Author Topic: Carsen Edwards 4 year deal  (Read 7120 times)

Re: Carson Edwards 4 year deal
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Celtics just got a steal. Wow, that is cheap $.
He's a 2nd round pick.  4.5M guaranteed may be on the high side.

Dunno what all the other figures have been this year, but Bruno Fernando 2019 #34 got 4.7M guaranteed

Claxton and Okpala (2019 #31 and #32) got three years fully guaranteed for minimum (no numbers released so not sure what $ that equates to)

Also, last year’s #33 pick Jalen Brunson received 4.3M guaranteed

#38 this year, Gafford, got 6.1 over four, first two years guaranteed.

I wouldn’t call this a steal as it’s the going rate for second rounders but it’s a fantastic signing nonetheless.

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2019, 12:03:50 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
in today's nba you worry if $4.5 million is an overpay?  ::)  other second round picks in the same area are signing for $1.1 million to $1.5 million. this is right in that range.

good pick by ainge, good deal for both parties.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2019, 12:17:24 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
There is no appreciable difference in their heights. 3-4 inches at that level is not a lot.

That is an untrue statement if there ever was one.    Big Difference between a 6-8 vs a 7 foot center and a 6-1 and 6-5 guard.   There are guys who can beat the difference with skill and talent but size matters a lot in basketball.

Oh I stand by my posts... basketball as I have said countless number of times here is still a big man games and we need bigs. I am glad Danny is addressing that problem, but at the lower ebb 5'9 is not appreciably less than 6'1 especially when the 5'9 guy played had the hops of a 6'5 guy.

I still believe that on offense IT is the best comparison for Carsen (my favorite Celtic).

By the way, 6'8 vs 7'1 and 6'1 vs 6'5 is totally different from 5'9 vs 6'1.
I don't disagree about the importance of bigs, but IMHO you are drastically understating the difference between 5'9 and 6'1 even for guards. IT was constantly singled out and attacked in switches by opposing teams, because of his size he was clearly a weak link in the defense.

At 6'1 Edwards won't be as easy to attack. Look at it this way, against a 6'4 guard Edwards only gives up 3 inches, that's not too bad of a match up. IT would be giving up 7 inches, he would not even be able to bother a shot in that scenario. It's a much bigger difference than you think.

I also think the two are different with respect to strength and speed. Edwards looks to be very strong, IT was not. IT had elite quickness, Edwards looks quick, but not IT quick. They are very different players.

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2019, 12:50:11 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Is Carsen Edwards going to be this years Clay Daniel Buchholz, or will people learn how to spell his name now that he’s signed a contract?

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2019, 01:08:02 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
There is no appreciable difference in their heights. 3-4 inches at that level is not a lot.

That is an untrue statement if there ever was one.    Big Difference between a 6-8 vs a 7 foot center and a 6-1 and 6-5 guard.   There are guys who can beat the difference with skill and talent but size matters a lot in basketball.

Oh I stand by my posts... basketball as I have said countless number of times here is still a big man games and we need bigs. I am glad Danny is addressing that problem, but at the lower ebb 5'9 is not appreciably less than 6'1 especially when the 5'9 guy played had the hops of a 6'5 guy.

I still believe that on offense IT is the best comparison for Carsen (my favorite Celtic).

By the way, 6'8 vs 7'1 and 6'1 vs 6'5 is totally different from 5'9 vs 6'1.
I don't disagree about the importance of bigs, but IMHO you are drastically understating the difference between 5'9 and 6'1 even for guards. IT was constantly singled out and attacked in switches by opposing teams, because of his size he was clearly a weak link in the defense.

At 6'1 Edwards won't be as easy to attack. Look at it this way, against a 6'4 guard Edwards only gives up 3 inches, that's not too bad of a match up. IT would be giving up 7 inches, he would not even be able to bother a shot in that scenario. It's a much bigger difference than you think.

I also think the two are different with respect to strength and speed. Edwards looks to be very strong, IT was not. IT had elite quickness, Edwards looks quick, but not IT quick. They are very different players.

I wont go as far as very different but we shall see.

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2019, 01:18:24 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
It’s Carsen not Carson

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2019, 01:28:30 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Is Carsen Edwards going to be this years Clay Daniel Buchholz, or will people learn how to spell his name now that he’s signed a contract?

Carsen smarsen!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Dunno what all the other figures have been this year, but Bruno Fernando 2019 #34 got 4.7M guaranteed

Claxton and Okpala (2019 #31 and #32) got three years fully guaranteed for minimum (no numbers released so not sure what $ that equates to)

Also, last year’s #33 pick Jalen Brunson received 4.3M guaranteed

#38 this year, Gafford, got 6.1 over four, first two years guaranteed.

I wouldn’t call this a steal as it’s the going rate for second rounders but it’s a fantastic signing nonetheless.

I think his big get was the third guaranteed year because the 2 guaranteed/2 team options setup is usually what we'd try to get a 2nd rounder to do.

Re: Carsen Edwards 4 year deal
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2019, 03:04:57 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 391
Congrats to him! Dude looks like a spark plug off the bench
- LilRip

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2019, 03:09:07 PM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker

Yes! IMO potential to quickly become an Eddie House Patty Mills hybrid  :D

« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2019, 07:48:53 PM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62

Yes! IMO potential to quickly become an Eddie House Patty Mills hybrid  :D

Hopefully much more Patty Mills than Eddie House

« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2019, 08:14:26 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Yes! IMO potential to quickly become an Eddie House Patty Mills hybrid

He is a better shooter than either one of those guys.

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2019, 08:18:08 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Eddie i
House is the most over rated  player lol

« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2019, 11:34:40 AM »

Online rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
press release

https://www.nba.com/celtics/news/pressrelease/celtics-sign-2019-nba-draft-pick-carsen-edwards

Celtics Sign 2019 NBA Draft Pick Carsen Edwards

Boston Celtics
Jul 14, 2019 10:55 AM ET

BOSTON, MA – The Boston Celtics have signed rookie guard Carsen Edwards, the team announced today. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Selected 33rd overall by the Celtics in the 2019 NBA Draft, Edwards capped off his three-year career at Purdue University with a dynamic junior season in 2018-19. In addition to finishing ninth in the NCAA in scoring at 24.3 points, his 874 points scored ranked third in school history for points tallied in a single season. The Atascocita, TX native also shot 39.4% from the field and drilled 135 three-pointers (35.5% 3-PT) en route to being named one of 10 finalists for the 2018-19 Naismith Trophy – given to the NCAA National Player of the Year.

Edwards completed a stellar run in Las Vegas at the MGM Resorts NBA Summer League 2019, where he averaged 19.4 points (47.9% FG, 46.7% 3-PT), 3.8 rebounds, 1.4 assists, and 1.0 steals in five games (two starts). The 21-year-old guard reached the 20-point mark three times, including a 25-point, 8-rebound performance in the team’s summer finale against the Grizzlies on July 13.