Author Topic: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?  (Read 11701 times)

Re: So all of a sudden we may be back to 4 picks?
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2019, 10:25:56 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Big day for picks.

Memphis in Orlando (go Memphis)
Mavericks in Houston (go Houston)
Minny at NYK (go minny)

Unless my math is messed up a mavs loss and a memphis win puts Memphis at the 8th best pick in the draft. Inching closer to that pick translating this year.

A minny win puts them 2 games behing sacramento. And Orlando win puta them 3 games back

Your math is good. Sadly, Memphis is turning into one of those teams that loses its best players and goes on an unexplainable winning streak.

Mike

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2019, 10:31:59 AM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I am surprised so many people are not into the pick. Also washing is soon to be eliminated from the playoffs
I think the Memphis pick rolling over is better for us if we keep it and probably more valuable from a trade perspective too.  Drafting 4 1st rounders and incorporating them into the team would be tough.  Assuming all the picks were included in an AD trade, NOP would have 5 1st rounders to deal with which we would have had to pick for them. 

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2019, 11:26:34 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Slamtheking has a great thread on this in the draft section if you want to keep up to date on the pick situation. He's been tracking each pick across the course of the season.

I don't think Memphis will do enough for the pick to convey, Dallas may well pass them ilwith tanking but Washington will stay ahead. Then if course we've gone the lottery to consider, in its new form.

I'll ask again! Don't we need BOTH Washington AND the 3=games-ahead-of-Memphis New Orleans Pelicans to start losing games for the pick to convey?? Or am I doing the order wrong?
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2019, 12:02:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Slamtheking has a great thread on this in the draft section if you want to keep up to date on the pick situation. He's been tracking each pick across the course of the season.

I don't think Memphis will do enough for the pick to convey, Dallas may well pass them ilwith tanking but Washington will stay ahead. Then if course we've gone the lottery to consider, in its new form.

I'll ask again! Don't we need BOTH Washington AND the 3=games-ahead-of-Memphis New Orleans Pelicans to start losing games for the pick to convey?? Or am I doing the order wrong?
only if no one behind them wins a lottery spot.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2019, 12:16:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

TP for the praise. 

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2019, 12:17:58 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617

A fairly safe assumption no? I guess with the new weighting, maybe not so safe.

Anyway - Hawks play Pels today: Go Hawks!

Or don't: I like the convey next year or year after idea a lot too...
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2019, 12:18:28 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

I’m confused, do you want the Memphis pick to convey this year?
If so i’m curious as to why?

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2019, 12:49:40 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Big day for picks.

Minny at NYK (go minny)

Unless my math is messed up a mavs loss and a memphis win puts Memphis at the 8th best pick in the draft. Inching closer to that pick translating this year.

A minny win puts them 2 games behing sacramento. And Orlando win puta them 3 games back

Your math is good. Sadly, Memphis is turning into one of those teams that loses its best players and goes on an unexplainable winning streak.

Mike

Imo thats a good thing. I know the pick becomes less protected in the future but they are only gping to improve moving forward.

I believe that if they get to spend capspace and draft a top 10 player they are going to get better and better and the longer that pick stays protected the worse value it holds moving forward.

The pick translating at arpund 9th or 10th this year is perfect. If Sacramento pick moves to 10-12th range amd clippers stay in the playoffs we have a real shot of at least moving up high into draft....or who knows

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Big day for picks.

Minny at NYK (go minny)

Mike

Imo thats a good thing. I know the pick becomes less protected in the future but they are only gping to improve moving forward.

I believe that if they get to spend capspace and draft a top 10 player they are going to get better and better and the longer that pick stays protected the worse value it holds moving forward.

The pick translating at arpund 9th or 10th this year is perfect. If Sacramento pick moves to 10-12th range amd clippers stay in the playoffs we have a real shot of at least moving up high into draft....or who knows

I’ll take the Mem pick at 9 this year if we can get it. It might get better the next two years, but it might not. Having the pick convey this year would also let us add salary and make it easier to get AD without sending Smart.

Looking at the standings I don’t see Sacto getting to 10-12 in the lottery. Minnie, at 13th, is three games back in the loss column, and the Fakers and Magic are four back. Sacto is still trying to make the playoffs, they have a relatively easy schedule remaining, and have no incentive to fall back.  Minnie, meanwhile, has one of the toughest schedules left. Anything can happen, but I don’t see even one of those teams passing Sacto, let alone two or three. http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2019, 10:30:41 PM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 866
  • GOT IT!!!
Memphis really wants this pick to convey. Just wonder how much value it is loses this year?

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2019, 11:05:22 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740
Memphis really wants this pick to convey. Just wonder how much value it is loses this year?

possibly part of their thinking is that if the pick conveys this year they can feel better about trading conely this summer

« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 06:22:12 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Memphis keeps it up and that pick will convey this year

And only 5 games separate the 9th pick and Sacramento with , imo, 3 teams will be pushing hard for playoffs. Minny, Orlando and Charlotte

« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 07:33:24 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
What are those of you who follow college/Europe saying about the quality of player that might be there at 9?   

« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 08:01:19 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
What are those of you who follow college/Europe saying about the quality of player that might be there at 9?

There will be very good players available at 9 imo.

Little, Culver, Hachimura, Fernando, Porter, Bol-Bol, Reid, Hayes and Hunter all guys that will be in the 9-15 range.

I think that if the Sacramento or Memphis picks gets included with Tatum in a Davis trade I would hope that team can walk away with Reid or Bruno Fernando and Little as the picks (little is being projected as low as 15 on some mocks...)

I would be very happy if next season team had Davis, Little and one of Reid/Fernando on it (minus Rozier, Morris and Tatum/filler)

« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 08:13:26 AM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
Memphis pick right now has a 14.2% chance of dropping to 9th or 10th in the lottery.

If Memphis drops to 8th place then those odds jump to 39.2% 9-11th

iF Memphis finishes in 9th the odds are 79.7% it is 9-12

Memphis remaining schedule and NOPs likeliness to tank out the season makes the odds very good overall the pick will convey this season

Remaining 14 games with games against
Washington
Atlanta
Phoenix
Dallas
Dallas

as well as Orlando and Minny which are winnable but I think those 2 teams are looking to win games, not tank