Author Topic: Welcome to Boston, Carsen Edwards!  (Read 18553 times)

Re: Welcome to Boston, Carsen Edwards!
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2019, 05:46:37 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Sounds like Edwards could be the backup PG next year.

Possible in-house replacement for Rozier.

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
by the way, for those of us who lament edwards smurf-esque height, he is 6 feet .25 inches. mike conley is 6'1". maybe edwards has a chance in the nba.

He also has a strong build.

That strong build and 6-0 height reminds me of Kyle Lowry.

« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2019, 06:07:30 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
by the way, for those of us who lament edwards smurf-esque height, he is 6 feet .25 inches. mike conley is 6'1". maybe edwards has a chance in the nba.

The concern with Edwards’ height is that he has a lot of work to do to be a PG in the NBA.  His game mostly profiles as not someone who will run the offense.  This means you may need to have a bigger PG on the roster to pair him with, so that Edwards can guard opposing PGs while the PG takes someone larger.  We do have such a player in Smart.  We also have a coach who’s not afraid to put 2-3 PG-sizes players on the court at the same time (remember the Larkin-Rozier-Irving-Smart lineups) so it probably matters less here than for some other teams.  If Edwards gets his assignments right, he’ll see the court.
I agree this is a big concern for Edwards, but luckily Smart and Hayward both have point gaurd skills with the size to defend bigger positions, so you could allow Edwards to play off ball without asking anyone to guard out of position.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2019, 06:20:53 PM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82

He also has a strong build.

He's not as stocky as Lowry who can knock his defender off balance with a little shoulder or chest nudge.

But Edwards is strong as hell.  And what he has over Lowry is elevation when he shoots and a lightning quick release (as well as a step back).

I have no concerns with Edwards getting his shot off against bigger defenders. He's just too quick.

That strong build and 6-0 height reminds me of Kyle Lowry.

« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2019, 06:24:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

No.  If people think that Rozier doesn’t have great PG skills, they’re going to hate Edwards. He’s not a PG — that’s why he went in the second round.  A 2-guard trapped in a smaller PG body.

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2019, 03:46:52 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175

No.  If people think that Rozier doesn’t have great PG skills, they’re going to hate Edwards. He’s not a PG — that’s why he went in the second round.  A 2-guard trapped in a smaller PG body.

Yeah, but Edwards seems more decisive with the ball and seems like a better shooter. Rozier has million dollar talent but gets into his own head too much. Edwards seems to know what he's going to do with the ball ever time he gets it, shoot. Rozier likes to dribble around in circles leading to nothing.

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2019, 05:11:29 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I think Edwards could be that scoring sparkplug/sharpshooter off the bench we've been hoping to get in recent years (kind of like how Reddick and Korver play, except with more athleticism and hopefully not a pure liability on defense). He just scores.
Eddie House?

I just read this comment after asking if Edwards was like Nate Robinson and the description of a sparkplug / sharpshooter off the bench at 6-1 made me think of Eddie House.

Is House a better comparison for Edwards? Pure shooter.
Or Nate Robinson? More ball-handling and athleticism.
Or neither? Are both off the mark?

He's got Nate Robinson handles, but is an Eddie House shooter.   

Lightning quick, can get his shot off in a mili-second, and can also finish at the rim.  Not as good of a finisher as Isaiah Thomas, but he's not just an Eddie House who can't drive.
Edwards shot 39% from the field and 35.5% from 3 last year.  I realize he was heavily guarded but that’s not House shooting.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I think this kid will see the most PT of all the rookies simply for the fact we need someone to take minutes at PG.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2019, 05:37:57 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

fingers crossed

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2019, 05:40:25 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think this kid will see the most PT of all the rookies simply for the fact we need someone to take minutes at PG.

I'm betting Grant Williams sees more PT, in predict he will start for us at some point.

« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2019, 03:33:42 AM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
This did my heart good. Sixers crying over us getting Carson Edwards....

https://section215.com/2019/06/22/philadelphia-76ers-carsen-edwards-boston/

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2019, 07:43:46 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I think Edwards could be that scoring sparkplug/sharpshooter off the bench we've been hoping to get in recent years (kind of like how Reddick and Korver play, except with more athleticism and hopefully not a pure liability on defense). He just scores.
Eddie House?

I just read this comment after asking if Edwards was like Nate Robinson and the description of a sparkplug / sharpshooter off the bench at 6-1 made me think of Eddie House.

I agree.  The Eddie House comparison fits better.
He has better handle than House thou...

« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2019, 07:53:20 AM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Eddie House?

He's got Nate Robinson handles, but is an Eddie House shooter.   

Lightning quick, can get his shot off in a mili-second, and can also finish at the rim.  Not as good of a finisher as Isaiah Thomas, but he's not just an Eddie House who can't drive.
Edwards shot 39% from the field and 35.5% from 3 last year.  I realize he was heavily guarded but that’s not House shooting.

They're closer than you think. Edwards shot 45.5% on 2s for his career (44.0% last year), while Eddie House shot 46.2% for his college career (44.9% his senior year), though House had much higher volume (13.2 2PA vs 9.0)

Threes are a similar story, with Edwards shooting 36.8% for his career (35.5% last year), and House 36.6% for his career (36.5% his senior year). Edwards shot a much higher volume, though (10.6 3PA last year vs 6.3 for House)

Their FG%s just look so far off because of how different their shot didtribution was, with House shooting ~1/3rd of his shots from 3 and Edwards shooting more than half. Hopefully Edwards reigns in the 3 point shooting a bit, although if his shot carries over he would at least be average
I'm bitter.

« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2019, 10:02:59 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Considering Steven's system, Edwards could turn into an instant star for us.  Instant offense off the bench, taking advantage of that system where we shoot a lot of perimeter threes.

He's a bit short at 6'1 but considering how much I hate the rest of our draft, I hope Edwards can redeem it.

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2019, 10:10:57 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
the text below was quoted in SoSH about Edwards. it, in part, explains why his shooting percentages were not super in his final year at Purdue. It bodes well for his future as a celtic under CBS, who will put him in far better positions to score.

here’s a wordier explanation from one of the scouting reports linked earlier:

"Way better shooter than the percentages indicate – role at Purdue was to be the volume scorer this year, leading to inefficient shot selection. When the team was more interior focused last year, he was able to hone in on his shot selection a bit more and he was hitting a higher percentage across all types of actions. When he gets hot, he can put up a points very quickly. I don’t think he’s a knockdown consistent shooter, but he’s not nearly as streaky as he looks this year – probably somewhere in between, but closer to him being a consistent shooter. Compact release, good balance, good elevation on the shot, good release point, and quick. Does not need much time to set and release. Has DEEP range both off of C&S and off the bounce – shot 82/238 from NBA three (through 3/4/19). Uses the threat of his jumper pretty well setting up closer looks, either at the rim or slightly closer off the bounce jumpers. Can hit an open drop-off pass, too. Sudden ability to pull up off the bounce takes defenses by surprise."

The mere fact that he took 238 NBA threes(!) in college is wild and, plus the off the dribble volume from DrewDog’s post shows the leash he was given at Purdue after they lost Swanigan then Haas. I'm not really bullish on his ability to run an offense full time, but as a microwave bench scorer, or more of a pure 2 guard next to Smart, he'll be fun. I don't think he's a terrible liability on D, either, with his strength and length making him play a bit bigger than his height indicates.

He was definitely a binkie of Sixers twitter (they really want a shooting/bench scoring/ball handler), so there was some nice schadenfreude there as a bonus for those of us who are just petty like that.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva