Author Topic: Ja Morant (Suspended 25 Games)  (Read 5163 times)

Re: Ja morant
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2023, 08:20:16 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
Did Morant violate any provision of the CBA this past time?   

If not, was he under some sort of probation after his initial suspension?

I believe he was on probation for first event. Also from what I remember the players union did not protest his first suspension very much, which is quite unusual. Most companies have sort of honor code or code of conduct clause. For me, working in social media I have seen hundreds of issues caused by social media activity that may not be technically illegal. For example, if someone is caught on a video that goes viral on Twitter yelling the n word at someone they are almost always fired. I am a bit perplexed that people don’t think this is justified. Also I agree with others that pushing this till after finals suggests it is something really big.

Well, it's not so much that it's not justified in a moral sense.  But with the CBA, they need clear legal authority.  I'm just curious what provision they're going to use when they suspend him.

If the NBA as the employer has already warned you about these actions and how they're detrimental to the company, and you still do them, I don't think what provision they use to reason their actions is particularly of interest.

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2023, 09:00:56 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 322
Ja is a complete knucklehead. He's a young kid that grew up in the burbs, but wants people to think he grew up in the hood. Even at 6'2, he's skinny and doesn't play great defense. Basically, he wants people to think that he's tougher than he is. This isn't a second amendment issue- its a kid trying to show off. I'm not sure I want that guy leading my franchise with these decisions.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 11:29:00 AM by green_bballers13 »

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2023, 11:22:54 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 878
I have suspected, and posted, that I think part of the issue with Udoka is that he may have lied or not been fully forthcoming with Wyc and/or Stevens.   I don't know any of this of course but if Wyc had asked him about it and Udoka assured him he would stop or assured him there was nothing to it but then the investigation revealed otherwise, this would lead Wyc to respond more strongly.  I get the feeling that the same kind of thing may be in play now with Morant.  He had met with Silver and said all the right things but then went right back out and did the same things again.

As to what he has done, I share the concern or confusion over why it is OK for Congressmen to send out Christmas Cards with their children holding assault rifles but it is not OK for a NBA player to wave his gun in public.  Silver can fall back on "conduct detrimental to the league".  That is pretty vague and broad.  And I think NBA players driving around and waving guns is detrimental to the league.  I don't think the Players Assoc. wants players doing this any more than the league does.  But there is some irony (at a minimum) here.

Laws allow you to stand your ground, make citizen's arrests.  Recent cases have shown that you can shoot someone for pretty much any reason so long as you say you felt threatened.  You can travel from another state, walk the streets with a rifle, and then shoot someone and not get convicted.  Just say you were threatened.  I don't like seeing what Morant did.  I think it is dangerous for him and others.  But isn't that exactly what gun advocates, 2nd amendment advocates want?  People bring assault rifles to protests at State Houses and are patriots in the eyes of many.  Why isn't Morant a great Patriot for having a gun?  Why hasn't the NRA spoken out in his defense?

Ironic.

Do you know exactly what the league has found and what line of a contract  they are going to pursue a punishment? No you don't, so lets find out if he broke company policy. I'm not saying I support what could happen to him, but lets wait for all the facts.

As for the rest of your post ::)
You're taking the hyperbole a little too far.  Lemme guess, you think the pro gun people are not rushing to he defense due to race. I'd bank on it. If I'm off base, then my apologies.

I thought that I was pretty clear that I agree with the league that his actions are "detrimental", I think the league does need to act in some way to address this.  And as someone else said, there were other things around this that happened too.  I am not being critical of the league on this.

To me, the irony is the public reaction to this.  I am not trying to judge if race is a factor or not.  In my mind, if it was a white NBA player doing exactly the same things in exactly the same settings, I actually think the public reaction would be the same by and large.  But if Morant is a knuckle head or an idiot for this, why isn't Kyle Rittenhouse a knucklehead and and idiot for what he did?  Or  Thomas Massie (he is the KY rep with the Christmas card with his kids holding assault rifles, check the link below if you have not seen this) an idiot?  It seems that sometimes, being a gun owner makes you a patriot, a great American, standing up for the constitution, even if you do something stupid with the gun.  Other times, it makes you a knucklehead and and idiot.  I don't understand the distinction.

To me, what Kyle Rittenhouse did with his gun, the choices he made with his gun, was far worse than anything Morant did with his gun.  And I think what Rep. Massie did was far dumber, than what Morant did.  Can you imagine if Morant posted a Christmas card on Instagram with his whole family holding assault rifles?  Or if Morant took his gun into a protest and shot someone?

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/christmas-card-guns-lauren-boebert-thomas-massie-start-new-culture-ncna1285709

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2023, 12:55:23 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
I have suspected, and posted, that I think part of the issue with Udoka is that he may have lied or not been fully forthcoming with Wyc and/or Stevens.   I don't know any of this of course but if Wyc had asked him about it and Udoka assured him he would stop or assured him there was nothing to it but then the investigation revealed otherwise, this would lead Wyc to respond more strongly.  I get the feeling that the same kind of thing may be in play now with Morant.  He had met with Silver and said all the right things but then went right back out and did the same things again.

As to what he has done, I share the concern or confusion over why it is OK for Congressmen to send out Christmas Cards with their children holding assault rifles but it is not OK for a NBA player to wave his gun in public.  Silver can fall back on "conduct detrimental to the league".  That is pretty vague and broad.  And I think NBA players driving around and waving guns is detrimental to the league.  I don't think the Players Assoc. wants players doing this any more than the league does.  But there is some irony (at a minimum) here.

Laws allow you to stand your ground, make citizen's arrests.  Recent cases have shown that you can shoot someone for pretty much any reason so long as you say you felt threatened.  You can travel from another state, walk the streets with a rifle, and then shoot someone and not get convicted.  Just say you were threatened.  I don't like seeing what Morant did.  I think it is dangerous for him and others.  But isn't that exactly what gun advocates, 2nd amendment advocates want?  People bring assault rifles to protests at State Houses and are patriots in the eyes of many.  Why isn't Morant a great Patriot for having a gun?  Why hasn't the NRA spoken out in his defense?

Ironic.

Do you know exactly what the league has found and what line of a contract  they are going to pursue a punishment? No you don't, so lets find out if he broke company policy. I'm not saying I support what could happen to him, but lets wait for all the facts.

As for the rest of your post ::)
You're taking the hyperbole a little too far.  Lemme guess, you think the pro gun people are not rushing to he defense due to race. I'd bank on it. If I'm off base, then my apologies.

I thought that I was pretty clear that I agree with the league that his actions are "detrimental", I think the league does need to act in some way to address this.  And as someone else said, there were other things around this that happened too.  I am not being critical of the league on this.

To me, the irony is the public reaction to this.  I am not trying to judge if race is a factor or not.  In my mind, if it was a white NBA player doing exactly the same things in exactly the same settings, I actually think the public reaction would be the same by and large.  But if Morant is a knuckle head or an idiot for this, why isn't Kyle Rittenhouse a knucklehead and and idiot for what he did?  Or  Thomas Massie (he is the KY rep with the Christmas card with his kids holding assault rifles, check the link below if you have not seen this) an idiot?  It seems that sometimes, being a gun owner makes you a patriot, a great American, standing up for the constitution, even if you do something stupid with the gun.  Other times, it makes you a knucklehead and and idiot.  I don't understand the distinction.

To me, what Kyle Rittenhouse did with his gun, the choices he made with his gun, was far worse than anything Morant did with his gun.  And I think what Rep. Massie did was far dumber, than what Morant did.  Can you imagine if Morant posted a Christmas card on Instagram with his whole family holding assault rifles?  Or if Morant took his gun into a protest and shot someone?

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/christmas-card-guns-lauren-boebert-thomas-massie-start-new-culture-ncna1285709

I don’t know how we could measure the percentages of what people think morant is an idiot but the other guys you mentioned are not, but I can assure you there is a very good percentage of the population that thinks all 3 are idiots.

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2023, 02:40:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I believe he was on probation for first event. Also from what I remember the players union did not protest his first suspension very much, which is quite unusual. Most companies have sort of honor code or code of conduct clause. For me, working in social media I have seen hundreds of issues caused by social media activity that may not be technically illegal. For example, if someone is caught on a video that goes viral on Twitter yelling the n word at someone they are almost always fired. I am a bit perplexed that people don’t think this is justified. Also I agree with others that pushing this till after finals suggests it is something really big.

Well, it's not so much that it's not justified in a moral sense.  But with the CBA, they need clear legal authority.  I'm just curious what provision they're going to use when they suspend him.

If the NBA as the employer has already warned you about these actions and how they're detrimental to the company, and you still do them, I don't think what provision they use to reason their actions is particularly of interest.

You don't care, but the NBAPA and an arbitrator will.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2023, 03:30:27 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

You don't care, but the NBAPA and an arbitrator will.

Roy are you as a lawyer saying the conduct detrimental to the league clause doesn’t seem like it would hold up? Also this is pure speculation but they could documented a warning when he met with silver previously?

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2023, 03:32:25 PM »

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
I think The Real Problem with his video post was his complete lack of Gun Safety knowledge! He is taking what looks like a 9mm automatic and putting it up to his face and laughing. Not Safe! he is also on the Dance Floor waiving it around as he dances. Holy Crap! How is that Not a bad thing?
Safety is the Most important thing when handling any firearm!!

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2023, 04:28:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Do you think Ja Morant should still be suspended even if he was flashing a toy gun on IG live? Or is that too excessive?

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2023, 05:18:24 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Do you think Ja Morant should still be suspended even if he was flashing a toy gun on IG live? Or is that too excessive?

I would suspend him an extra ten for lying and coming up with preposterous response.

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2023, 06:45:33 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Now that the Finals are over, wonder when we'll hear about this
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2023, 06:50:34 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2975
He got a little Kyrie in him .  Marching to his own drummer.

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2023, 07:15:50 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 417
Now that the Finals are over, wonder when we'll hear about this
I say next Monday
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2023, 11:27:18 AM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2023, 11:38:33 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
On Celtics side of this Memphis becomes and interesting Brogdon trade destination.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Ja Morant (Suspended 25 Games)
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2023, 11:41:11 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
Awful.

Grizz can weather a 25 game suspension. Morant missed 21 games last season and 25 games the year before. So they have done this the last two seasons and done it well. I forget but I believe they have had a better W-L percentage without Ja Morant. So they can weather him missing 25 games without much problem.

Good opportunity for Tyus Jones to once again show his quality. I believe he'll be a FA in 12 months time as well. So this could work out well for him financially.