Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 601090 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1755 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:06 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
FWIW, Lester Munson (who is great, even as an ESPN employee) wrote a Q&A about the possibility of a lawsuit. :

Q: The Patriots' rebuttal Thursday was aggressive and detailed. What was the purpose of this attack on Goodell and the investigation?

A: It is possible the Patriots' rebuttal will become the foundation for a lawsuit against Goodell and the league. But it is more likely that the purpose of the rebuttal was a form of damage control. It offers material for the Patriots' true-believer fans to use as they continue to support their beloved team.

It might diminish the effect of the investigation's assault upon the team's reputation in its market. But it's highly unlikely owner Bob Kraft will file any litigation against the NFL. If he filed a lawsuit, he would join the late Al Davis and Donald Sterling as the only sports team owners to sue their fellow owners. Kraft does not want to be in any group that includes Davis and Sterling.

Q: What advantages, if any, does Brady enjoy in this appeal?

A: In reality, just the notion that it cannot get any worse for him.

Whether the arbitrator is Goodell, Henderson or an independent person, the arbitrator cannot increase the suspension. If the arbitrator looks at all the evidence and concludes that Brady was guilty of a form of cheating that affected the integrity of the competition in the most successful sports enterprise in America, the arbitrator could not suspend Brady for more than four games. If the arbitrator had the power to actually increase a penalty, well, Brady and the NFLPA might not have filed an appeal.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12888612/tom-brady-nflpa-cannot-win-appeal-filed-deflategate

He also thinks there's no way the NFLPA has a chance in court. I'm not sure I agree with him, but he's way smarter than I am, so.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1756 on: July 29, 2015, 11:01:27 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Brady finally comes out with a statement (you know, for the people in this thread that kinda actually care and have been following this from the start  ::) )

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/29/tom-brady-im-very-disappointed-i-did-nothing-wrong/

He seems to be claiming his old phone was broken, although everything prior to that statement pointed to something completely different. Also, he tells us all about why he never intended to give his phone or the texts to the league, yet he talks about asking the phone company if they could retrieve the texts. Not really credible, unless the plan was to have his assistant destroy some of their servers if they claimed they had the texts.

I think the "Destroyed His Phone" Narrative was a red herring

I think replaced his phone is more accurate. 

Also Brady and the patriots did provide all cell phones for every non NFLPA employee of the patriots, so they saw every text that brady sent to Belichick, and the two equipment guys.

Finally Brady presented new information during his appeal which was the records of every text he sent on that phone and offered to assist the NFL in gathering any text they wanted.

Replaced isn't more accurate. He doesn't have the old phone to give them, because it (and the sim card) were (apparently) deliberately destroyed. If Brady had the phone destroyed and had confirmed with the carrier that they couldn't retrieve the texts, how was he going to assist the NFL in gathering those texts? A seance?

How do you know the phone was destroyed rather than replaced?

He provided all phone records.  If the other person did not delete them you can still see them.  Also as previously noted all relevant communications between Brady and other Patriots personnel were already provided.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #1757 on: July 29, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
FWIW, Lester Munson (who is great, even as an ESPN employee) wrote a Q&A about the possibility of a lawsuit. :

Q: The Patriots' rebuttal Thursday was aggressive and detailed. What was the purpose of this attack on Goodell and the investigation?

A: It is possible the Patriots' rebuttal will become the foundation for a lawsuit against Goodell and the league. But it is more likely that the purpose of the rebuttal was a form of damage control. It offers material for the Patriots' true-believer fans to use as they continue to support their beloved team.

It might diminish the effect of the investigation's assault upon the team's reputation in its market. But it's highly unlikely owner Bob Kraft will file any litigation against the NFL. If he filed a lawsuit, he would join the late Al Davis and Donald Sterling as the only sports team owners to sue their fellow owners. Kraft does not want to be in any group that includes Davis and Sterling.

Whether the arbitrator is Goodell, Henderson or an independent person, the arbitrator cannot increase the suspension. If the arbitrator looks at all the evidence and concludes that Brady was guilty of a form of cheating that affected the integrity of the competition in the most successful sports enterprise in America, the arbitrator could not suspend Brady for more than four games. If the arbitrator had the power to actually increase a penalty, well, Brady and the NFLPA might not have filed an appeal.
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12888612/tom-brady-nflpa-cannot-win-appeal-filed-deflategate

He also thinks there's no way the NFLPA has a chance in court. I'm not sure I agree with him, but he's way smarter than I am, so.

I'm a biased Pats fan, and I'm not well versed in the applicable area of law, but it's just difficult for me to believe that an independent arbitrator would look at all of the facts, and how this has been handled by both sides from the start, and determine that 4 games was a reasonable suspension.  Maybe the standard is higher than that -- maybe the decision needs to have been without merit, or arbitrary and capricious, or something like that.

I still think 4 games would get knocked down on that basis.  We'll see, I guess.

The bottom line here for me is that Brady is being punished for the past conduct of his organization, and the stated basis for that punishment is his general awareness of rule breaking by other people in the organization.  None of that is a valid basis for punishing Brady personally.

If the court sees it the same way, I can't imagine the punishment standing.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1758 on: July 29, 2015, 11:08:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I feel like the NFL deliberately has been leaking false information to the press at every step in the process. Then later on it is refuted, but at that point ESPN has already talked about the false information for days and it is stuck in people's minds. That 11 of 12 balls were initially reported deflated and the original psi number being false it seems that ESPN is just a mouthpiece for whatever agenda the NFL is pushing.

It does seem like all the information we are getting in the news is from the NFL. Don Yee's statement yesterday made it seem that the NFL clearly did not give Brady a fair appeal.

That Brady's camp offered to give the numbers of all the people Brady has texted with in the past and the NFL simply said no seems kind of ridiculous. The NFL asked for Brady's texts and Brady offered a way in which to provide them, but the NFL said, no thanks we would rather just paint you as uncooperative and keep the suspension.

It just seems that with some of the recent Goodell suspensions getting overturned by independent arbiters, Goodell refused to take the chance that there would be a fair appeals process. Brady very well could/might have done something wrong but the manner in which this process took place indicates that the NFL knows they can't completely prove it so they are distorting the facts in the court of public opinion.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #1759 on: July 29, 2015, 11:11:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
I feel like the NFL deliberately has been leaking false information to the press at every step in the process. Then later on it is refuted, but at that point ESPN has already talked about the false information for days and it is stuck in people's minds. That 11 of 12 balls were initially reported deflated and the original psi number being false it seems that ESPN is just a mouthpiece for whatever agenda the NFL is pushing.

Whatever you think of Keith Olbermann and Bill Simmons, they were both let go from the worldwide leader (at least in part) because of their adversarial comments towards the NFL's front office.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1760 on: July 29, 2015, 11:14:10 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Replaced isn't more accurate. He doesn't have the old phone to give them, because it (and the sim card) were (apparently) deliberately destroyed. If Brady had the phone destroyed and had confirmed with the carrier that they couldn't retrieve the texts, how was he going to assist the NFL in gathering those texts? A seance?
You realize that when you send a text, it goes to another device right?

It just so happens that Brady provided the league with a complete list of the people he texted (in addition to the phone company printouts). However, the NFL deemed it "impractical" to follow up with those people. Yes, the same league that apparently thought it very practical to spend a ton of time an money on an external investigation of an equipment violation.

Cue in the applause.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1761 on: July 29, 2015, 11:19:42 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Whatever you think of Keith Olbermann and Bill Simmons, they were both let go from the worldwide leader (at least in part) because of their adversarial comments towards the NFL's front office.

Yup.  ESPN may not be a shill for the NFL, exactly, but they are not interested in presenting openly critical opinions of the leagues that form the basis of their business. 

I think it's fair to say that ESPN is at least a partner with the various major sports leagues.  Not accurate to call it a "news" or "journalism" organization.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1762 on: July 29, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

Yup.  ESPN may not be a shill for the NFL, exactly, but they are not interested in presenting openly critical opinions of the leagues that form the basis of their business. 

I think it's fair to say that ESPN is at least a partner with the various major sports leagues.  Not accurate to call it a "news" or "journalism" organization.

ESPN is also already (internally) peeved that its Monday Night slate (which it pays a ridiculous amount of money for) is constantly inferior to the Sunday Night package that NBC is receiving.

The notion is that any super harsh criticism towards the league (the Commissioner's office, in particular) isn't going to help them in the future with Monday Night scheduling has certainly contributed to ESPN's "soft" tone towards the NFL here and, as DOS mentioned, seems like it contribute, in part, to the ouster of Simmons & Olbermann.  Although, trimming their talent budget was a factor too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1763 on: July 29, 2015, 11:26:38 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
From Brady's statement this morning:

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.
Clearly this whole thing is just an elaborate scheme devised by Brady and his secret corporate sponsor, Apple, to promote the iPhone 6.
I personally think switching from Android to Apple is an unforgivable offense that merits even more than a 4 game ban.  ;D
one of my friends posted the same thing on facebook today. Is the iphone really inferior to the android style? I have a flip phone so i don't know the difference besides some restrictions with apple
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #1764 on: July 29, 2015, 11:29:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
From Brady's statement this morning:

I also disagree with yesterdays narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.
Clearly this whole thing is just an elaborate scheme devised by Brady and his secret corporate sponsor, Apple, to promote the iPhone 6.
I personally think switching from Android to Apple is an unforgivable offense that merits even more than a 4 game ban.  ;D
one of my friends posted the same thing on facebook today. Is the iphone really inferior to the android style? I have a flip phone so i don't know the difference besides some restrictions with apple
Nah, it's more of a knee-jerk thing ;)

Personally, I have never liked where Apple products sit on the tradeoff line between hands-on control and user friendliness.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1765 on: July 29, 2015, 11:30:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Although, trimming their talent budget was a factor too.

That's true, but I mean there's a reason they offered Colin Cowherd (who says the most "your family has to apologize for him uncle" style of mindbogglingly stupid things on a regular basis) a bigger deal and straight up cut Simmons + KO.

« Reply #1766 on: July 29, 2015, 11:36:35 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

It does seem like all the information we are getting in the news is from the NFL. Don Yee's statement yesterday made it seem that the NFL clearly did not give Brady a fair appeal.

That Brady's camp offered to give the numbers of all the people Brady has texted with in the past and the NFL simply said no seems kind of ridiculous. The NFL asked for Brady's texts and Brady offered a way in which to provide them, but the NFL said, no thanks we would rather just paint you as uncooperative and keep the suspension.

It just seems that with some of the recent Goodell suspensions getting overturned by independent arbiters, Goodell refused to take the chance that there would be a fair appeals process. Brady very well could/might have done something wrong but the manner in which this process took place indicates that the NFL knows they can't completely prove it so they are distorting the facts in the court of public opinion.
Exactly. And you don't give a leaky organization your phone

« Reply #1767 on: July 29, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Well, the NFL claimed they didn't want the phone, just a curated list of texts about ball preparation. Which Brady refused to provide. So this is still confusing, given that Brady hasn't disputed this claim.

« Reply #1768 on: July 29, 2015, 12:06:33 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

You lost me at "Lester Munson, (who is great"...

« Reply #1769 on: July 29, 2015, 12:09:33 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Well, the NFL claimed they didn't want the phone, just a curated list of texts about ball preparation. Which Brady refused to provide. So this is still confusing, given that Brady hasn't disputed this claim.
Well there you have it....there's your smoking gun....I mean they didn't even want the texts. They just wanted a list OF texts. Because lists are very helpful in these kinds of investigations.

So thaaaattt's why they release something yesterday with the heading "Brady destroyed phone"

The NFL has found as easy target. Or at least they thought so.