Author Topic: More Conveniently Timed Kyrie Rumors  (Read 7846 times)

More Conveniently Timed Kyrie Rumors
« on: April 08, 2019, 10:06:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2919
Two to be in fact. Full disclosure - I think these are BS, especially since they're almost contradictory considered together and ESPECIALLY given the credibility (or lack thereof) of the sources (Stephen A. Smith and Frank Isola - both shills for their respective teams and markets, i.e. L.A. Lakers and N.Y. Knicks respectively).

The fact of the matter is, someone - likely at least in part Rich Paul - is still tying to stir up trouble and controversy with Kyrie and the Celtics all right before the playoffs, which I assume is a ploy to stir dissension in the locker room given the history of this team's chemistry this year. Lots of ulterior motives at play with these leaks to these NBA pundits. Isola even admits his rumor comes from a player agent - hmmm, I wonder who?  ::)

First, the Smith rumor about L.A.:

https://twitter.com/RyanWardLA/status/1115397301600538625?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1115397301600538625&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Farticles%2F2830262-lakers-rumors-celtics-kyrie-irving-will-meet-with-la-in-free-agency

Stephen A. Smith on Kyrie Irving/Lakers (1/2): "I'm told Kyrie Irving will grant the Lakers an interview this offseason. The Lakers will have an opp to get Kyrie Irving to come to LA I did not say he's coming to LA! I did not say that!..."

Stephen A. Smith on Kyrie Irving/Lakers (2/2): "...I don't know what he's gonna do, but during his free-agent tour, I'm told he'll give the Lakers an interview."

Next, the Isola rumor about N.Y.:

https://twitter.com/TJDhoops/status/1115418163297095680?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1115418163297095680&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fbleacherreport.com%2Fboston-celtics

https://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/agents-durant-irving-pairing-knicks-inevitable/490866

The rumors and chatter linking both Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving with the New York Knicks simply will not subside.

According to Frank Isola of the Athletic, some executives and agents in NBA circles remain convinced that Durant and Irving will team up on the Knicks when both become free agents this offseason. It is believed that Durant will not sign with New York unless another star player joins him there, and Irving is seen as the most likely.

One agent believes that the two players are debating who will be the first to sign with the Knicks. That would enable them to be seen as the leader, while the second player to sign would be considered a follower.

Both players will be annoyed by this story, as neither wants to answer questions about their impending free agency yet. The reality is this speculation will continue until one or both are signed, but it remains to be seen how realistic this proposition is and whether it will actually happen.

Re: More Conveniently Timed Kyrie Rumors
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 10:21:51 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Doesn't this part basically eliminate the possibility of both of them signing in NYK?

One agent believes that the two players are debating who will be the first to sign with the Knicks. That would enable them to be seen as the leader, while the second player to sign would be considered a follower.

This seems to be a non-starter for both of them - as evidenced by Kyrie wanting out of CLE and now Durant reportedly wanting to leave GSW. I would think that if either thinks they are the 'follower', there is no way this is going to work out.

My guess - and this is boring - Kyrie will re-sign with BOS, especially if an AD deal is on the horizon. And Durant will be the first to sign in NYK with another all-star (Butler, Kemba, etc) to follow. Thanks for posting jpotter - gotta love the chatter out there.

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:24:04 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 995
Irving did apologize to LeBron. LeBron did accept his apology. So Irving to Lakers is actually quite possible, but we'll see.

Although that would be silly to see Irving return to LeBron to play under his shadow again, after him wanting out of Cleveland because of LeBron (and his ridiculous team).

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:31:34 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Irving did apologize to LeBron. LeBron did accept his apology. So Irving to Lakers is actually quite possible, but we'll see.

Although that would be silly to see Irving return to LeBron to play under his shadow again, after him wanting out of Cleveland because of LeBron (and his ridiculous team).

Yeah, that would be nearly as bad from a publicity perspective as Durant going to GS. He'd forever be known in the shadow of Lebron. I think the NY rumor is much more credible (while still unlikely) than anything with LA, as it just doesn't make sense.

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:22 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
Doesn't this part basically eliminate the possibility of both of them signing in NYK?

This seems to be a non-starter for both of them - as evidenced by Kyrie wanting out of CLE and now Durant reportedly wanting to leave GSW. I would think that if either thinks they are the 'follower', there is no way this is going to work out.

My guess - and this is boring - Kyrie will re-sign with BOS, especially if an AD deal is on the horizon. And Durant will be the first to sign in NYK with another all-star (Butler, Kemba, etc) to follow. Thanks for posting jpotter - gotta love the chatter out there.

Agree about Kyrie. Given the AD possibility, I think it's much more likely he stays than he goes, barring a colossal collapse in the playoffs, that is.

About Durant - I'm still not sure what he does, and I think some of that depends upon what happens in the playoffs. I just don't see the logic of him going to NY, as I don't think they can put together a competitive team that will challenge for a title while he can still be the best player on the team, especially given their lackluster management and ownership. Granted, Durant also saw nothing wrong with joining the best regular season team in NBA history and that he would be on Lebron's level once winning a championship there, so he's obviously not the sharpest tool in the shed.

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 10:36:54 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

That’s a pretty dumb agent, because that’s a simple problem to solve. Do a concurrent signing / concurrent press conference.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Knicks = worst basketball franchise ever...one complete disaster after another

Knicks with KD + Kyrie = worst basketball franchise ever with two really  good players who aren't sure why they went there besides sneaker sales.

Should this happen? Will happily wager cold cash on "no title" during their stay in NYC.

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2019, 11:12:33 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I am just going to enjoy the playoffs and appreciate them for what they are, as this team could look different next season (whether that's good or bad, remains to be seen.)

As for the offseason, I wouldn't be surprised if Kyrie stays or goes. It's not hedging, it's just reality as it seems to be a very fluid situation which could certainly be impacted by the outcome of the playoffs. Even all of the "experts" have thrown in disclaimers saying Kyrie and Durant could change their mind a million times between now and July 1st.

If Kyrie did leave, I still think Ainge goes after Anthony Davis and wouldn't be surprised if Bradley Beal is the potential back-up plan.

I also think the only 3 guys that are just about certain to be back next season are Smart, Hayward and Horford.

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 12:50:40 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391

I don’t actually think it is possible honestly. I’ve actually apologized to some ex girlfriends or old friends for things that happened as I have grown. Doesn’t mean I want to go hang out with them all the time or start dating the girl again. Playing with Lebron legit annoyed kyrie. Lebron is an ego maniac, ball dominant and passive aggressive with the media. Considering he is coming off what everyone easily accepts as his worst year as a leader or teammate, why the heck would kyrie go play with him. The latest rumor is that Lebron has not even been able to get stars to sign up for space jam. There is also a very growing list of players that have either hinted or flat out said they didn’t want to play with Lebron because of his circus including Durant, Leonard, butler and even lesser players like Jamal Crawford. If people think kyrie wants to go play with a 36 year old Lebron that plays no defense under team leadership that has been spectacularly bad the last year o don’t know what else to say....

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 03:29:26 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I don’t actually think it is possible honestly. I’ve actually apologized to some ex girlfriends or old friends for things that happened as I have grown. Doesn’t mean I want to go hang out with them all the time or start dating the girl again. Playing with Lebron legit annoyed kyrie. Lebron is an ego maniac, ball dominant and passive aggressive with the media. Considering he is coming off what everyone easily accepts as his worst year as a leader or teammate, why the heck would kyrie go play with him. The latest rumor is that Lebron has not even been able to get stars to sign up for space jam. There is also a very growing list of players that have either hinted or flat out said they didn’t want to play with Lebron because of his circus including Durant, Leonard, butler and even lesser players like Jamal Crawford. If people think kyrie wants to go play with a 36 year old Lebron that plays no defense under team leadership that has been spectacularly bad the last year o don’t know what else to say....
It would certainly be a mind boggling decision on Kyrie's part with terrible optics.  It would look like he couldn't handle being a team leader.  That may actually be true but playing 2nd fiddle to Durant in NY or AD here would be much more explainable. 

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 06:36:24 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
What is the meaning of using S.A.S. as a source?
Realistically? To what good outcome could it lead to?

Reading from leaves, http://www.teausa.com/14531/reading-tea-leaves
thrown beans, http://www.bosnic.com/Bacanje-graha-0505778874.html
or Turkish coffee, https://www.instructables.com/id/Turkish-Coffee-Fortune-Telling/
is more reliable.

On average, a flipping coin hits more rumors right that S.A.S.
Swallowing a bats wing or/and snakes tale will give you a better insight in the league than listening to him.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:42:21 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 08:11:43 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I hate this "reporting" so much. It's not news, it's gossip. Citing "one agent" as a source means literally nothing. Someone else's agent, who probably has an agenda of his own as jpotter mentioned, isn't going to know any more about Kyrie's mindset than anyone else. You might as well cite me as a source.

Maybe Kyrie is leaving Boston but no one knows anything right now and this kind of piece, which is incredibly common, I find kind of disgusting.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2019, 09:02:47 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'd love it if Kyrie wasted the Lakers time and gave them a meeting.

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2019, 09:14:57 AM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
It is really sad that those so called "reporters" make millions reporting made up BS.
almost as sad as the kardashians millionaires.

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2019, 09:36:28 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
It is really sad that those so called "reporters" make millions reporting made up BS.
almost as sad as the kardashians millionaires.
Key point, the reporters are certainly NOT making things up.

Their sources are the ones feeding them this information. 100% a Lakers source fed this statement to Smith, same with the unnamed agent and Isola.