Author Topic: What were your top "in theater" movie "experiences"?  (Read 12515 times)

Re: What were your top "in theater" movie "experiences"?
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 12:18:46 PM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
1)  Gladiator (took latin for 4 years, dreamed of Italy but never visited up to that point, and hadn't watched a movie in 6+ straight months b/c I was on a ship at sea... ergo I was really sensitive to the visual & audio of any movie)

2)  Mad Max

3)  The Matrix

4)  The first Lord of the Rings

Honorable Mention:  I saw Les Miserables the play on Broadway this year and was blown away.  Technically that's a "theater" experience.  The coordination of props, timing of lighting, and so many other nuances impressed me to no end. 

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 12:26:21 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
You mean besides doing the Rocky Horror Picture Show thing in the early-mid 80s? These aren't my favorite films but I had unique experiences in each that made them all quite memorable.

#1 - Aliens: Midnight showing + first really good surround sound theatre + first time in a stadium seating theatre = truly memorable experience.

#2 - LotR RotK - Opening night. The costumes many people were wearing were incredible. So was the movie.

#3 - Avatar - IMAX premier with James Cameron. It's interesting walking down the red carpet and on IMAX the visuals were great. But the audience - full of celebs - talked too much.

Honorable Mention:

Saving Private Ryan - New THX sound system in the theatre on one of the older really big screens. on opening night. I have never seen an audience so captivated as the first 20 minutes of that film. People forgot about their popcorn and the only movement was involuntary flinching when the sound of a very close round echoed through the speakers. I remember that some people were crying as the scene ended - almost a PTSD type reaction.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2016, 12:40:07 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Some not mentioned so far that I liked was Star Trek WOK, GhostBusters, Blade and "The Raid 2" were pretty awesome. Spawn though the movie wasn't great the fans were nuts.

« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2016, 12:46:50 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I want to say it was Inception in IMAX, but this may be just that I like the movie a lot.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2016, 12:51:32 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Probably Batman with Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.  That was the first movie I was old enough to remember the long lines and the merchandise and how heavily it was marketed.  It was such an effort just to get into the theater (long lines, finding a seat)  that once you were it felt like an accomplishment.  I was too young to recall all that for the Star Wars movies. 

Back to the Future 2, even though it wasn't great, there was this "finally" feeling.  They say "To Be Continued" at the end of the first one and I'd been waiting four years (which is a long time for a kid).  I was pretty excited for that one.

« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2016, 03:08:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
in terms of leaving the theater having felt an 'experience' -- Avatar.

The LOTR series was terrific as well but not quite at the 'experience' level.

in terms of just having a great time because the rest of the audience enjoyed the movie: Deadpool, 40-year-old Virgin and Nutty Professor (Eddie Murphy version). 

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2016, 03:42:25 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Rumble in the Bronx was a lot of fun in the theatre. Jackie Chan was just so darn likeable and the out takes at the end were awesome. Dude just loved what he was doin'.

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 05:38:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
The original Austin Powers.

It was in an old theater where they had replace the seats with tables.   Pitchers and pizza. 

« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2016, 05:45:53 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Original opening of Aliens .....I think late 70's

I grabbed the girls sitting in front of us during the most intense moments . They jump clean out of their seats .... :D
We laughed for days .

Good they were young or they d had heart failure.

Seriously .....I guess "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo".  Best ever
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 06:00:48 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2016, 05:50:51 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Gravity, 3D Imax

Mad Max: Fury Road, 3D Imax

I've seen many films in the theater over the years, but those two really stand out.

Really great stuff. Gravity was dizzying on the big screen. Never before has outer space seemed so close. Mad Max was a fantastic, intense, visceral movie, and the extra size and visuals fit the style of the film perfectly.

As good as they were on their own merits, both films were elevated even further by the imax/3D theater setting.

Interstellar was another good one.

« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2016, 03:46:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think I am now putting Rogue One in my top spot

« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2016, 05:39:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I'll never forget the Return of The King in theaters. Some sort of crazy emotion came over me like none other.

I am Legend in the Jordans Furniture IMAX was pretty epic.

Titanic when I was a youngster just because of how crazy big it was at the time.

« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2016, 05:51:04 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Rocky Horror Picture show in Harvard Square with people acting the parts in the movie onstage while the movie played. Just an awesome time.