Author Topic: Carsen Edwards 4 year deal  (Read 7119 times)

Re: Carson Edwards 4 year deal
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2019, 09:27:24 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So is it just a straight $1.5m/yr deal with an option for a 4th. The wording is a little iffy since it says it's a 4-yr fully guaranteed deal, but the 4th year is a team option.

Either way, good deal for all parties - especially the Cs. Edwards may be an unproven 2nd round pick, but he has several NBA level skills that should at least make him worthy of sticking around for the duration of the contract...hopefully he proves much more!

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2019, 09:48:53 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Celtics just got a steal. Wow, that is cheap $.
He's a 2nd round pick.  4.5M guaranteed may be on the high side.

Dunno what all the other figures have been this year, but Bruno Fernando 2019 #34 got 4.7M guaranteed

Claxton and Okpala (2019 #31 and #32) got three years fully guaranteed for minimum (no numbers released so not sure what $ that equates to)

Also, last year’s #33 pick Jalen Brunson received 4.3M guaranteed

I'm sure the contract is comparable.  What I'm saying is I think Edward's is the real deal and the Celtics get him for $1.5 million a year. That's an amazing deal for the Celtics. Almost stealing.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2019, 09:53:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
This was a great signing and they are grooming him to come of the bench in summer league for instant on fire offense.  Arson Carson!

Its Carsen. Don't want this to be another Hortford, Haywood, Jason, Jalen or Semmi again.

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2019, 10:15:24 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Celtics just got a steal. Wow, that is cheap $.
He's a 2nd round pick.  4.5M guaranteed may be on the high side.

Dunno what all the other figures have been this year, but Bruno Fernando 2019 #34 got 4.7M guaranteed

Claxton and Okpala (2019 #31 and #32) got three years fully guaranteed for minimum (no numbers released so not sure what $ that equates to)

Also, last year’s #33 pick Jalen Brunson received 4.3M guaranteed

I'm sure the contract is comparable.  What I'm saying is I think Edward's is the real deal and the Celtics get him for $1.5 million a year. That's an amazing deal for the Celtics. Almost stealing.

yeah , i mean who is out there at any age can shoot and play like a lion @ 1.5m  ..... most who can shoot are older and garbage defense or play no defense at all.  All crippled up and worthless.

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2019, 10:44:34 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
This was a great signing and they are grooming him to come of the bench in summer league for instant on fire offense.  Arson Carson!

Its Carsen. Don't want this to be another Hortford, Haywood, Jason, Jalen or Semmi again.

Can we add Taco to that list, too?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2019, 10:50:47 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Adam Himmelsbach @AdamHimmelsbach
 9m9 minutes ago

According to a league source the Celtics and 2nd round pick Carsen Edwards have come to terms on a guaranteed contract.

Adam Himmelsbach@AdamHimmelsbach
 7m7 minutes ago

Over $4.5 million in guaranteed salary over the course of the deal for Edwards, per source.

It’s a 4-year deal for Carsen Edwards.

I like the sounds of this!

locked up the next IT.

It's true, he is very ITish. I like it.

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2019, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Danny got a steal.

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2019, 10:54:07 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Nice job by Ainge. It's very early, but it appears that he may have selected a productive draft class in a year that the draft wasn't highly regarded.

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2019, 11:01:46 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Thanks I lazily copied from from the OP, my bad sorry.

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2019, 11:02:14 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Danny got a steal.

Havelchik  oops Danny stole the kid, Danny stole the kid, Danny stole the kid.

Yall do realize that Carsen was selected with the additional pick Cs got from Philly.

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2019, 11:03:53 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
 9m9 minutes ago

According to a league source the Celtics and 2nd round pick Carsen Edwards have come to terms on a guaranteed contract.

7m7 minutes ago

Over $4.5 million in guaranteed salary over the course of the deal for Edwards, per source.

locked up the next IT.

He's got a shooters mentality, so in that sense he's like IT, but otherwise he's not really all that much like IT. IT's defining characteristic was his ability to score despite his diminutive size. Edwards is a little short for the modern NBA, but not by all that much. IT is 5 9, Edwards is 6 1 and built like a tank. Edwards is also a good defender, defense was a huge problem for IT.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2019, 11:15:08 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318

I wrote a whole thread once with five paragraphs where I typed 'Gordon Haywood' about 6 times.  :o

Happy to have Carsen on fair terms. Here's hoping they have to rip the last year of the deal up for a lucrative extension.

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2019, 11:24:51 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
 9m9 minutes ago

7m7 minutes ago

locked up the next IT.

He's got a shooters mentality, so in that sense he's like IT, but otherwise he's not really all that much like IT. IT's defining characteristic was his ability to score despite his diminutive size. Edwards is a little short for the modern NBA, but not by all that much. IT is 5 9, Edwards is 6 1 and built like a tank. Edwards is also a good defender, defense was a huge problem for IT.

Edwards is my favorite Celtic ..... he may be 6' 1, but he looks nothing like it. His build may make him look shorter than he is. That is good because he is going to deceive a lot of defenders. The way he plays and the way he explodes to the basket makes him an IT clone.

There is no appreciable difference in their heights. 3-4 inches at that level is not a lot.

By the way, Chris Paul is listed at 6'0 and the Isiah Thomas is listed at 6'1. Carsen just looks shorter than these two. What makes Carsen similar to IT is the speed at which he plays, his shooting, and the way he explodes to the basket.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 11:30:26 AM by Ogaju »

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2019, 11:36:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
There is no appreciable difference in their heights. 3-4 inches at that level is not a lot.

That is an untrue statement if there ever was one.    Big Difference between a 6-8 vs a 7 foot center and a 6-1 and 6-5 guard.   There are guys who can beat the difference with skill and talent but size matters a lot in basketball. 

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 11:50:13 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman

That is an untrue statement if there ever was one.    Big Difference between a 6-8 vs a 7 foot center and a 6-1 and 6-5 guard.   There are guys who can beat the difference with skill and talent but size matters a lot in basketball.

Oh I stand by my posts... basketball as I have said countless number of times here is still a big man games and we need bigs. I am glad Danny is addressing that problem, but at the lower ebb 5'9 is not appreciably less than 6'1 especially when the 5'9 guy played had the hops of a 6'5 guy.

I still believe that on offense IT is the best comparison for Carsen (my favorite Celtic).

By the way, 6'8 vs 7'1 and 6'1 vs 6'5 is totally different from 5'9 vs 6'1.