Author Topic: Semi Ojeleye: Basketball Player?  (Read 5286 times)

Re: Semi Ojeleye: Basketball Player?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2021, 07:51:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He went from min to mle player

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2021, 07:55:55 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Below is his college stuff, not a big deal, but useful in the analysis...

After two years at Duke where he played 140 minutes total he transferred to SMU and started 35 games averaging 35 minutes per game for his senior year.

PPG 19.0
FG 48.7%
3PT 73 of 172 for 42.4% average 9 3PA a game
FT 78.5%
RPG 8.0
APG 1.8
STL 15 (totals)
BLK 14

This season in Boston for the equivalent minutes he's just about the same as senior year at SMU.

He doesn't do stupid things on the court. It is his job to play defense and pass the ball to the team's scorers.

He is supposed to use his energy on defense and he does, despite having offensive talents.

I think the coaching staff informed him they want him to shoot more...

His NBA career Field goal attempts per game is 2.8

This year he's averaging 5.4

Team is better for it.

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2021, 08:16:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
He went from min to mle player
He gotta prove that he can consistently hit the 3 first. Early signs are promising, but we're still way too early into the season. Fwiw, he was a good 3pt shooter during the second half of last season as well.

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2021, 08:24:28 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
If there was a poll I'd vote no. It's a nice stretch vs 3 years.
So if he’s not a basketball player what is he? A bodybuilder? Lol
That's the click bait title not the actual question asked.

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2021, 08:31:56 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 467
I'm loving semis confidence.  No hesitation.  Your wide open you shoot it.  Seems the fastpp confidence is rubbing off on him.  Keep it up semi.  Turn into our own pj tucker.

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2021, 11:39:42 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
He's been a perfectly adequate bench player. He's reached the point here he hits threes at a high enough clip that he needs to be guarded, which is almost more important than the rate he hits them since it opens up the driving lanes for Brown/Tatum. The straight line riving is nice, its added value offensively.

Defensively I think he's somewhat overated. He stays in front of guys generally, but he puts ZERO pressure on the ball. He has 0 steals and 0 blocks this year. He is strong which is useful against bigger wings.

So ya, as long as he's like your 8th-10th guy thats fine.
Wow, the 0 steals and blocks is pretty crazy.  Seems harder to have none of both than it is to have a couple of random steals or blocks.
Allen Iverson led the NBA in steals for 3 consecutive seasons. No one would suggest that he was an elite defender.

When it comes to defense, imo the #1 thing is to stay in front of your opponent. Steals and blocks are just a bonus. Semi is strong as an ox! I trust him to guard most PFs around the league. He also got the lateral quicks to play D on the perimeter. I like his defense a lot! He can guard multiple positions! Just because he ain't gambling for steals and blocks, it doesn't mean he's overrated.

Ya he's overrated defensively in my opinion. Steals an blocks arent the end all of defense, you can certainly get a lot of them and not be good. But they do show thats he's not really much of a help defender. He also isnt that versatile, he does a good job against a certain type of player (big three/fours) but is only okay at best against guards or navigating screens.

Its not that he's bad defensively, he's not, he's just sort of a situational guy to me.
We don't use him as a help defender. We switch pretty much all ball screens on defense unless the opposing player is a below average shooter, in which case we may go under the screen. Semi is strong and explosive. He can play D close to the basket. He can play D on the perimeter. He's a pretty vesrastile defender in my book.

By the traditional definition of "versatile," ie able to guard many different kinds of offensive players, he is not versatile.

Not saying he's bad, he's just overated. He's fine, wont make many mistakes and wont hurt you out there. Good against specific kinds of players.

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2021, 01:05:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
He's been a perfectly adequate bench player. He's reached the point here he hits threes at a high enough clip that he needs to be guarded, which is almost more important than the rate he hits them since it opens up the driving lanes for Brown/Tatum. The straight line riving is nice, its added value offensively.

Defensively I think he's somewhat overated. He stays in front of guys generally, but he puts ZERO pressure on the ball. He has 0 steals and 0 blocks this year. He is strong which is useful against bigger wings.

Wow, the 0 steals and blocks is pretty crazy.  Seems harder to have none of both than it is to have a couple of random steals or blocks.
Allen Iverson led the NBA in steals for 3 consecutive seasons. No one would suggest that he was an elite defender.

When it comes to defense, imo the #1 thing is to stay in front of your opponent. Steals and blocks are just a bonus. Semi is strong as an ox! I trust him to guard most PFs around the league. He also got the lateral quicks to play D on the perimeter. I like his defense a lot! He can guard multiple positions! Just because he ain't gambling for steals and blocks, it doesn't mean he's overrated.
Don't forget about Larry Hughes getting All-League/Defensive selections because of him leading the league in steals per game and averaging a lot of points on a poor squad :laugh:

Semi plays consistently sound defence that makes it difficult for him to rack up stocks, but him being there constantly to bother his man or provide some help defence makes him a pretty good defender overall who has some versatility.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2021, 01:17:54 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Ya he's overrated defensively in my opinion. Steals an blocks arent the end all of defense, you can certainly get a lot of them and not be good. But they do show thats he's not really much of a help defender. He also isnt that versatile, he does a good job against a certain type of player (big three/fours) but is only okay at best against guards or navigating screens.

Its not that he's bad defensively, he's not, he's just sort of a situational guy to me.
To be fair being good at help defence doesn't exactly mean that you'll rack up a ton of deflections. Defenders like Draymond and Garnett blew up a ton of plays before they even fully materialised and thus didn't rack up steals or blocks in those possessions (I'm aware that those two had really high steal rates in their prime while Garnett had some borderline elite block percentages, but those rates were somewhat "deflated" because of this). I'm not saying that Semi is in that class of defender (he's really just a good defensive wing), but I don't think that 10 games' worth of data regarding stocks can be used to criticise his help defence when his role and style of play doesn't put him in position to rack those up even when he's helping - he's used to neutralise big forwards who throw their body around and have enough skill to score and create while his preferred mode of help is to slide and nip an offensive action in the bud, or stymie it enough before it materialises into a wide open look.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
His recent play is very encouraging. I wish he improves and maintains his shooting percentages to a very respectable level. His confidence level too.

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2021, 09:43:47 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
He reminds me of a very poor man's Jae Crowder.  Which I actually think is great because from a team composition standpoint that's all we ever really needed with the J's.

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2021, 10:12:13 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Think we’ve always wanted this guy to succeed. Hard worker and genuinely good dude. Happy that he may have finally turned the corner. If he continues this for the season, he’s in for a nice pay day.

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2021, 11:20:03 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742

We don't use him as a help defender. We switch pretty much all ball screens on defense unless the opposing player is a below average shooter, in which case we may go under the screen. Semi is strong and explosive. He can play D close to the basket. He can play D on the perimeter. He's a pretty vesrastile defender in my book.

By the traditional definition of "versatile," ie able to guard many different kinds of offensive players, he is not versatile.

Not saying he's bad, he's just overated. He's fine, wont make many mistakes and wont hurt you out there. Good against specific kinds of players.

Despite his height, he's strong enough to hold bigger centers away from the basket and he's quick enough to stay in front of most big wings. I'm comfortable with him guarding 3 positions, and there are lots of sg's he can switch on to that wouldn't panic me. 

He reminds me of a very poor man's Jae Crowder.  Which I actually think is great because from a team composition standpoint that's all we ever really needed with the J's.
That's sort of the hope. Crowder's last year in Boston when he was knocking down 3's but could also make those pump-and-go drives. Nothing fancy, just enough offense to keep defenses honest. Although, to be honest, Semi is looking quicker than I remember Jae being.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2021, 11:54:27 AM »

Offline wikkid1

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

His Instagram says he’s an optometrist.

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2021, 01:10:54 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106

His Instagram says he’s an optometrist.
I was joking / mocking but that’s cool to know he’s optometrist

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2021, 03:43:12 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
0-6 today against the Knicks. He only attempted 3s. So... still a work in progress?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008