Author Topic: I wish they could fine them all tonight, except for Sully, Darko and Collins  (Read 3981 times)

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
What a disgrace. Sully the only bright spot and as usual, Darko and Collins didn't play.  I wish this was the old days before player associations and zillion dollar contracts.

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We are an old team, some of this is to be expected in a brutal swing of games.

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Lol. Crappy effort tonight.

That being said, I am not counting this team out.

They can easily figure out the defense and they have shown me flashed that they can be a really good team.

3 storylines worth following as I watch this team develop:

1. Can Sully continue to improve and turn into a 10 and 8 player as a rookie?
2. Can these new players figure out the Celtics "way" on defense and return this team to the top 5 in defensive fg % where it has lived in the past 6 seasons?
3. Can we shore up the defensive rebounding issue?

For number 2, I expect the return of Avery Bradley to have a HUGE effect, just like it did last year when he was placed in the starting lineup.

For 1 and 3, I am not so sure....but again, I will never count this team, this coach, and this core group of competitive players out.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

But I thought they got much younger and added tremendous depth this year?

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

While you are right that this was a brutal stretch, this team is not old anymore...and I dont think that fact is a positive.

They have 3 "old" contributors, Pierce, KG, and Terry. The rest of the team is young.

Veterans know how to slow a game down and stay competitive. Young teams play awful when they are tired.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
What a disgrace. Sully the only bright spot and as usual, Darko and Collins didn't play.  I wish this was the old days before player associations and zillion dollar contracts.

4th game in 5 nights, 7 games in 10 nights. Games like this happen in the nba, and not just to the Celts.

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

Exactly...there will be growing pains with this overhauled roster. I do share your frustrations though...I have set the bar pretty low for this group for the first half of the season. If they look this shakey in the 2nd half I will be shocked.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

4th game in 5 nights, 7 games in 10 nights. Games like this happen in the nba, and not just to the Celts.

I don't think 20-point losses to the worst team the league should ever happen. Toronto won this afternoon after playing yesterday afternoon.

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
and we don't need to trade for younger SUPER STARS ?

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

I don't think 20-point losses to the worst team the league should ever happen. Toronto won this afternoon after playing yesterday afternoon.

Whether you think it should ever happen or not you've obviously been watching games long enough to know that they do. And Toronto had 3 games off before Saturday, they weren't 1 game removed from a back to back.

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson

Whether you think it should ever happen or not you've obviously been watching games long enough to know that they do. And Toronto had 3 games off before Saturday, they weren't 1 game removed from a back to back.

So since the Pistons were playing their 6th game in 10 days, and their 8th in 13 days, shouldn't they have been equally exhausted tonight?

Offline kg is king

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • KG IS THE KING

Yep, but sadly they're not our core players. All this talk about getting younger and more athletic is just all talk. Sure we acquired/signed/drafted younger players. But they're all reserves. In the NBA you win with stars, not reserves. Sadly, our stars outside of Rondo are all past their prime.
"I'm from the bottom, I understand what it's like to have and to not have. My perception on giving is to put yourself in those people's shoes and go from there. So that's what I did. " - The One and Only KG

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372

Last night was the type of game Doc had to throw the playbook out the window on.  You could see that they simply weren't matching Detroit's energy.  I thought Pierce was horrendous.  Rondo was worse.

Sometimes you have to throw it out.  Bench Rondo.  Bench Pierce.  Play Barbosa/Lee/Terry/Green, Sullinger, and KG.

We have to understand that Rondo and Pierce have experienced every season since 2008.  They know that this team can turn it on when it wants to, and that games in November don't matter.  And the truth is, games in November don't matter.  Hell, games in February barely matter.  So long as you are .500 in the NBA you make the playoffs.  Rondo and Pierce know this, that's why they throw up stinkers and really don't care.  I don't blame them.

I blame Doc, though.  Sometimes you have to send the message that, yes...EVERY GAME matters.  Even if you lose in the end, the game matters.  So put in people who will play like it.

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

So since the Pistons were playing their 6th game in 10 days, and their 8th in 13 days, shouldn't they have been equally exhausted tonight?

Off Tues, road Wed, off Thurs, home Fri, off Sat, home Sun.

Off Tues, home Wed, road Thurs, off Fri, home Sat, road Sun.

You think that the team with no back to backs that's been home since Thurs will be equally tired as the team with a back to back, a day off and another back to back (with an away game during each back to back)? I would disagree.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Let's face facts, the additions of Courtney Lee, Jeff Green, Jason Terry have been extremely underwhelming, almost to the point of looking like serious mistakes.

The Bradley injury has also cost this team their best defensive player and the glue that makes the defense work because of his on the ball pressure and ability to create turnovers.

Also, enough with the Darko and Collins calls to play, they are and have always been bad players. They will contribute exactly squat this year. The rotation is

KG, Bass, Pierce, Bradley, Rondo
Wilcox, Sullinger, Green, Lee, Terry Barbosa

Those are the horses this team is going top win or lose with. Bradley has to get healthy and playing and Lee, Green, Terry have to start to come around and give significant contributions instead of the crap they have delivered thus far.

Sully and Barbosa are probably going to be wildly erratic because Sully is a rookie with limitations and Barbosa is a streak shooter getting spotty minutes.

But when the team shoots 45% and 23% from three while turning in a horrid defensive effort, losses like this will happen no matter who is playing.