Author Topic: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts  (Read 12721 times)

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
There’s some buzz out there. And I can’t figure out what the buzz means,” ESPN’s Zach Lowe said on the latest Lowe Post podcast. “The buzz that I’m hearing is like the smoke, the smoke indicating that something is happening. I’m not sure what’s up, but I don’t think it’s a lock that Gordon Hayward is on the Celtics next year.”

Lowe’s guest, ESPN’s front office insider and former Brooklyn Nets assistant GM Bobby Marks, says Hayward is very likely exploring the open market to get a sense for what his options might be.

“I think what his agent Mark Bartelstein is doing right now is canvassing the league. He’s doing the Al Horford plan,” Marks said, referencing the surprise Horford move to Philadelphia on a four-year, $109 million contract.

Lowe is careful to say “We don’t know that there’s a Gordon Hayward chase. We don’t know that any of this is happening. I’m just saying that there’s a little bit of buzz.” He also added, “something is mildly afoot here.”

I still think this is a pretty slight possibility.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: “Buzz”: Hayward considering “Al Horford” plan, could leave Celts
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 07:24:28 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
He's the biggest non-Anthony Davis free agent. This is not surprising. Teams like the Kings and Hawks have cap space and both teams could use his playmaking.

It also could signify that Ainge is playing hardball with a new contract. Like, "Go find out what you are worth around the league and then we can talk about that dollar amount."

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 07:25:48 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
Is this anything surprising? Of course Hayward's agent is going to look at what other teams would offer him if he were to opt out, if only for due diligence and leverage in a possible extension.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 07:36:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
If he can get $20 million annual or better someplace else, more power to him.

I just hope if he does the Celts can get some assets via a sign and trade or something.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 07:43:07 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Bye!!

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:43:25 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 722
If this happened with an opt-out by Hayward, what options would Boston then have. Would it free up some money to upgrade our post positions ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 07:48:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
If this happened with an opt-out by Hayward, what options would Boston then have. Would it free up some money to upgrade our post positions ?

It could conceivably mean that we could use the Full MLE, rather than just the Taxpayer MLE.  I think there’s roughly a $4 million per year difference.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 07:52:42 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

The team won't have cap space no matter what.

As Roy mentioned it could help with the MLE, which is a significant difference.

Although I wonder if the cap drops by more than expected if that would keep the Celts in the tax even if Hayward leaves.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 08:06:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I call this BS. Horford left a dysfunctional team for a championship contender. What championship contending team has the cap space to offer Hayward a deal that we wouldn’t be willing to match?

No one.

Carry on (as Perk likes to say).

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 08:18:30 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Although I wonder if the cap drops by more than expected if that would keep the Celts in the tax even if Hayward leaves.

Either way, Hayward + TMLE is undoubtedly better than whoever we get for the Full MLE.

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 08:27:56 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

Either way, Hayward + TMLE is undoubtedly better than whoever we get for the Full MLE.

Yeah, nothing good comes out of Hayward walking with no assets coming back to the Celtics no matter how you look at it.

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 08:34:51 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I wouldn't freak out if this happened. Ideally, we could work out a deal with another team who doesn't have quite enough money under the cap to sign Hayward to $25M+/yr (I doubt Hayward would go to ATL). It would also be great if that player made less than $10M/yr so we could use the whole MLE and also stay under the tax. It might even allow us to use the BAE, too.

Hayward is a very good player - and I'd be just as delighted if we re-signed him to a 4 yr/$80M contract - but we did make it to the ECF last year without him.

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 08:37:07 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
The Horford situation from last off-season should have taught us that anything is possible (no pun intended), but I still think it’s unlikely that Hayward doesn’t work something out with the Celtics, assuming there’s no hidden bad feelings between Hayward and the team that we don’t know about.

Even though we all thought Horford was interested in staying, in Hayward’s case you’re talking about a player who signed on to play with his college coach, and has written about what that meant to him in terms of making the decision.

Horford’s case actually should be a warning to Hayward. Don’t take your current situation for granted. You might sign on for more money somewhere else and end up in a much worse situation basketball wise.

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 08:41:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I'm not making any deal for Hayward if I have a chance at max cap space for the potential Giannis sweepstakes.

For some teams makes more sense to trade for Hayward on his one year than sign him beyond this year.

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 08:50:38 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
I wouldn't freak out if this happened. Ideally, we could work out a deal with another team who doesn't have quite enough money under the cap to sign Hayward to $25M+/yr (I doubt Hayward would go to ATL). It would also be great if that player made less than $10M/yr so we could use the whole MLE and also stay under the tax. It might even allow us to use the BAE, too.

Hayward is a very good player - and I'd be just as delighted if we re-signed him to a 4 yr/$80M contract - but we did make it to the ECF last year without him.

I also want Hayward to be resigned on the Celtics. That 4 yr/$80M guaranteed contract on declining salary is what I'd gun for. If Hayward has a deal somewhere for 100/4, the Celtics have to think long about matching that. That $5M extra per year could turn out be $20M in taxes per year extra.