Author Topic: Any changes on prospects thoughts after Combine?  (Read 2444 times)

Any changes on prospects thoughts after Combine?
« on: November 16, 2020, 01:15:38 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
 I really feel the combine helped my opinions on guys I felt were underrated. Here are four hot takes.

-Jordan Nwora and Jalen Harris are likely the big 2nd round steals this year. Nwora has enough length and shooting to be a Duncan Robinson type. Harris has exceptional athletic ability and skill, he fits the Jordan Clarkson mold.

-Nnaji can be a very good Center, like possibly lottery worthy. Before combine felt he was too small and thin but combine showed other wise coming in at 6'10 246lbs 7'2ws His game is a blend of younger Vucevic and Sabonis. If he develops like either one of those guys have he will be a good center.

-I like Quickley at 26 over Terry, Maxey, Banes, Flynn, and C. Anthony because of the shooting and length. Getting a 3&D guard I feel is what the team needs over shot creation.

-I'd be okay with Josh Green at 14 if Jalen Smith, Lewis, or Nesmith aren't there. I actually have Green> Vassell, Okoro, and Hampton. His mechanics are better and he still has the length and athletic ability to be a good defender.

So which guys do you feel you have a nonconsensus high opinion of based on big boards?

Re: Any changes on prospects thoughts after Combine?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 01:37:00 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I really feel the combine helped my opinions on guys I felt were underrated. Here are four hot takes.

-Jordan Nwora and Jalen Harris are likely the big 2nd round steals this year. Nwora has enough length and shooting to be a Duncan Robinson type. Harris has exceptional athletic ability and skill, he fits the Jordan Clarkson mold.

-Nnaji can be a very good Center, like possibly lottery worthy. Before combine felt he was too small and thin but combine showed other wise coming in at 6'10 246lbs 7'2ws His game is a blend of younger Vucevic and Sabonis. If he develops like either one of those guys have he will be a good center.

-I like Quickley at 26 over Terry, Maxey, Banes, Flynn, and C. Anthony because of the shooting and length. Getting a 3&D guard I feel is what the team needs over shot creation.

-I'd be okay with Josh Green at 14 if Jalen Smith, Lewis, or Nesmith aren't there. I actually have Green> Vassell, Okoro, and Hampton. His mechanics are better and he still has the length and athletic ability to be a good defender.

So which guys do you feel you have a nonconsensus high opinion of based on big boards?

-Nwora perimeter defense was atrocious.  These days at the NBA level you just can't have a hole like this, unless you are Jokic or somekind of offensive wonder talent.   I agree Jalen Harris would be a steal at 47. 

- Didn't Nnaji post like a 6'10 wingspan?   We can see now why he was a poor rim protector.   He can jump but it takes him time to gather.   

-I like Pritchard at 47.  He is an older prospect but plays hard, good strength for a PG and can really shoot.  Clutch scorer at the college level

-Tillman is a 6'8 Grant Williams.  Nothing wrong in having multiple guys like this.  That can come in right away and make an impact. 

- Robert Woodward - a luxury version of Ojeleye.  More explosive/higher verticality,  higher shooting release point.  Just as versatile and strong on defense

- Josh Green -  a mild mannered, explosive version of Marcus Smart.  One of the top wing defenders of the draft.  He can guard 1-3 and 4 on a pinch.  3 pt shooting needs more consistency

- Udoka Azubuike - non existent jump shot.  Needs to improve stop and start defense/nitty gritty aspect of D end. But has ridiculous max vertical/wingspan for height.  Strangely his reach is not amazing (go figure).   I like the confidence he played with last season.  He rocked many centers he faced.   Obi Toppin was in distress trying to hold off Azubuike downlow.     This is a legit alley threat due to his size, max vertical and strength.   Even better possibly than Timelord or Bam or AD.    Danny would need to reach at 30 for Azubuike.  He won't last until 47
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 01:48:17 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 01:55:29 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
@Triboy
Nwora does have bad defense same as Robinson. Which is why felt that comp fits.

Nnaji ws is 7'2, his height in shoes is 6'10.25. Before combine I heard he could be 6'9 or even 6'8.He does stay grounded on defense so hard to tell what he truly was. Could be how he is coached on D.

-Big Azu, Nnaji and a few others look like they short changed their standing reaches to post better verticals. Some guys every draft do it to try and sell themselves as better athletes.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 02:01:33 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
@Triboy
Nwora does have bad defense same as Robinson. Which is why felt that comp fits.

Nnaji ws is 7'2, his height in shoes is 6'10.25. Before combine I heard he could be 6'9 or even 6'8.He does stay grounded on defense so hard to tell what he truly was. Could be how he is coached on D.

-Big Azu, Nnaji and a few others look like they short changed their standing reaches to post better verticals. Some guys every draft do it to try and sell themselves as better athletes.

interesting strategy.  But regardless, Azubuike can reach the clouds.  And he also loves to work his magic down low.   

I don't think he would win BAM.  But in spurts could cause BAM distress.  Like Kanter did. But inflict even more pain and also provide better defense/rim presence/rebounding.   

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 02:15:40 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I was on the fence about Tyrell Terry and Achiuwa. I'm not anymore. I wouldn't draft them at #14.

I was curious to see the exact measurements of Haliburton and Saddiq Bey. Unfortunately, they decided to skip the combine.

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 02:19:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
I was on the fence about Tyrell Terry and Achiuwa. I'm not anymore. I wouldn't draft them at #14.

I was curious to see the exact measurements of Haliburton and Saddiq Bey. Unfortunately, they decided to skip the combine.

Isnt Haliburton 6'3?  He doesnt look tall. He has the look and game of a player from the 70s.  His nickname should be retro

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2020, 02:37:24 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Isnt Haliburton 6'3?  He doesnt look tall. He has the look and game of a player from the 70s.  His nickname should be retro
Early reports had him at 6'5'' with a 7' wingspan! Turns out his wingspan is probably around the  6'7''-6'8'' range, but no one is really sure.

He reminds me of Lonzo, minus the off-court drama.
- Great passing skills and court vision. Pass-first mentality.
- High basketball IQ. Reads the game on both sides of the floor.
- Versatile defender
- He has an awkward shooting stroke, but he shot 41.9% from 3 on 5.6 attempts per game.
- He ain't explosive enough to create separation from his defender 1-on-1.
- He's skinny. Needs to bulk up.

I reckon he'd be a terrific fit next to the Js.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2020, 03:33:01 PM by Jvalin »