Author Topic: More Conveniently Timed Kyrie Rumors  (Read 7798 times)

Re: More Conveniently Timed Kyrie Rumors
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2019, 09:36:35 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Well one thing is certain, if Kyrie does decide to do a free agent tour, he is not sold on Boston. My thought process is if we do not sign him at the first moment, he wont be returning. If he needs a tour to decide what is best for him, he is not sold on Boston. If he does not need a tour, he signs for the max.

Love these rumors right before playoffs and after the Lakers are out of playoff contention. If he wanted to go back and be Lebron's shadow, he would have never forced his way off the Cavs. Him and Lebron could have stayed in Cleveland and kept dominating the East. He is not going to the Lakers- it is pure nonsense.

Knicks continue to be mired in mediocrity but closer to complete horror. They have been mismanaged for decades and adding a star or two wont change that unless the very people at the top step down.

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2019, 10:28:30 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
It is really sad that those so called "reporters" make millions reporting made up BS.
almost as sad as the kardashians millionaires.
Key point, the reporters are certainly NOT making things up.

Their sources are the ones feeding them this information. 100% a Lakers source fed this statement to Smith, same with the unnamed agent and Isola.

True. There needs to be some emphasis on quality of sources and quality of information. Not just "well, this is something someone said" regardless of merit or motivation.

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2019, 10:54:47 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Irving did apologize to LeBron. LeBron did accept his apology. So Irving to Lakers is actually quite possible, but we'll see.

Although that would be silly to see Irving return to LeBron to play under his shadow again, after him wanting out of Cleveland because of LeBron (and his ridiculous team).

I don’t actually think it is possible honestly. I’ve actually apologized to some ex girlfriends or old friends for things that happened as I have grown. Doesn’t mean I want to go hang out with them all the time or start dating the girl again. Playing with Lebron legit annoyed kyrie. Lebron is an ego maniac, ball dominant and passive aggressive with the media. Considering he is coming off what everyone easily accepts as his worst year as a leader or teammate, why the heck would kyrie go play with him. The latest rumor is that Lebron has not even been able to get stars to sign up for space jam. There is also a very growing list of players that have either hinted or flat out said they didn’t want to play with Lebron because of his circus including Durant, Leonard, butler and even lesser players like Jamal Crawford. If people think kyrie wants to go play with a 36 year old Lebron that plays no defense under team leadership that has been spectacularly bad the last year o don’t know what else to say....

Then if Steven A. is to be trusted, why would Kyrie consider meeting with the Lakers?

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2019, 11:11:16 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Here's the deal:

We will know by draft night, June 20,  whether or not Kyrie has agreed to sign with Boston or explore FA.

If Kyrie does not commit to re-sign with Boston by then, we can't structure an AD trade with the draft picks, since such a trade would require selecting picks for the Pels.

Danny, as a good GM, will require Kyrie to make his decision  before draft night, which is a full 11 days before the start of free agency on July 1.  So despite Kyrie saying "wait until July 1", the Celtics will require him to make his decision by June 20. 

If Kyrie says he hasn't made up his mind by June 20, or "wait until July 1", or he wants to talk to other teams first, then Danny will have no choice but to assume that means "no", and do with the picks what he deems is best for the team, whether that means trading them for someone other than AD, or selecting players, or some combination of both.  He won't be selecting them for NO, that's for sure, because without a firm commitment from Kyrie at that point, there is no point in trading for Davis. None. 

Media seems to be ignoring this.

Kyrie to Meet with Lakers
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2019, 02:30:18 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
Looks like Kyrie is mapping out his summer free agency tour:

https://sports.yahoo.com/stephen-smith-says-kyrie-irving-004341209.html

Just a thought - would Danny consider trading up in the draft to grab Morant or one of the other top PG's and might that not be a better route to go than dealing with the Kyrie drama year after year?

I'm thinking that even if he signs it's going to be one year and he keeps his options open.

Re: Kyrie to Meet with Lakers
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2019, 02:31:15 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Stephen A. Smith says it ... it must be true.

Or we could take it straight from Kyrie who says he is resigning.

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2019, 02:40:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Well one thing is certain, if Kyrie does decide to do a free agent tour, he is not sold on Boston. My thought process is if we do not sign him at the first moment, he wont be returning. If he needs a tour to decide what is best for him, he is not sold on Boston. If he does not need a tour, he signs for the max.

Love these rumors right before playoffs and after the Lakers are out of playoff contention. If he wanted to go back and be Lebron's shadow, he would have never forced his way off the Cavs. Him and Lebron could have stayed in Cleveland and kept dominating the East. He is not going to the Lakers- it is pure nonsense.

Knicks continue to be mired in mediocrity but closer to complete horror. They have been mismanaged for decades and adding a star or two wont change that unless the very people at the top step down.

i agree Irving is not going to Lakers while Bron is there.   Bron is about two faced as the world has ever known.  He only does what helps him secure money and fame first .  Everybody else is expendable asset.  Bron would dump Kyrie in a heartbeat , if it meant getting a better player in .   Kyrie thinks different , he is delusional.

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2019, 02:42:05 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
It must be a slow news day for Stephen A to try to get more eyeballs onto his show.

That said, I don't find anything wrong with Kyrie, or his agent, doing their due diligence. I'd be doing the same thing if I was fortunate enough to have my choice of employer. You want players to evaluate the alternatives and then pick you as the best one. And I'm confident that when he does that that's exactly what will happen. He's in a good situation here, finishing his second year as The Man on a team stocked with talent, he has a solid coach (though some here want him fired), he has a well-run front office that has the assets to go after whoever he thinks the team needs, and he's in a high profile situation. I honestly don't know if he will find a better situation than he has here to achieve his goals.

Compare our situation with the Lakers - he has probably at most a 2 year window before LeBum gets too old, he goes from being The Man to being Robin to LeBum's Batman, he has a dysfunctional front office, he won't even know who the coach will be, the support cast sucks...oh but the weather's great at least.  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2019, 02:48:24 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1361
It is really sad that those so called "reporters" make millions reporting made up BS.
almost as sad as the kardashians millionaires.

The problem is in this hyperconnected, social media driven, 24 hour news cycle we live in these days, it's not enough to just report factual information on print media or for the Sports section of the nightly news, everyone has to fill hours and hours of talking head airtime. Everyone needs clicks, likes, shares. The talking heads need topics to talk about, preferably controversial ones. News is no longer fact based, it's opinion based. Look at all the "news" stories which consist of some talking head like Stephen A, or Cowherd, or Bucher talking about his opinion on something. We've gotten to the point where reporters report what other reporters think of rumors!

I stick to the actual reporters that report actual facts, like Wojnarowski or Charania. Everyone else is just pushing their agenda.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2019, 03:12:48 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Irving did apologize to LeBron. LeBron did accept his apology. So Irving to Lakers is actually quite possible, but we'll see.

Although that would be silly to see Irving return to LeBron to play under his shadow again, after him wanting out of Cleveland because of LeBron (and his ridiculous team).

I don’t actually think it is possible honestly. I’ve actually apologized to some ex girlfriends or old friends for things that happened as I have grown. Doesn’t mean I want to go hang out with them all the time or start dating the girl again. Playing with Lebron legit annoyed kyrie. Lebron is an ego maniac, ball dominant and passive aggressive with the media. Considering he is coming off what everyone easily accepts as his worst year as a leader or teammate, why the heck would kyrie go play with him. The latest rumor is that Lebron has not even been able to get stars to sign up for space jam. There is also a very growing list of players that have either hinted or flat out said they didn’t want to play with Lebron because of his circus including Durant, Leonard, butler and even lesser players like Jamal Crawford. If people think kyrie wants to go play with a 36 year old Lebron that plays no defense under team leadership that has been spectacularly bad the last year o don’t know what else to say....

Then if Steven A. is to be trusted, why would Kyrie consider meeting with the Lakers?

Professional courtesy. Literally happens every offseason. I am not really sure why some are throwing common sense out the window on this stuff.

Also, I will add, Steven A Smith can clearly NOT be trusted. There is a mountain of evidence to support that
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 03:17:57 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2019, 03:19:58 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Professional courtesy. Literally happens every offseason. I am not really sure why some are throwing common sense out the window on this stuff.

Why does everyone ignore the reality of the situation here? I wrote about this above.

If Kyrie goes on a tour, it is not professional courtesy. It means he is not staying with the Celtics, period.

Why? Because Danny will force Kyrie to decide whether or not to stay with Boston BEFORE draft night.

Why? Because if Kyrie does not agree to stay in Boston by then, there will be no Anthony Davis trade.

Honestly, why is that so difficult to understand?

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2019, 03:20:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I really don't know why any free agent would trust the Lakers or Knicks management to do the right thing and be able to build a winner.  Dolan is the worst owner in the league (though he may have finally found a competent basketball mind) and Magic Johnson is probably the worst basketball executive and frankly I'm not sure how good the Buss children are as owners either.  If you could play for any team, I really don't see why you'd play for either of those teams.  Even if you wanted to be in the those markets, the Nets and Clippers both seem like much better basketball options. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2019, 03:27:44 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Here's the deal:

We will know by draft night, June 20,  whether or not Kyrie has agreed to sign with Boston or explore FA.

If Kyrie does not commit to re-sign with Boston by then, we can't structure an AD trade with the draft picks, since such a trade would require selecting picks for the Pels.

Danny, as a good GM, will require Kyrie to make his decision  before draft night, which is a full 11 days before the start of free agency on July 1.  So despite Kyrie saying "wait until July 1", the Celtics will require him to make his decision by June 20. 

If Kyrie says he hasn't made up his mind by June 20, or "wait until July 1", or he wants to talk to other teams first, then Danny will have no choice but to assume that means "no", and do with the picks what he deems is best for the team, whether that means trading them for someone other than AD, or selecting players, or some combination of both.  He won't be selecting them for NO, that's for sure, because without a firm commitment from Kyrie at that point, there is no point in trading for Davis. None. 

Not necessarily. First off I think Ainge wants Davis bad enough that he would still trade for Davis, even without Kyrie.

Secondly, Smart could easily replace Kyrie at point guard. The upgrade at center from Baynes to Davis would be huge.

A team of Smart/insert SG via free agency/Hayward/Horford/Davis is still a good team.

Tatum/Brown/sign and trade of Rozier/Baynes likely goes to New Orleans

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2019, 03:29:53 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Here's the deal:

Not necessarily. First off I think Ainge wants Davis bad enough that he would still trade for Davis, even without Kyrie.

Secondly, Smart could easily replace Kyrie at point guard. The upgrade at center from Baynes to Davis would be huge.

A team of Smart/insert SG via free agency/Hayward/Horford/Davis is still a good team.

Tatum/Brown/sign and trade of Rozier/Baynes likely goes to New Orleans

Strongly disagree, unless Davis says he would be open minded to staying with Boston if traded there. If Kyrie bolts, I give that chance 0% to happen.

« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2019, 03:34:15 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I really don't know why any free agent would trust the Lakers or Knicks management to do the right thing and be able to build a winner.  Dolan is the worst owner in the league (though he may have finally found a competent basketball mind) and Magic Johnson is probably the worst basketball executive and frankly I'm not sure how good the Buss children are as owners either.  If you could play for any team, I really don't see why you'd play for either of those teams.  Even if you wanted to be in the those markets, the Nets and Clippers both seem like much better basketball options.

For whatever reason it seems like playing in MSG has the biggest appeal for these players of any NBA stadium. I think Lebron, Wade and others have talked about it. I totally agree from a basketball standpoint, but I think MSG is part of the Knicks appeal.