Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 600463 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #2880 on: September 08, 2015, 10:00:03 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Correct me if I am wrong, but filming opponents was never illegal in the NFL, as long as it happens from a booth and not from the field.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2881 on: September 08, 2015, 10:05:33 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Looks like the NFL is now using ESPN (again).  This time to leak "new" info regarding Spygate.  Seems like the league is smarting from losing the Deflategate case.  Ugh...  this stuff will never end.
It seems the author was on Mike and Mike today talking about this magnificent piece of investigative journalism.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #2882 on: September 08, 2015, 10:12:55 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Looks like the NFL is now using ESPN (again).  This time to leak "new" info regarding Spygate.  Seems like the league is smarting from losing the Deflategate case.  Ugh...  this stuff will never end.
It seems the author was on Mike and Mike today talking about this magnificent piece of investigative journalism.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/13533995/split-nfl-new-england-patriots-apart

Btw,  Goodell comes across pretty awful in that piece.  Not exactly glowing stuff on the NFL's part there.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2883 on: September 08, 2015, 10:17:27 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Btw,  Goodell comes across pretty awful in that piece.  Not exactly glowing stuff on the NFL's part there.
I think we've reached a general agreement that this whole thing was driven by Vincent and/or Kensil and/or Pash and/or a group of highly motivated owners.

Those people would have no issue leaking something that makes Goodell look bad.

« Reply #2884 on: September 08, 2015, 10:33:40 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
So the NFL...cough...I mean ESPN is really going to dredge up something from 8 years ago that the organization was punished for?

Oh, and it comes up less than a week since the NFL got defeated in court involving a member from that same team in a different high profile controversy?  C'mon.......

This just reeks of trying to save face or, even worse, a simple smear job.  :P
No question it does that, but it also might answer the question as to why the NFL came down so hard on the Patriots for some deflated footballs.  I mean that is a pretty common theme throughout this thread, why punish the Patriots so harshly for something that other teams get a slap on the wrist for?  Well now you have your answer, those other teams weren't undergoing widespread cheating for years.

The Patriots have always played fast and loose with the rules, so any rule violation, no matter how minor, is going to be looked at differently with the Patriots than any other organization.  It is the whole live by the sword die by the sword mentality.  when you skirt the line, you had better [dang] well make sure you don't cross it.

You are completely ignoring the fact that Bill Cowler, coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers during the period all of this time during which video taping occurred, says that every team was doing this.  Why don't you acknoweledge this? What does Cowler have to gain by making his observation?  And certainly he is quailifed to make it, he coached one of our biggest competitiors vying for Super Bowls during that era. 

« Reply #2885 on: September 08, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
So the NFL...cough...I mean ESPN is really going to dredge up something from 8 years ago that the organization was punished for?

Oh, and it comes up less than a week since the NFL got defeated in court involving a member from that same team in a different high profile controversy?  C'mon.......

No question it does that, but it also might answer the question as to why the NFL came down so hard on the Patriots for some deflated footballs.  I mean that is a pretty common theme throughout this thread, why punish the Patriots so harshly for something that other teams get a slap on the wrist for?  Well now you have your answer, those other teams weren't undergoing widespread cheating for years.

The Patriots have always played fast and loose with the rules, so any rule violation, no matter how minor, is going to be looked at differently with the Patriots than any other organization.  It is the whole live by the sword die by the sword mentality.  when you skirt the line, you had better [dang] well make sure you don't cross it.

You are completely ignoring the fact that Bill Cowler, coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers during the period all of this time during which video taping occurred, says that every team was doing this.  Why don't you acknoweledge this? What does Cowler have to gain by making his observation?  And certainly he is quailifed to make it, he coached one of our biggest competitiors vying for Super Bowls during that era.
stealing signals and illegally videotaping aren't the same thing.  The Steelers never illegally videotaped. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2886 on: September 08, 2015, 11:05:44 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
"Then the Patriots' coach, Bill Belichick, the cheating program's mastermind, spoke."

High quality journalism right there.

When will ESPN be releasing the other 31 articles detailing the exploits of the rest of the NFL franchises over the past 15 years?
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2887 on: September 08, 2015, 11:07:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
When will ESPN be releasing the other 31 articles detailing the exploits of the rest of the NFL franchises over the past 15 years?
You misspelled "fierce competitiveness".  :P

« Reply #2888 on: September 08, 2015, 11:10:21 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
What? We need something to cover two more days? Ok, got it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2889 on: September 08, 2015, 11:13:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Does ESPN ever expect to have any access to the Patriots going forward?  Between the Deflategate mess & this, why would anyone from the Pats deal with that network?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2890 on: September 08, 2015, 11:25:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
What? We need something to cover two more days? Ok, got it.

;D
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2891 on: September 08, 2015, 11:40:51 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2892 on: September 08, 2015, 11:48:21 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Simmons is having a field day with this piece.

« Reply #2893 on: September 08, 2015, 11:49:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

stealing signals and illegally videotaping aren't the same thing.  The Steelers never illegally videotaped.

Every team was video taping signals from 2001 through 2006.  Every team. That is what Cowler said. The ESPN article (and you) mislead others by saying only the Patriots were doing this. This widespread practice caused the NFL sent out a memo to teams saying that they must stop it.  Belichick disingenuously interpreted the memo by claiming it only applied to real time usage, and in so doing, was reprimanded (I would argue, severely) for this in 2007.  Do you really want to continue to claim that other teams were not video taping other team's signal calling during 2001-06? 

« Reply #2894 on: September 08, 2015, 12:00:45 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 915
Just curious, can anyone account for Belichick's whereabouts on November 22, 1963?

Mike