Author Topic: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)  (Read 417121 times)

Re: A Game of Thrones (contains spoilers)
« Reply #1845 on: May 19, 2019, 10:33:50 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Lol this is unbelievably bad.

What didn’t you like? I thought it was “fine”

« Reply #1846 on: May 19, 2019, 10:37:16 PM »

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things
I thought the first half of the episode through Jon killing dany and drogon going nuts was excellent.  Lot of good dialogue and tension building.

« Reply #1847 on: May 19, 2019, 10:46:39 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I thought the first half of the episode through Jon killing dany and drogon going nuts was excellent.  Lot of good dialogue and tension building.
I agree good first half with a long good bye second half that was ok.

« Reply #1848 on: May 19, 2019, 10:46:42 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

Totally agree.

The show did rush to this conclusion, and it worked too hard to shock us by leaving some foreshadowing events offstage; it isn’t hard to find the seeds of Dany’s madness in earlier episodes, but they’re very much underplayed/developed. So I wish they’d taken longer and put more of it onscreen. Still, they gave me more than enough To feel I can fill in the blanks and enjoy the show.

« Reply #1849 on: May 19, 2019, 10:49:57 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I have to say I liked the episode. Maybe because I envisioned half of it going down that way in the end. Like the set up for a return as in their stories are just at the mid point. Good luck finding successors to Martin to take it farther and new actors to fill the roles. Can't wait for the books now.

« Reply #1850 on: May 19, 2019, 11:16:58 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
As far as finales go, there have been worse.  It had some good moments.  I get that the Starks have had a rough go of it throughout the series, but this seemed like an over-correction.  I really don't like Sansa...

« Reply #1851 on: May 19, 2019, 11:24:15 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
Ugh, such a disappointing ending season to this otherwise excellent show, capped off by this completely rushed and lackluster episode. This episode alone should've been at least two separate episodes, which led to them rushing the betrayal of Daenerys and botching it all up.

I mean, three of the biggest character deaths in the show (if not the three biggest - Cersei, Jamie, and Daenerys) had some of the worst and anti-climatic deaths and endings, all stemming from the rushed nature of this season. Hell, freaking Jorah, Varys, and others seemed to have more climatic and noteworthy endings. And the whole "start Democracy!"/"end hereditary monarchy!" scene was so cringey, let alone out of the blue and poorly set up.

I did like them having Drogon destroy the throne (though why he did is kind of questionable) and that they ended with Bran as king. That said, when Bran was chosen as king I was so hoping that they were going to intimate at the end that this led to Bran being the Night King in some sort of time travel/greensight scenario. But, alas, just more disappointment.

« Reply #1852 on: May 19, 2019, 11:26:25 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2932
My predictions for finale:

Jon kills Dany cause she’s crazy
Jon says “eff this place” goes back to the Wildlings and Tornund
Sansa becomes queen of the Winterfell
Gendry gets Kings Landing
Tyrion becomes hand to Gendry
Bran continues to do nothing and just collect disability
Honestly no idea how they tie out the rest of the characters story arcs (Brienne/Arya/Bronn/Greyworm/Sir Davos) in the remaining time

Pretty close! Switch Gendry and Tyrion and change the causality of Jon returning to the North and that's nearly nailing it lol

« Reply #1853 on: May 19, 2019, 11:35:37 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I have to say I liked the episode. Maybe because I envisioned half of it going down that way in the end. Like the set up for a return as in their stories are just at the mid point. Good luck finding successors to Martin to take it farther and new actors to fill the roles. Can't wait for the books now.
I thought the final was pretty decent. Where they laughed about the suggestion for a democratic solution was pretty clever. The door was left open for a sequel which I'm pretty sure we'll see at some point. 

Starting with the episode in season 7 where they killed Little Finger, they rushed things to the point where they hurt the show's legacy, which is too bad.  It was a great show for 6 seasons - and was still pretty good at the end - but with a little more thought/care it could have been the greatest TV series ever. 

« Reply #1854 on: May 19, 2019, 11:38:54 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
My only major gripes were:

They did a hell of a lot of nothing with some major setup they’ve done over the past few years. Why bother making Jon’s parentage such a big deal or have Arya show up to the post-battle rally at all if they don’t use some of what they’ve built.

Why does the Wall even exist anymore?

When Grey Worm left for Essos, why not just let Jon do whatever the Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. he wants?

« Reply #1855 on: May 19, 2019, 11:56:28 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Jon snow's life sucked.

Such an unfair life.

I guess the point is even if you do the right thing all the time expect no rewards.

« Reply #1856 on: May 20, 2019, 12:08:53 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
The spoilers ended up being correct.

I don't really buy that the lords of the realm etc would have gone along with choosing Bran. 

Also hard for me to believe Drogon wouldn't have turned Jon into a fritter after seeing him standing over Dany's corpse.

Overall, a perfectly fine ending.  How they got there though ... meh.

Anybody who really liked Danaerys as a character probably feels betrayed, and rightly so.  They did not do her justice.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1857 on: May 20, 2019, 01:17:09 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Biggest failing of the show was Bran.  They never did a good job explaining that character.  Easily the least interesting character of the show - so having him sit on the throne at the end feels really empty.  It also doesn't feel like a fitting conclusion to the story's arc.

Overall, my wife summed it up best.  "What was the point of that?"   It's possible George RR Martin had something he was trying to say with this story - but whatever that intended message was definitely got lost in the home stretch.  It just ended up feeling random and pointless. 

« Reply #1858 on: May 20, 2019, 01:21:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
As series finales go, I liked The Big Bang Theory's better.

« Reply #1859 on: May 20, 2019, 01:34:01 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Mixed bag of a finale. The first section through Dany's death was very good. Not a ton of great dialogue but really well-played overall with more brilliant visuals.

The choosing a new government part was dumb as hell but it was so much so that it was like gloriously dumb. I enjoyed it. Liked bringing Edmure back to make an idiot of himself, he was a good bit character.

The sendoff was...fine. After all that, in the end, the Starks won big time. Everybody basically got what they wanted, presumably even Bran, who knows.

Biggest failing of the show was Bran.  They never did a good job explaining that character.  Easily the least interesting character of the show - so having him sit on the throne at the end feels really empty.  It also doesn't feel like a fitting conclusion to the story's arc.

Yes - he was basically a cipher after he left Winterfell. His character was mostly things happening to him and despite being essentially omniscient was  never really proactive about ANYTHING, even claiming the crown.

I don't really buy that the lords of the realm etc would have gone along with choosing Bran. 

Yeah the major political developments, which happen in like 5 minutes, are A: little known weirdo mystic Bran Stark, with no traditional claim, is king now, with ZERO rival candidates, and B: his sister Sansa Stark gets total independence for her territory, which is largest in Westeros. You'd get resentment and rebellion basically overnight. And for anyone who takes it seriously, Queenslayer Jon Snow is in a foreign country where his sentence can't be enforced, and immediately jumps the border!

Also hard for me to believe Drogon wouldn't have turned Jon into a fritter after seeing him standing over Dany's corpse.

The Targaryen blood saves him I think.

Kinda related, how do you feel about Drogon melting the Iron Throne of his own volition? The throne getting melted was like the one thing I called correctly years back, and at first I thought not having a person make him do it was another terrible execution, but as I think about it I kinda like it. If you assume Drogon is roughly as smart as a person but in an alien way, it feels like he really was destroying the thing that killed his mother.