Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417457 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #630 on: September 17, 2015, 05:43:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

In the books Momma Stark makes kind of a creepy return too.  Wonder if that'll happen this year.

I`m pretty sure i`ve read/heard the producers say that they won`t follow Katlyn`s story
The point at which she came back in the books and how she effected the story has passed. They could reintroduce her later in the story but I think they just ignore "lady stoneheart"

There's speculation that Sansa is going to take on a lot of Lady Stoneheart's plot (minus the death and resurrection bit).  That would make some sense story-wise, and would help explain the reason for some of the controversial changes to her plot (like having her raped and abused by Ramsay).  I'd be cool with seeing her cleaning house on some Freys and Boltons, since she really hasn't done much but have a series of awful things happen to her so far.

I think I'll be disappointed if they decide the way to redeem / grow Sansa's character is to have her turn into a vindictive bad-ass. 

We've seen that she's not a conniving court mistress like Cersei or Margaery.  She's not cunning.  But she's also not bloodthirsty.  I want her character to have agency, but I don't think the only way to make a female character strong is to have her become a killer.

It would also be entirely redundant at this point in the story.

Re: J. Snow's "death:" I think a lot of people get mixed up when they fixate on Martin's apparent need to kill off 'important characters', when in actuality they're relatively minor characters in the grand scheme of the story --they were just portrayed as important through the way he played with the tropes of the genre when ASOFAI was getting underway. Vast difference.
Yep.  There are 5 main characters.  Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Sansa, and Arya.  Entirely possible that some others not thought as main, may ultimately end up that way (Bran, Jamie, and Cersei are the 3 that spring to mind), but after reading the books and watching the show, this is really a story about those 5 people (and that doesn't mean all 5 live to see the end, but all 5 will be there to close to the end).

Nail, meet the head of the hammer.

Still haven't watched Season 5 yet.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #631 on: September 18, 2015, 01:00:39 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I find it interesting that the only main character besides sub-characters that bridges between a few main characters is Tyrion. He has been involved directly and indirectly with most the plot characters and has traveled more of the world. Tyrion has to be considered the main character even though Jon, Brienne, Bran, Davos, Arya and Dany seem to be the heroes of the book and show. Tyrion has ruled better than Dany and been in worse situations than Jon. He has murdered in anger like Arya. He has loyalty like Davos and Brienne. He is an underdog like Bran. Tyrion is the main character.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 02:02:48 AM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #632 on: September 18, 2015, 09:20:44 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Wrong way to look at it. IMO. Tyrion is pretty clearly the closest thing to a narrative compass the story has, but I don't think he's the main character in the traditional sense of the story. The world would turn without him, and he's fairly ancillary to the central conflict.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #633 on: September 18, 2015, 09:31:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Wrong way to look at it. IMO. Tyrion is pretty clearly the closest thing to a narrative compass the story has, but I don't think he's the main character in the traditional sense of the story. The world would turn without him, and he's fairly ancillary to the central conflict.
Unless he is a dragon rider.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #634 on: September 18, 2015, 09:32:29 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I know when reading the books, I was pretty much biding my time between "non-Tyrion" chapters until I came one.  He's a great character.  I think he and Arya are my favorites. (though I like Arya better in the books, than the show)
Yup

« Reply #635 on: September 18, 2015, 10:06:41 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
i think he is

I think his real father was a Targaryen just like Jon
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #636 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

Sure, but I'm going with the information already accounted for rather than rampant speculation/fan-service. Not that I don't enjoy Tyrion (who doesn't enjoy Tyrion), I'm just looking at it from a craft point of view.

« Reply #637 on: September 18, 2015, 10:30:54 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Tyrion has ruled better than Dany and been in worse situations than Jon

Do you really think any thing he has been in has been as bad as Jon getting caesared?  I think that tops it.  Slavery one can endure, but he has not had half a dozen men stab him.

I have always thought he brings insight to situations in the book and other characters as he is very human and observant.   

But there is no main character, I think, and especially, Tyrion.   I think is going to be an ensemble of heroes like an ensemble movie.  He may be the guy who gets them all to talk to unite their cause to beat the others as he know Jon and he knows Dany.( soon will in the books)

« Reply #638 on: September 18, 2015, 10:49:01 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Is the Game of Thrones thread in place just to make 110% sure everyone knows Celtics fans are complete nerds?

« Reply #639 on: September 18, 2015, 11:12:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Is the Game of Thrones thread in place just to make 110% sure everyone knows Celtics fans are complete nerds?
The GoT thread (together with the other, I don't know, quarter of the forum that is not sports-related) is just to make sure we repel the meatheads whose idea of entertainment is limited to sports-talk-radio-style "discussion".

I've always been surprised at the amount of intelligent contribution on topics outside of sports we've been able to get here over the last 10+ years. Shoutouts to the usual suspects apply.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #640 on: September 18, 2015, 11:20:43 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Liking one of the most popular shows on premium cable = complete nerd?  Is it 1988 already?

« Reply #641 on: September 18, 2015, 11:22:15 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Liking one of the most popular shows on premium cable = complete nerd?  Is it 1988 already?
He doesn't like that the forum has non-Celtics content, so he's resorted to occasionally trolling those threads as they pop up in the LFT. Though as far as trolling goes, it's pretty weak sauce.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #642 on: September 18, 2015, 11:31:19 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
He doesn't like that the forum has non-Celtics content, so he's resorted to occasionally trolling those threads as they pop up in the LFT. Though as far as trolling goes, it's pretty weak sauce.

Gotcha.  It's kinda rough when your login is a better troll than your posts.

« Reply #643 on: September 18, 2015, 11:37:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
 ;D

« Reply #644 on: September 18, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Tyrion has ruled better than Dany and been in worse situations than Jon

Do you really think any thing he has been in has been as bad as Jon getting caesared?  I think that tops it.  Slavery one can endure, but he has not had half a dozen men stab him.

I have always thought he brings insight to situations in the book and other characters as he is very human and observant.   

But there is no main character, I think, and especially, Tyrion.   I think is going to be an ensemble of heroes like an ensemble movie.  He may be the guy who gets them all to talk to unite their cause to beat the others as he know Jon and he knows Dany.( soon will in the books)

I don't know...being wrongly accused and tried for murder of your nephew by your own father , who then uses the love of your life as his personal prostitute, while almost everyone turns their back on you and leaves you for dead waiting for execution, that's got to be at least pretty darn close to what Jon Snow endured.