one else is available.

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Like others have said.  Pretty much from this year to infinity.