Author Topic: UPDATE: Smart undergoes surgery, out indefinitely  (Read 23672 times)

Re: UPDATE: Smart undergoes surgery, out indefinitely
« Reply #180 on: March 18, 2018, 05:49:00 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
Wonder if Smart played his last game in a Celtics uniform last Sunday.

Gonna miss his hustles regardless, but his shooting won't be missed.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #181 on: March 18, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Bullpett thinks Danny will re-sign him, especially since the market will be soft.
I'd agree with that.  I wouldn't be surprised if Smart takes his qualifying offer and tries again in 2019 free agency as a UFA when teams may have a bit more cap space.

Well I would. So much can happen in a year and taking the QO practically means your removing a year of your earning potential.

I think Smart and the Celts figure out a number that works for both parties and get the deal done.
I said I wouldn't be surprised not that I think it is likely.  Smart's QO is 6.05M.  He's not going to get much more than that this offseason.  The biggest risk with taking the QO is injury. 

One question is how much Ainge values Smart versus Rozier and Brown.  With Hayward coming back, there will be 30+ minutes less to go around.  Smart doesn't have Brown's upside and Rozier has another year on his rookie contract and is likely to be easier to be re-signed.  Another question is Smart's ego.  He's not going to start for us, his minutes are likely to get cut significantly and he's probably not going to get the offer he wants from Ainge (or probably any other team).

I think Smart's minutes will be safe if we resign him, especially due to his defensive versatility.  There might be a 2-3 MPG drop when we are at full strength but injuries/rest will allow him to make up a portion of that during the course of an 82 game season.  He has also stated multiple times that starting isn't important to him.  Trading Morris and letting Baynes walk is a probable scenario if Smart is resigned.  We could also keep Baynes and not offer the MLE to Monroe.  However, I have a feeling that the Celtics like the idea of integrating Monroe with a healthy squad. 

As much as I love Terry I wouldn't rule out him being traded if he continues to perform at a high level into the playoffs.  I don't believe Danny wants to trade him but he might receive a great offer prior to the draft that makes makes sense given some of the cap restrictions of the team.  It would be difficult for Danny to say no to a late lottery/mid 1st round pick.  Those rookie deals are important.     

Below is my take on next years optimal rotation with Smart and Terry back on the team.  I didn't factor in anticipated injuries or blowout wins.  My minutes distribution is entirely based upon an optimal regular season lineup against tough competition.  Brad will want most of the starters to play roughly 30 MPG.  The return of Hayward should tighten up the overall rotation.  I skipped listing specific positions since Brad is always preaching position-less basketball.

Starters
Kyrie - 30 MPG
Jaylen - 30 MPG
Hayward - 30 MPG
Tatum - 30 MPG
Horford - 30 MPG

Bench
Smart - 26 MPG
Rozier - 26 MPG
Theis/Monroe - 33 MPG
Semi/Yabusele/Draft Picks/Vet Free Agents - 5 MPG

This rotation works because of the versatility of Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Horford, and Smart.

« Reply #182 on: March 18, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

He is a goner unfortunately

Reading Pacers will go hard after Randle or Gordon and Smart in the offseason

I think Danny offered Smart in the neighborhood of 8-10 million per season and Smart and his agent balked

Pacers can doll out 15 million a season to smart.  If I'm Smart I'm leaving

« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2018, 12:06:13 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 740

I think Danny offered Smart in the neighborhood of 8-10 million per season and Smart and his agent balked

we offered more

« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2018, 12:09:21 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Im glad you can predict the future with 100% certainty unlike the rest of us.  Your Jordan Mickey theories were more convincing though.

« Reply #185 on: March 18, 2018, 12:22:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I guess it's possible after they don't pick up Big Al's option, but Indy already has a lot of decent guards under contract for next season. Oladipo ($21M), Bogdanovic ($10.5M), Collison ($10M), Joseph ($8M), Stephenson ($4.4M). That's about $54M invested in guards already. They appear to be able to add Smart's salary, but seem to have more pressing needs. Turner, Sabonis, and Thad Young are their only playable front court players under contract next season.

Smart may be priced out of staying in Boston - I think most of us hope that doesn't happen - but it is going to take a somewhat irrational GM to make that happen.

« Reply #186 on: March 18, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Indy will have to PAY Myles Turner right around the corner.  Therefore, things are not quite as beautiful as some are painting in Indy.

Smitty77

« Reply #187 on: March 18, 2018, 12:54:10 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I don't think any team is going to be foolish enough to offer Smart $15m per. That's a huge overpay.

But if someone does, then yes, Smart will not be back with the Celtics. Ainge will never pay a defensive role player that kind of money.

« Reply #188 on: March 18, 2018, 01:00:39 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

I don't think any team is going to be foolish enough to offer Smart $15m per. That's a huge overpay.

But if someone does, then yes, Smart will not be back with the Celtics. Ainge will never pay a defensive role player that kind of money.

Kelly Olynyk makes 15M per and Smart is a far better player.

« Reply #189 on: March 18, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

Smart is clearly better on defense, but Olynyk is clearly better on offense.

Teams generally value offense more than defense, and big men are always paid more than guards, especially when that big man can shoot the three ball at a good rate.

« Reply #190 on: March 18, 2018, 01:14:05 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

Actually Olynyk is making 10.6M this year and that goes up to 12.2M (player option) in 3 more years.  The Heat overpaid for him but 3 point shooting bigs are more valued than defensive oriented guards that can't shoot. 

« Reply #191 on: March 18, 2018, 03:07:59 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Teams generally value offense more than defense, and big men are always paid more than guards, especially when that big man can shoot the three ball at a good rate.

The Celtics value players who make their team better. 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BOS/2018/lineups/

He is on most of the highest-rated lineups on the team.  They are not going to let him walk away if the price on him is $12-15M.

« Reply #192 on: March 18, 2018, 03:22:55 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey

He is on most of the highest-rated lineups on the team.  They are not going to let him walk away if the price on him is $12-15M.

Of course the team values players that make them better.  But I seriously doubt anyone values Smart as a $15m per year player, including Ainge.

I guess we'll see who is right and who is wrong in about 4-5 months.

« Reply #193 on: March 18, 2018, 03:29:38 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Of course the team values players that make them better.  But I seriously doubt anyone values Smart as a $15m per year player, including Ainge.

I guess we'll see who is right and who is wrong in about 4-5 months.
I agree. Smart does not have a value of $12-15 million a year. But in the off chance some idiot of a GM decides to offer Smart 4 years at $50-60 million, there is no way Ainge matches it. He has too many people to pay in the next few years to take a big jump into the luxury tax on overpaying for Smart.

« Reply #194 on: March 18, 2018, 04:15:09 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 619

Actually Olynyk is making 10.6M this year and that goes up to 12.2M (player option) in 3 more years.  The Heat overpaid for him but 3 point shooting bigs are more valued than defensive oriented guards that can't shoot.

If that is all you think Smart is than you (a) do not watch enough Celtics games and (b) are going to be very surprised how much he gets paid.

If you think Smart is more than that you (a) don't watch the games objectively and (b) going to be very disappointed with what he's getting paid in years 2 and 3 compared to production.

If Smart gets more than an AB type contract it won't be here and thank goodness for that. You don't over pay for bench guards who can't space the floor or finish at the rim.
ok fine