Author Topic: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??  (Read 13365 times)

Re: Are We Sure Marcus Smart Is Going To Get A Ton In RFA??
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2017, 01:49:59 PM »

Offline AUS_Celtics

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 5
The Boston Celtics should offer him $48M for Four (4) years with performance bonuses and incentives. He can get his $13-15M by achieving certain benchmarks like 40-45% FG and 35-40% 3PT. This, I believe, would be best for both player and franchise. Thank you!
Fake the funk!

« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2017, 02:54:10 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The Boston Celtics should offer him $48M for Four (4) years with performance bonuses and incentives. He can get his $13-15M by achieving certain benchmarks like 40-45% FG and 35-40% 3PT. This, I believe, would be best for both player and franchise. Thank you!
I'd be all for that yet feel someone will just guarantee him 16 million per at 3 years.

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Marcus was given a humongous opportunity this year with the Hayward injury and he is laying the biggest egg ever. We all talk about his clutch plays - and it is hard to argue against this - but whose spot is he even going to take at the end of games next year? Tatum will be over a full year in and Brown is already a borderline all-star.

I just don't see where people get these huge #s from ($14M+/yr), but I do hope we can keep him.

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2017, 05:04:48 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

Without knowledge of what 12M means in terms of cap/tax impact or player comps to justify the amount -- it sounds on its surface about right.  More would feel like an overpay. That said, Marcus is a difference-maker who probably will  harness his skills over time just as Tony Allen did -  HE can be a prime contributor to a good team.  He has value and I'm sure DA knows the right limit.

« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2017, 05:14:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He won't get Olynyk money. Olynyk is a stretch 4 that scores efficiently and plays decent team defense. That's valuable in today's game. A defensive minded combo guard that can't shoot can found much more easily. MLE is all he is worth in today's offensive minded game.
This is where I see him also. The max he gets from the Celtics is 3/27 with the third year a team option. He has earned rotation minutes because of effort, defense and ball handling. He is not a reliable enough scorer to warrant bigger money.

Terry Rozier may take his job as second unit playmaker  next year if we don't re sign him.

Bigger question is who do we keep between him and Baynes if it comes to that? They may both be in the same salary range.
I don't think it's a Baynes or Smart situation.  We have no bird rights to Baynes iirc so we have to pay him with an exception(MLE most likely) or cap money.  we have no cap room next year so unless he takes the MLE to return, he's gone.  I'd be surprised if he doesn't command that much next season.  Smart is someone we can resign without cap interference. 

« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2017, 06:20:44 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Marcus was given a humongous opportunity this year with the Hayward injury and he is laying the biggest egg ever. We all talk about his clutch plays - and it is hard to argue against this - but whose spot is he even going to take at the end of games next year? Tatum will be over a full year in and Brown is already a borderline all-star.

I just don't see where people get these huge #s from ($14M+/yr), but I do hope we can keep him.

Good point. Assuming health (a big assumption, I know), I think the Celtics will have (and should have) Hayward, Horford, Irving, Tatum, and Brown to start and close out games. I don't think Smart is worth $14M+ a year, but they definitely can't be paying someone that much money who can't even close a game.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2017, 08:26:13 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 306
Celtics are going to do everything they can to stay out of the luxury tax next year, because they know they'll be into the tax in 2019.

Smart isn't going to get anywhere near the $12-$15 million some have predicted, but he'd have to be way below that for the Celtics to sign him, IMO. No team is going to pay that kind of $$ for the worst shooting guard in the league, a guy who isn't and won't be a starter.

« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2017, 08:47:28 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
Celtics are going to do everything they can to stay out of the luxury tax next year, because they know they'll be into the tax in 2019.

Smart isn't going to get anywhere near the $12-$15 million some have predicted, but he'd have to be way below that for the Celtics to sign him, IMO. No team is going to pay that kind of $$ for the worst shooting guard in the league, a guy who isn't and won't be a starter.

not only that, I think the list of teams that can use a guy like Marcus smart are small. It needs to be a good team where he can be just a role-player. If teams are paying him to be a big contributer on offense they will get blown out of the building.

And I dont think teams are going to be lining up to  pay big $ to a one dimensional player who is shooting 25% on average and 25% from 3s!

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2017, 08:57:26 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

Good point. Assuming health (a big assumption, I know), I think the Celtics will have (and should have) Hayward, Horford, Irving, Tatum, and Brown to start and close out games. I don't think Smart is worth $14M+ a year, but they definitely can't be paying someone that much money who can't even close a game.

That's quite a jump from Irving/Tatum/Brown/Hayward are better players to Smart "can't even close a game."

If that's our starting 5 with Smart as the 6th man, that's one hell of a team.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 09:28:50 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

That's quite a jump from Irving/Tatum/Brown/Hayward are better players to Smart "can't even close a game."

In a close, possession game, need to do offense/defense subbing if you want Marcus on the floor. It's not clear that he is the player that would close a game unless we have a lead.

And I wouldn't pencil him in as a default 6th man either.  That could just as easily be the other Marcus on our current roster. Or whomever ends up being signed with the DPE. 6th man used to be a starter-level player who comes off the bench, and I'm not sure Smart fits that definition. In my view, Brown flat beat him out for the starting job. Not close. And if I had another team that he was the starter on, I'd be looking for an upgrade because that team would have gaping holes.

At some point, the game should hopefully slow down for Rozier. If that happens this season, we just flat out don't need to pay Marcus. NBA rosters are top-heavy on salary, which makes it both very difficult and very necessary to keep the salary commitments to role players and backups in check.

Most likely comes back on the QO, or signs a 4 year MLE deal, possibly with an opt out somewhere and maybe a trade kicker. That would be fair. Give him a million dollar championship bonus for fun even.

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2017, 10:42:01 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
The Boston Celtics should offer him $48M for Four (4) years with performance bonuses and incentives. He can get his $13-15M by achieving certain benchmarks like 40-45% FG and 35-40% 3PT

I hope Ainge does not overpay because I would rather spend that money on Brown and Tatum to be honest.

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2017, 11:45:18 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

My point is that if those five starters are healthy, they'll also be the ones closing games, most likely. Which means the Cs would be paying Smart $14M+ to sit on the bench at the end of games. Which seems absurd to me.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2017, 12:15:28 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
At this rate he'll be lucky to get a generous offering of "Zoinks Points".  Jinkies :laugh:.

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2017, 12:23:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really think a major factor in Smart returning under contract will be if the LA pick conveys. If it does thiis team is going to have a special rookie that they will have to pay $5-6 million per year too. Ainge may have to look at doing everything he can to stay out of the luxury tax and a rookie might be a better investment than Smart.

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2017, 01:24:42 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
DA could always sign Smart to a Bradley or Crowder kind of contract and ship him out for assets.
I moved the cheese.