Author Topic: #DeflateGate (Court of Appeals Reinstates Suspension)  (Read 600586 times)

Re: #DeflateGate
« Reply #1800 on: July 29, 2015, 04:20:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
How many thousands of texts have all of you gotten? What? You deleted some? You don't actually have every phone you ever touched? Then you're guilty of whatever they try to find.

« Reply #1801 on: July 29, 2015, 04:24:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Brady finally comes out with a statement (you know, for the people in this thread that kinda actually care and have been following this from the start  ::) )

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/29/tom-brady-im-very-disappointed-i-did-nothing-wrong/

Lol ;D, you make it sound like a badge of honor.  It's not like we're talking about the pentagon papers, here ::).

« Reply #1802 on: July 29, 2015, 04:32:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
put another way: the reason there are reporters 'still' covering Deflategate is the same reason we can have a multi-page thread about RJ Hunter months before the regular season starts. It has very little to do with the quality (or lack thereof) of the happenings, but simply the fact that the happenings exist.

As far as the nfl goes, whether or not Brady gets suspended for four games seems like big news.

Certainly a bigger deal than RJ Hunter scoring 96 points. That was responding to the question "why are people still focusing on this?" and the answer is that it's the NFL -- the audience is voracious enough that they'll turn anything into a newsworthy story, "worthwhile" or not.

In your opinion, perhaps, but discussing RJ Hunter's summer league performance does tend to carry more weight, almost by default, on a blog dedicated to all things related to the Celtics ;).

« Reply #1803 on: July 29, 2015, 04:38:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
... got me.

At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #1804 on: July 29, 2015, 04:39:15 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Brady finally comes out with a statement (you know, for the people in this thread that kinda actually care and have been following this from the start  ::) )

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/29/tom-brady-im-very-disappointed-i-did-nothing-wrong/

Lol ;D, you make it sound like a badge of honor.  It's not like we're talking about the pentagon papers, here ::).

Sure.  And your ignorance on it is commendable also.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1805 on: July 29, 2015, 04:41:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Sure.  And your ignorance on it is commendable also.

Thanks, lol ;D.  However, in this case I think it's hard to argue that ignorance isn't bliss ;).

Pete Rose’s Investigator Says Tom Brady was ‘Ambushed’ by Goodell
« Reply #1806 on: July 29, 2015, 04:43:32 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/07/29/pete-roses-investigator-says-tom-brady-was-ambushed-by-goodell/

The actual video is what to watch there. He's very dismissive of the whole enterprise and has obviously relevantexpertise.

Dowd argues that Tom Brady is being convicted and suspended for an offense that he had no notice of.

“He was not suspended for failing to produce his telephone. If you read The Wells Report, it was based on alleged tampering and the text information. It wasn’t until he got on appeal that he was advised for the first time that his failure to produce the phone was a separate charge -- and that is a gross violation of fundamental fairness and due process if you will,” he said.

Re: Pete Rose’s Investigator Says Tom Brady was ‘Ambushed’ by Goodell
« Reply #1807 on: July 29, 2015, 04:45:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
http://www.foxbusiness.com/industries/2015/07/29/pete-roses-investigator-says-tom-brady-was-ambushed-by-goodell/

The actual video is what to watch there. He's very dismissive of the whole enterprise and has obviously relevantexpertise.

Dowd argues that Tom Brady is being convicted and suspended for an offense that he had no notice of.

“He was not suspended for failing to produce his telephone. If you read The Wells Report, it was based on alleged tampering and the text information. It wasn’t until he got on appeal that he was advised for the first time that his failure to produce the phone was a separate charge -- and that is a gross violation of fundamental fairness and due process if you will,” he said.

You mean the NFL was...gulp.... "moving the goalposts" here?

Sorry, bad pun.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #1808 on: July 29, 2015, 04:45:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Last point - wouldn't this whole thing have been over months ago if they had just let TMZ take over?  I'm not joking, here, btw - they have a sports division now and an excellent legal team.  Plus, they'd definitely add a considerable amount of humor to it.  What's the downside?

« Reply #1809 on: July 29, 2015, 04:52:03 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Sure, it goes to another device. Do you realize that the other person may have deleted the text? And obviously it's impractical to follow up on each of the thousands of texts to see if there was any relevant information, and probably well beyond the reach of the investigation.
Yeah, and all of this is true for Brady's phone as well.

Also, there's no telling how many actual recipients there were of the "thousands of texts".

By the way, Kraft said that they NFL received access to the phone of every non-NFLPA employee that it requested, including Belichick (so much about the crackpot theory of him being "protected" here).

One would wonder whether "the NFL received access to the phone of every non-NFLPA employee that it requested" is just another way to say "access to the phone of everyone involved except for Brady". For the record, I'm not saying that Brady had to turn his phone over, but for someone who's innocent and has nothing to hide, he's acting more like the opposite is true.

Re: Pete Rose’s Investigator Says Tom Brady was ‘Ambushed’ by Goodell
« Reply #1810 on: July 29, 2015, 04:54:59 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

You mean the NFL was...gulp.... "moving the goalposts" here?

Sorry, bad pun.

IMO a pretty good pun.

« Reply #1811 on: July 29, 2015, 04:56:15 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Last point - wouldn't this whole thing have been over months ago if they had just let TMZ take over?  I'm not joking, here, btw - they have a sports division now and an excellent legal team.  Plus, they'd definitely add a considerable amount of humor to it.  What's the downside?

This whole thing would have been over months ago if the NFL had done a routine internal investigation sans the multi-million dollar report and then utilized an actually independent arbitrator.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #1812 on: July 29, 2015, 05:14:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

This whole thing would have been over months ago if the NFL had done a routine internal investigation sans the multi-million dollar report and then utilized an actually independent arbitrator.

Oh you ;D.

« Reply #1813 on: July 29, 2015, 05:14:59 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Sure, it goes to another device. Do you realize that the other person may have deleted the text? And obviously it's impractical to follow up on each of the thousands of texts to see if there was any relevant information, and probably well beyond the reach of the investigation.
Yeah, and all of this is true for Brady's phone as well.

Also, there's no telling how many actual recipients there were of the "thousands of texts".

By the way, Kraft said that they NFL received access to the phone of every non-NFLPA employee that it requested, including Belichick (so much about the crackpot theory of him being "protected" here).

One would wonder whether "the NFL received access to the phone of every non-NFLPA employee that it requested" is just another way to say "access to the phone of everyone involved except for Brady". For the record, I'm not saying that Brady had to turn his phone over, but for someone who's innocent and has nothing to hide, he's acting more like the opposite is true.
Even folks who have nothing to hide typically go to court with an attorney.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #1814 on: July 29, 2015, 05:18:03 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501

You're right, but Goodell wanted to win the case or give the appearance that he tried.