Author Topic: Who can the Celtics get for Brandan Wright?  (Read 11102 times)

Re: Who can the Celtics get for Brandan Wright?
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2014, 10:53:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
I think we package him with Green to get a young player from a contending team.

ESPN's trade checker tells me that Wright can't be combined with another player in a deal.

RealGM doesn't say anything about such a restriction.

Can anyone confirm either way?

I think the reason we needed the trade to happen when it did was because it still gave us a chance to package the [former] Mavs players with other players within a day or two of the trade deadline. However, I believe any of them can be traded individually right now.
Correct. I did some checking and wright or wrong, he can only be traded by himself. At the trade deadline he can be combined with other players.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2014, 11:10:08 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I think we package him with Green to get a young player from a contending team.

ESPN's trade checker tells me that Wright can't be combined with another player in a deal.

RealGM doesn't say anything about such a restriction.

Can anyone confirm either way?

I think the reason we needed the trade to happen when it did was because it still gave us a chance to package the [former] Mavs players with other players within a day or two of the trade deadline. However, I believe any of them can be traded individually right now.

OK, I did some hunting and found this on the salary cap FAQ site. It matches what you are saying.

For two months after receiving the player in trade, if the trade aggregates the player's salary with the salaries of other players. However, the team is free to trade the player immediately, either by himself or without aggregating his salary with other salaries. This restriction applies only to players who were acquired using an exception (and not cap room). (Also see question number 88.)

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100

I guess the key is that we got an exception in the deal (my bold).

Thanks and have a TP. [Edit - you too HJ, just saw your response.]

« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2014, 11:14:19 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Rajon Rondo, as long as they throw in a guy with dreadlocks, a guy who took steroids, and a trade exception. Oh, and a mediocre pick!

« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »

Offline lour

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Cant get much for him until Stevens actually plays the guy..

I already dont like Wright. He's a skinny, 6'9" PF/C. I've never really understood Danny's love for undersized PF/Cs. My worst nightmare is that Wright turns into the next Mark Blount and Danny throws him a ridiculous contract to keep him.

« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2014, 11:45:12 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
At the deadline we can package Wright with other players so here's a proposal:

Boston sends: Wright, Green, Turner, LAC 1st

Charlotte sends: Williams, Henderson, Vonleh, Cha 2015 1st (top 5 protected).

« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 11:45:15 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Cant get much for him until Stevens actually plays the guy..

I already dont like Wright. He's a skinny, 6'9" PF/C. I've never really understood Danny's love for undersized PF/Cs. My worst nightmare is that Wright turns into the next Mark Blount and Danny throws him a ridiculous contract to keep him.

Undersized but talented players tend to be more undervalued than athletic players with prototypical size who don't actually produce on the floor.  It's massively horrid to make a knee-jerk reaction to a player based solely on size.  It may make success more of an uphill climb, but it doesn't make him inherently unsuited for a spot in the rotation or even a starting job.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2014, 12:03:20 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551

You wouldn't need to wait till the deadline.  You could do Wright for Henderson in one trade and then do a second trade for the rest. 

« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2014, 02:19:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Maybe a couple of 2nd round picks but not much else.
We are certainly not getting a late first rounder for him lol.
If you think it's gonna be hard getting a late first rounder for Jeff Green what do we think Wright will fetch?

Well, before the Cs acquired him he was considered the most efficient big man sub in the league and was most certainly worth a late first rounder. Now he is just an average big struggling to get minutes on a bad team. Why is he worth anymore than Kris Humphries (a TPE)?

Honestly, if all we are getting is a 2nd round pick, then I see no need to trade him. I was really hoping Danny knew something about Wright that the rest of the league didn't - meaning that the Rondo deal was actually worth it. I guess that was just stupid of me, though.

NBA GMs know what Wright is good for.
He's good as a hustling, rebounding big that will run the floor with your second unit and will cover poor rotations with weak side shot blocking. He runs the pick and roll and also defends the pick and roll. Sure he was incredibly efficient, but against elite bigs in the west he was consistently crushed due to his lack of strength- he also doesn't play a lot of minutes because he sucks against NBA starters.

Put it this way, if Brandon Bass can't get a first rounder, and Jeff Green can't get a first round pick, what makes you think that a good back up big man will fetch a first round pick?
What's most important here is probably the fact that he's expiring- if he had another year or two on his deal then I could possibly see a team giving up a pick in the 25-30 range but that's 5 or 7 teams in the NBA so it's very specific.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2014, 09:44:35 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Before Wright is traded, he needs to establish value. He can't do that sitting on the bench.

I'd like to see what the guy can do on the floor. So far I haven't seen much too much.

His value is already set.  He has a portfolio of consistent work on a playoff team for multiple seasons. 

« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2014, 09:53:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

You wouldn't need to wait till the deadline.  You could do Wright for Henderson in one trade and then do a second trade for the rest. 
good point but I wouldn't touch this deal regardless of how it's structure.

3 solid rotation players and a 1st
FOR
a nobody (Williams), a SG that's not progressing and would add more clutter to what we have without being an obvious step forward (Henderson - and I was really high on this kid 2 years ago), a PF prospect who isn't showing anything and again adds clutter to what we have without being a step forward (Vonleh - who Danny passed on this year and apparently without second thought) and a 1st that will be outside the lottery and a marginal move up in draft order over the pick we're giving up especially when Charlotte adds these players and starts to climb into the playoff picture in the weak East.

« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2014, 12:38:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo

good point but I wouldn't touch this deal regardless of how it's structure.

3 solid rotation players and a 1st
FOR
a nobody (Williams), a SG that's not progressing and would add more clutter to what we have without being an obvious step forward (Henderson - and I was really high on this kid 2 years ago), a PF prospect who isn't showing anything and again adds clutter to what we have without being a step forward (Vonleh - who Danny passed on this year and apparently without second thought) and a 1st that will be outside the lottery and a marginal move up in draft order over the pick we're giving up especially when Charlotte adds these players and starts to climb into the playoff picture in the weak East.

Charlotte's in tatters right now. Big Al is out for a month. Stephenson is out and not playing well anyway. They're at #6 now and I think even with the new arrivals you're looking at a pick in the 10-12 range.

I agree that Williams and Henderson are filler only. But if you split it up I think you can see that we're getting good value. E.g.,

Wright and LAC 1st for Cha 1st: I think many people would be happy to get a late 1st for Wright. Isn't packaging him and #22 for #12 better value?

Green and Turner for Vonleh: All depends on what you think of Vonleh, but he was a top 10 pick last year. Again, if you think a mid to late 1st is good value for Green, this is even better.

« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2014, 01:49:03 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Wright's a glue guy -- he will almost certainly be traded to a playoff team.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)