Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 600477 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2730 on: September 03, 2015, 11:29:53 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
So he plays the whole year or does this come back later?

« Reply #2731 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31:34 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Has ESPN trotted out Lester Munson yet?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2732 on: September 03, 2015, 11:35:32 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I am going to post some thoughts as a prediction so I can be on the record and see how I do.  I am an engineer, not a lawyer so the Ideal Gas Law is my strength, not jurisprudence.  As an engineer, I see no proof that the balls were even tampered with so in my mind, nothing else really matters.  But I am an engineer and not a judge and I believe the judge, based on reported statements, is not seeing that point as definitively as me.  He seems to think that the guys may have done something even if Brady did not specifically order it.

On the law side, based on what I have read, I think the judge can rule that even though the collective bargaining agreement does stipulate that Goodell can arbitrate these matters, there is still an implied requirement for the NFL to execute this role in a reasonably fair manner.  I predict that the judge is going to say that the NFL abused the power granted to them in the CBA and went way overboard.  If this had actually been a fair and reasonable arbitration, then the judge would be very reluctant to overturn but since the NFL turned this into a kangaroo court, it is not really arbitration and the judge should have much more latitude to overturn.

The ruling will be in favor of Brady and the NFL will be ordered to rehear the arbitration but to do so in a way that meets the standard of a real arbitration if they want it to be upheld.  What happens from there, who knows.  I am not sure that there is a scenario where Goodell can preside over an arbitration and have it be fair.

Yes!!!!!!

A rare case where I am actually right.  Yes, I am patting myself on the back but this is a special situation.  Foxboro should be rocking tonight.

Go Pats!!!!!

Good for Judge Berman.

Roger's days are numbered.  He has done a poor job of player discipline and should be replaced.

Look out Pittsburgh, you are going to see one fired up Brady on Thursday.
Only partially right. Berman just vacated the suspension altogether instead of reordering arbitration.

Details, details, I am still claiming victory.

I guess this mean the NFL can't appear?  So this is done? Over? (as it should be).  Other than Goodell being replaced of course.

« Reply #2733 on: September 03, 2015, 11:37:01 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They can appeal, they are appealing (I believe). The 'real' heart of the matter is that Brady will not have to serve the suspension this season (if at all).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2734 on: September 03, 2015, 11:40:24 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

One guy who definitely should get fired. 

Can't imagine Goodell getting fired, with 3+ years at $41M per, but he should be. Empty suit.

« Reply #2735 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:01 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Can someone delete this thread now. I am a Celtics fan, don't want to read about this nonsense any longer. Thank you.

« Reply #2736 on: September 03, 2015, 11:46:52 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Can someone delete this thread now. I am a Celtics fan, don't want to read about this nonsense any longer. Thank you.
No, they can't. If you don't want to read about this nonsense... well, don't read it?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2737 on: September 03, 2015, 11:48:09 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

nope just that genius Chris Carter ha......

« Reply #2738 on: September 03, 2015, 11:50:02 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

One guy who definitely should get fired. 

Can't imagine Goodell getting fired, with 3+ years at $41M per, but he should be. Empty suit.
Goodell's job is to take a punch for the owners. I don't imagine he could have been freelancing on this one -- but it's shocking to see there is at least one (and probably considerably more) owner that is so blind, jealous, and bitter to even attempt to see this stunt through (and yes, arbitrary and capricious punishment for alleged minor infraction can't be seen as anything other than a stunt).
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2739 on: September 03, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I am a Celtics fan and would like to continue reading about this nonsense.

It appears we are at a draw. Blame democracy.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2740 on: September 03, 2015, 11:54:02 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Simmons doing a little victory lap this morning.

Bill Simmons ?@BillSimmons  21m21 minutes ago
I learned today that, sometimes, a poorly planned and executed sting operation/witch hunt/smear campaign does NOT hold up in federal court.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2741 on: September 03, 2015, 12:00:58 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I'm still not onboard with the fire Goodell thinking, by the way (even though I agree that he's an idiot). Anyone care to convince me?

Do you agree there are probably any number of people who could do a better job?

Seems like a good reason to fire a dude making tens of millions of dollars a year to me.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2742 on: September 03, 2015, 12:05:04 PM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
So does Brady go after the NFL for slander and/or does Kraft go after the NFL for the picks and fine back? 

At the very least, I feel like Brady and Kraft should at least threaten to do both unless Goodell drops any notion of an appeal. 

« Reply #2743 on: September 03, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
So does Brady go after the NFL for slander and/or does Kraft go after the NFL for the picks and fine back? 

At the very least, I feel like Brady and Kraft should at least threaten to do both unless Goodell drops any notion of an appeal.
The finding was about the dispute process, not on the facts of the matter. It doesn't comment on that directly though if you read the opinion is pretty clear the Judge didn't think much of the "independent" investigation.

Thus you really aren't given ammo for slander/defamation or anything like that.

« Reply #2744 on: September 03, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
And also the answer would be "no" in all likelihood anyway. Kraft and Brady are not boat-rockers.

I'm still not onboard with the fire Goodell thinking, by the way (even though I agree that he's an idiot). Anyone care to convince me?

Do you agree there are probably any number of people who could do a better job?

Seems like a good reason to fire a dude making tens of millions of dollars a year to me.

Do a better job at what, though? As a commissioner, or as the guy who can totally and utterly screw up everything without alienating the fanbase or painting his bosses (the owners) as hideous and terrible people because he can sincerely claim that he's trying to protect the integrity of the shield?

Goodell wasn't the reason you could still buy women's Ray Rice shirts weeks after the video leaked, but Goodell is the one guy shouldering all the blame for how the league handled that situation and he didn't so much as bat an eye. There's an immense value in that for the NFL, which is reflected in his salary.