Author Topic: Kaman for Jeff Green?  (Read 9175 times)

Kaman for Jeff Green?
« on: May 16, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Thought I would throw this out there and see what people thought.

Chris Kaman for Jeff Green and a filler like a Krstic S+T.

I think the Clippers are prime to move Kaman. Deandre and Blake fit well together and Kaman has injury history. Also LAC lacks a SF big time since Aminu is so raw.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

Re: Kaman for Jeff Green?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

Online bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
no way

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2011, 01:07:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Thought I would throw this out there and see what people thought.

Chris Kaman for Jeff Green and a filler like a Krstic S+T.

I think the Clippers are prime to move Kaman. Deandre and Blake fit well together and Kaman has injury history. Also LAC lacks a SF big time since Aminu is so raw.

It's been bandied about on the boards here. Certainly one option to consider.

Question is whether the Clippers would want Green. Perhaps they'd prefer to develop Aminu as their SF of the future. Or perhaps they'd prefer to make a FA signing.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2011, 01:12:26 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I think it needs to be an option.  It all depends on Kaman's health though.  If his injuries are something which seem to be long-term I wouldn't do it, but if he has a clean bill of health I'd pull the trigger.  We desperately need size.  He also only has 1 year left on his contract so it would still give us cap flexibility.
do it

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 01:34:19 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I'd do it.  I think Kamen would be a great fit.

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 01:37:40 PM »

Offline Kakopedi

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 2
I'd rather stick with Green.

How bout Pierce for Kaman +filler AND Minny's 2012 unprotected(I think)pick!

Would you do it?

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 01:39:35 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It's certainly an interesting possibility.  My biggest concern is Kaman's durability though.  He has a lot of trouble staying on the court.

Ultimately, this would depend on whether Green would resign for a reasonable number (or take the QO).  If it looks like he will get more than the C's want to pay, they could do worse than a deal like this.  But all things equal, I would prefer to give Green a shot with a full training camp, and address the need for a center another way.  

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 01:51:28 PM »

Online bello_man09

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 259
  • "Celtic for life" REBUILD OR TANK
Kaman is the last thing we need...all this season we waited on people getting healthy from  J.O and D west its ridiculous to even consider Kaman...

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 01:52:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2731
I'd rather stick with Green.

How bout Pierce for Kaman +filler AND Minny's 2012 unprotected(I think)pick!

Would you do it?

I just half to laugh at all of the Pierce offers people keep throwing out there, because there is no way this team trades Pierce while Wyc is still the owner.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Trading Pierce for Kaman was a hypothetical in an article on RealGM:

There are teams in the latter group that seem to be better trade partners, if they are interested. These are the teams that have attractive draft picks and a possible willingness to trade them, if only because they have the superstar already on the roster and need veteran seasoning desperately. Consider a team like the Clippers that has a likely superstar in Blake Griffin and some other young talent but needs veteran leadership and has a Grand Canyon-sized hole at the small forward position. Pierce might be just what the Clippers need to vault to a 50 win team, and prove to Los Angeles and Griffin they are serious about winning. Los Angeles is also Pierce’s hometown. The Clippers might be willing to trade Chris Kaman and the Minnesota unprotected 2012 No. 1 pick for Pierce. (Kaman’s contract expires in 2012; the Clippers seem inclined to put DeAndre Jordan at center.)

Read more: http://basketball.realgm.com/article/213674/Whither_The_Celtics_Four_Paths_to_the_Future#ixzz1MXTNivVy

It would theoretically make some sense, because it would give us a playoff team (probably non-contender) in 2011-12 (if we even have that season), and then in 2012 we'd have Ray, KG and Pierce all off the books... so plenty of caproom to build around Rondo, Jeff Green and multiple draft picks.

That is a "blow it up" scenario, though.  I would rather not trade Pierce... but I spent some time thinking of other teams that would potentially give up pieces for Pierce.  Couldn't think of any, really... thought about some deal with Portland that would revolve around dangerous Greg Oden and draft picks, but figured that would kill the "Dwight Howard" dream.

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2011, 02:28:04 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
No to the Pierce idea, maybe to the Green idea. I'd probably say No, just because I have 0 confidence in this team keeping a big man healthy, but Kaman would be a big upgrade. They could even use Kristic or JO as the backup PF. Then go after one of the many available swing men (Grant Hill, Shane Battier, etc.) Ideally they'd also find an athletic PF.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2011, 02:35:23 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2731
I think Danny and Doc hinted at the idea that with the rule changes the last few years, and the way the game is called overall nowadays, big men are not as effective as they used to be, speed and athleticism is favored now over size in the current NBA. I think that's partly why they made the Perkins trade, and I think they are not going to go after Dwight Howard, they are going to go for young, athletic, quick scorers who can run alongside Rondo and surround them with whatever rebounding big men they can get on the cheap.  In that sense, trading for Kaman would be a bad
idea. Just look at how effective Howard was in carrying the magic this season in the playoffs or how well Gasol and Bynum did for the lakers and you get the sense that this is really the case now.

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2011, 02:54:33 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I think Danny and Doc hinted at the idea that with the rule changes the last few years, and the way the game is called overall nowadays, big men are not as effective as they used to be, speed and athleticism is favored now over size in the current NBA. I think that's partly why they made the Perkins trade, and I think they are not going to go after Dwight Howard, they are going to go for young, athletic, quick scorers who can run alongside Rondo and surround them with whatever rebounding big men they can get on the cheap.  In that sense, trading for Kaman would be a bad
idea. Just look at how effective Howard was in carrying the magic this season in the playoffs or how well Gasol and Bynum did for the lakers and you get the sense that this is really the case now.

Good point about the rule changes favoring speed and athleticism. Yeah tying up all that money in Kaman with not much to build around him doesn't make sense to me.

I'd rather go for broke with a superstar, or get young entertaining bodies to run with Rondo and hit the lottery.

One other thought on why the center position isn't as powerful a position as it once was: The top centers in the NBA are about the worst they have been in decades.

Howard, Bynum, busted Duncan, Bogut can't hold crap against the likes of Olajuwon, Robinson, Shaq, Mourning, Duncan in the 90s...
or Jabbar, Olajuwon, M.Malone, Ewing of the 80s
and so on.

When a skilled superstar center enters the NBA again. Look out!

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2011, 03:00:20 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Great post, TP.

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2011, 03:11:54 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
No.

Next season, Jeff Green is going to make people say "Sorry, I was wrong". You can go back and use this post for reference.