Author Topic: Jazz ban 2nd fan who called Westbrook "boy"  (Read 7675 times)

Jazz ban 2nd fan who called Westbrook "boy"
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:23:24 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Re: Jazz ban 2nd fan who called Westbrook "boy"
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Or maybe it's about time Utah police their worst in the league, racist crowds in Salt Lake City.

There is a difference between heckling and hurling racist and/or homophobic words at the other team's players.

A white man calling a black man a "boy" in the manner the fan used it definitely crosses the line and goes beyond heckling.

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 04:30:38 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Wow censorship. The days of heckling are over.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/26273966/jazz-ban-2nd-fan-called-westbrook-boy

Conflating heckling with racial taunts is...informative. Do you like to heckle sometimes?

Anyway, good. Glad the Jazz are cleaning things up - they'd have a much worse reputation for this stuff already if they weren't such a small market. Players' reactions to Westbrook suggests it's not news to them at all.

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 04:43:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It might just be something about the state of Utah.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 05:15:18 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Kenyon Martin said he used to hear things in other places, but Utah was the worst.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 05:17:05 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Wow censorship

I suppose banning people for racist taunts is censorship, sure.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 05:23:48 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
It might just be something about the state of Utah.

Nah just a few ignorants.

I'm sure Utah is a nice place overall.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 05:29:25 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
The problem here is where is the line going to be drawn for what constitutes a racial slur?

If a fan called a player a banana is that racist? If could be argued so.

So I question where will the line be drawn here.

Where I come from the word "boo" haz always been attached to a larger word used to describe a peraon of color in a racist manner. So should we not boo anymore?

Again not agreeing with these fans...but...where is the line. It needs to be black or white otherwise personal bias will influence decisions

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
This seems to be a pretty overt racist taunt when taken in context (unless this man was the most ignorant human in Utah); a white man yelling "Boy" at a black man?  Yeah, I'm not buying the censorship claim one bit.

NBA has this little thing called the Fan Code of Conduct.  You can't just waltz into an NBA event and do whatever you want and feel like you're protected by the Constitution.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2019, 05:50:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Wow censorship

you don't think it's a slippery slope when the word boy is considered a racial slur?

If a black women called westbrook "boy," would she have also been banned?

Or was it determined the fan was racist because he was a straight white male with a southern accent?

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
The problem here is where is the line going to be drawn for what constitutes a racial slur?

If a fan called a player a banana is that racist? If could be argued so.

So I question where will the line be drawn here.

Where I come from the word "boo" haz always been attached to a larger word used to describe a peraon of color in a racist manner. So should we not boo anymore?

Again not agreeing with these fans...but...where is the line. It needs to be black or white otherwise personal bias will influence decisions
agreed with everything you said

To me it appears that any white straight male fan (especially southern) are targeted as "racist" no matter what they say.. Its Probably political retribution in my opinion.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2019, 06:18:43 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Wow censorship

It's absolutely censorship. But it's legally protected censorship (no different than the censorship we have here). And simply the right thing to do.

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2019, 06:38:03 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Wow censorship

you don't think it's a slippery slope when the word boy is considered a racial slur?

Or was it determined the fan was racist because he was a straight white male with a southern accent?

I’m going to assume you don’t know the history. There is a long, long history of white people, both men and women, calling grown black men “boy” to demean them and them down to size.

But even if you don’t know the history, you have to consider all of what happened here.  The man was calling Westbrook “boy”, Westbrook told him to stop, the man continued.

He was deliberately provoking Westbrook. This wasn’t accidental or a fan who got surprised. He was trying to get under W’s skin.

To be honest, I’m pretty sure this fan knew what he was doing, what it expresses.  But even if you took race out of it, it would be pretty provocative. If you’re a man, I assume somebody doing that to you would make your blood rise.  Add race to it, and at some point the teams have to draw a line.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2019, 06:47:05 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
Wow censorship

I’m going to assume you don’t know the history. There is a long, long history of white people, both men and women, calling grown black men “boy” to demean them and them down to size.

But even if you don’t know the history, you have to consider all of what happened here.  The man was calling Westbrook “boy”, Westbrook told him to stop, the man continued.

He was deliberately provoking Westbrook. This wasn’t accidental or a fan who got surprised. He was trying to get under W’s skin.

To be honest, I’m pretty sure this fan knew what he was doing, what it expresses.  But even if you took race out of it, it would be pretty provocative. If you’re a man, I assume somebody doing that to you would make your blood rise.  Add race to it, and at some point the teams have to draw a line.

What if he said son instead of boy eith the same tone?

Does that get handled the same?

And if you are paying hundreds of dollars to support your team is it not ok to get engaged? To try and be a part of the win? Or should the fans act like golf fans.

And I wonder what would happen if someone in NYK called Hayward privileged? Or if they called him a cracker?

What about boogie cousins. Boogie is an south african racist slur for for black people? Should that be stopped?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:52:53 PM by Silky »