Author Topic: I'm calling it...our #3 draft pick for 2016. Buddy Hield. Boom.  (Read 47770 times)

Re: I'm calling it...our #3 draft pick for 2016. Buddy Hield. Boom.
« Reply #225 on: May 24, 2016, 10:14:32 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Mike, your attack wasn't warranted.  I'm genuinely asking questions.  I freely admit to not watching College ball.

McDermott went 11th in a what was believed to be an epic draft 8 stars deep.   

Here is why every attack you get is deserved.

Drafted before McDermott in 2014...

10.  Elfrid Payton.
9.  Noah Vonleh.
8.  Nik Stauskus.
7.  Julius Randle.
6.  MARCUS SMART
5.  Dante Exum.
4.  Aaron Gordon.
3.  Joel Embiid.
2.  Jabari Parker.
1.  Andrew Wiggins.

You are just flat out making stuff up about a draft that only happened two years ago.  So, you're either trolling or you have some sort of a brain disorder.

Mike
That's enough of that Mike.   Get it together.

Despite Mike's unacceptable behavior, I'll respond to his attempt at making a point.

As most of us are aware by now, every year, Chad Ford reaches out to scouts, GM's, etc and comes up with his "draft tiers".  Tier 1 players are "can't miss".  Tier 2 players have a chance of developing into stars.  Tier 3 players have a chance of being quality starters, etc.   There's been years where there wasn't a single player listed as  "Tier 1" prospect.   In 2013, for instance, there wasn't a single player listed as Tier 1 OR Tier 2. 

Just a refresher for those who might have poor memories, in 2014, there were 9 players listed in Tier 1 and Tier 2.  Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskas were both listed as Tier 3 prospects. 

Now, we're still waiting to see Chad Ford's tier rankings this season.   I've seen some speculate that Brandon Ingram and Ben Simmons are both Tier 1 players and not a single player will be listed in Tier 2.   I've seen it suggested that there will be no Tier 1 players this year... just two players in Tier 2.   

The point I was making and Mike was ignoring in the midst of trolling me, is that not all drafts are equal.   It was said that all 9 of the players taken at the top of the 2014 draft would have been taken ahead of Anthony Bennett (the #1 pick in 2013).   So it can pretty conclusively be said that being taken 9th in 2014 is more impressive than being taken 1st in 2013.  And as far as scouts/experts are concerned (according to Chad Ford), Nik Stauskas and Doug McDermott, a "Tier 3-level prospects", were on a par with the players taken at the tippy top of the 2013 draft.  Per Chad Ford himself:

In 2013, we put the top six players in the draft in Tier 3: Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett, Ben McLemore, Alex Len, Victor Oladipo and Otto Porter. That means that all nine guys listed in Tier 1 or Tier 2 would have been drafted ahead of the top six players in 2013.

Side note:  In 2015, only Karl Towns was listed as a Tier 1 player.  Followed by four players as "Tier 2 prospects", and guys like Willie Cauley Stein and Mario Hezonja as a "Tier 3". 

From what I understand, Buddy Hield is a Tier 3 prospect at best.

So yeah... Doug McDermott going 11th (a tier 3 player) in 2014 might be the equivalent of Buddy Hield going 7th in 2016.   We aren't sure at this point.   We can wait and see.  But if Hield is considered a Tier 3 player, that put him on a par with McDermott as a prospect.   Of course, that just reflects what Ford is relaying from scouts/experts.   There's still a chance Hield exceeds expectations.  There's also a chance he doesn't. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:55:02 PM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #226 on: May 24, 2016, 10:18:06 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Your not missing anything LarBird33.

Buddy Basketball had a great tourney. If OK was bounced the first weekend he would be a JAG like most of these College players. Don't get caught up in the hype.

Bottom line is this and the bottom line is undisputed. There is NO Duncan, Lebron or Larry legend in this draft or the 17 draft.
This is Ainge's last stand. Trades and free agents to be had. Picks to be traded.

If not? we've all been drinking the green kool-aid
So he might be a great shooter on this level.  I don't know.  But I've consistently seen him called a one-dimensional player and there's been consistent questions about his ability to create on the NBA level.  This is straight from draftexpress:

There are some question marks about what type of creator he will be at an NBA level, though, as he at times struggles to turn the corner already against quicker collegiate guards, and can't always create much breathing room against bigger and lengthy wings.

He can be a little bit predictable when putting the ball on the floor, as he almost always pulls up off the dribble or tries to execute a step back when driving left, and will try to get all the way to the rim when going right (which is rare). Not blessed with an elite first step, he can still stand to continue to improve his advanced ball-handling skills to create space in the half-court. In traffic, as he doesn't always have the size or explosiveness to finish effectively against rim-protectors, and thus relies very heavily on his shot-making prowess from the perimeter.

I don't get how someone can read that and act like it's an insult to compare Hield to McDermott based on the idea that "there were concerns about McDermott's size and athleticism".   Yeah... seems to me, there's concerns about Hield's size and athleticism as well.

Because they are completely different players and that's obvious?
Hield's athleticism is way better than McDermott's and his length for his position and height. His reach is similar.

But yeah, there's a chance he's nothing more than a role player. Hopefully his floor is JJ Redick and his ceiling is James Harden .
His work ethic and IQ combined with NBA athleticism and size are what set him apart for me.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:23:21 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #227 on: May 24, 2016, 10:19:04 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
There were concerns about Dwayne Wades defense skills but I didn't see that stopping him from being an NBA star. I think this thought that everyone drafted has to be able to play defense or they won't become an NBA star is ridiculous. Carmelo Anthony sucks at defense, James Harden sucks at defense and Kobe Bryant wasnt the best defender but yet they were NBA superstars cause they scored points.

They are overrated players because volume scoring is an overrated skill.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #228 on: May 24, 2016, 10:37:03 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Mike, your attack wasn't warranted.  I'm genuinely asking questions.  I freely admit to not watching College ball.

10.  Elfrid Payton.
9.  Noah Vonleh.
8.  Nik Stauskus.
7.  Julius Randle.
6.  MARCUS SMART
5.  Dante Exum.
4.  Aaron Gordon.
3.  Joel Embiid.
2.  Jabari Parker.
1.  Andrew Wiggins.

You are just flat out making stuff up about a draft that only happened two years ago.  So, you're either trolling or you have some sort of a brain disorder.

Mike

Despite Mike's unacceptable behavior, I'll respond to the instigator's attempt at making a point.

As most of us are aware by now, every year, Chad Ford reaches out to scouts, GM's, etc and comes up with his "draft tiers".  Tier 1 players are "can't miss".  Tier 2 players have a chance of developing into stars.  Tier 3 players have a chance of being quality starters, etc.   There's been years where there wasn't a single player listed as  "Tier 1" prospect.   In 2013, for instance, there wasn't a single player listed as Tier 1 OR Tier 2. 

Just a refresher for those who might have poor memories, in 2014, there were 9 players listed in Tier 1 and Tier 2.  Doug McDermott and Nik Stauskas were both listed as Tier 3 prospects. 

Now, we're still waiting to see Chad Ford's tier rankings this season.   I've seen some speculate that Brandon Ingram and Ben Simmons are both Tier 1 players and not a single player will be listed in Tier 2.   I've seen it suggested that there will be no Tier 1 players this year... just two players in Tier 2.   

The point I was making and Mike was ignoring in the midst of trolling me, is that not all drafts are equal.   It was said that all 9 of the players taken at the top of the 2014 draft would have been taken ahead of Anthony Bennett (the #1 pick in 2013).   So it can pretty conclusively be said that being taken 9th in 2014 is more impressive than being taken 1st in 2013.  And as far as scouts/experts are concerned (according to Chad Ford), Nik Stauskas and Doug McDermott, a "Tier 3-level prospects", were on a par with the players taken at the tippy top of the 2013 draft.  Per Chad Ford himself:

In 2013, we put the top six players in the draft in Tier 3: Nerlens Noel, Anthony Bennett, Ben McLemore, Alex Len, Victor Oladipo and Otto Porter. That means that all nine guys listed in Tier 1 or Tier 2 would have been drafted ahead of the top six players in 2013.

Side note:  In 2015, only Karl Towns was listed as a Tier 1 player.  Followed by four players as "Tier 2 prospects", and guys like Willie Cauley Stein and Mario Hezonja as a "Tier 3". 

So yeah... Doug McDermott going 11th (a tier 3 player) in 2014 might be the equivalent of Buddy Hield going 7th in 2016.   We aren't sure at this point.   We can wait and see.  But if Hield is considered a Tier 3 player, that put him on a par with McDermott as a prospect.   Of course, that just reflects what Ford is relaying from scouts/experts.   There's still a chance Hield exceeds expectations.  There's also a chance he doesn't.

Draftexpress has Hield going 7th.
SI.com has Hield going 6th.
CBSSports has Hield going 6th.
nba.com has Hield going 5th.
foxsports has Hield going 6th.

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't be stunned if Ford's rankings come out (still a month from now) and he puts Buddy Hield in the 4th tier.  I still haven't seen a conclusive answer on whether or not this draft is any good.  Most articles about Boston trading the pick seem to be unanimous that Jahlil Okafor would be, at worst, the 3rd pick in this draft and Ford had him as a 2nd-tier prospect.   So there's a chance that guys in the 3-8 range would be Tier 3.  There's a chance it will be a mixture of Tier 3 and 4. 

Someone can feel free to give me some alternative evidence, but based on the information available to me, I'm guesstimating that scouts are seeing Hield as a Tier 3 prospect - which puts him on a par with how scouts/front offices saw McLemore, Stauskas and McDermott when they came out.

« Reply #229 on: May 24, 2016, 10:40:08 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
There were concerns about Dwayne Wades defense skills but I didn't see that stopping him from being an NBA star. I think this thought that everyone drafted has to be able to play defense or they won't become an NBA star is ridiculous. Carmelo Anthony sucks at defense, James Harden sucks at defense and Kobe Bryant wasnt the best defender but yet they were NBA superstars cause they scored points.

So your saying Kobe Bryant and his 5 championships were overrated ? 😂😂😂😂 yeah OK buddy nice try tho really 😂😂😂 👌👏👏👏👏

« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2016, 10:48:30 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown

10.  Elfrid Payton.
9.  Noah Vonleh.
8.  Nik Stauskus.
7.  Julius Randle.
6.  MARCUS SMART
5.  Dante Exum.
4.  Aaron Gordon.
3.  Joel Embiid.
2.  Jabari Parker.
1.  Andrew Wiggins.

Mike

Despite Mike's unacceptable behavior, I'll respond to the instigator's attempt at making a point.

Draftexpress has Hield going 7th.
SI.com has Hield going 6th.
CBSSports has Hield going 6th.
nba.com has Hield going 5th.
foxsports has Hield going 6th.

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't be stunned if Ford's rankings come out (still a month from now) and he puts Buddy Hield in the 4th tier.  I still haven't seen a conclusive answer on whether or not this draft is any good.  Most articles about Boston trading the pick seem to be unanimous that Jahlil Okafor would be, at worst, the 3rd pick in this draft and Ford had him as a 2nd-tier prospect.   So there's a chance that guys in the 3-8 range would be Tier 3.  There's a chance it will be a mixture of Tier 3 and 4. 

Someone can feel free to give me some alternative evidence, but based on the information available to me, I'm guesstimating that scouts are seeing Hield as a Tier 3 prospect - which puts him on a par with how scouts/front offices saw McLemore, Stauskas and McDermott when they came out.

No matter what tier you or anyone got him. He is one of those players with that (IT) factor. Like when them same scouts were talking about how Stephen Curry had limited athletic ability. U can ask them same scouts again how they thought Curry was limited and they will turn their heads n say they thought he was great all along . Danny won't draft Heild but I put my bottom dollar that Heilds a top 10 player in the NBA in 2-3 years. Whether its a role player or a starter the kids got leadership skills and he brings his guys around him up to his level. Those are things you don't see in stats and are the silent stat that I use to say, yah man, that kids got it. But let's just let time do the talking. I will bring this up again in a few years an we can revisit this

« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2016, 11:03:10 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

10.  Elfrid Payton.
9.  Noah Vonleh.
8.  Nik Stauskus.
7.  Julius Randle.
6.  MARCUS SMART
5.  Dante Exum.
4.  Aaron Gordon.
3.  Joel Embiid.
2.  Jabari Parker.
1.  Andrew Wiggins.

2014 was a three star draft.  That's what everyone said at the time.  That's what everyone thinks now, unless Embiid can't ever play and then they think of it as a two star draft.  Aaron Gordon was not a star.  Dante Exum was intriguing but not a star.  You've spent the last two years constantly whining about Marcus Smart.  Julius Randle was not a star.  Nik Stauskus was surely not a star.  Some of these guy may turn out to be very, very good, even great players but NO ONE thought the 2014 draft was "epic" that went 8 stars deep.

Mike

While I don't think the name calling was necessary here, this is an accurate post.

There were only three guys in the 2014/15 draft that were being considered as star prospects - Wiggins, Parker and Embiid.

That's it.

Everybody beyond those three guys were considered as being either (a) high risk or (b) low ceiling. 

2014/15 was IMHO one of the most overhyped draft classes in NBA history.  People were talking up that class as if it was going to be the best since 2003, and it turned out being one of the worst draft classes of the past decade. 

If you look at that draft class now, there really isn't a single guy in that class who looks like a future superstar or franchise player.  Wiggins is really the only guy who looks likely to become a perennial All-Star. Then you have Embiid and Lavine who look like they could become legit All-Stars if the 'stars align'.

Outside of that everybody else in that draft (Smart, Gordon, Parker, Exum, Payton, Lavine)

Danny called it too.  Before the draft he was saying that he didn't believe there was a franchise changer or an elite talent in the draft - good talents, but no elite ones.  So far he's been correct.

I think this draft class will surprass the 14/15 draft class without too much difficulty.  Simmons is about as close as it gets to a surfire star, and he has more upside then anybody fro the 2014 draft aside from maybe Embiid if he didn't lose his first two seasons.

« Reply #232 on: May 24, 2016, 11:42:27 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

So your saying Kobe Bryant and his 5 championships were overrated ? 😂😂😂😂 yeah OK buddy nice try tho really 😂😂😂 👌👏👏👏👏

He wasn't the best player on any of those 5 championship teams.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #233 on: May 24, 2016, 11:45:13 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27

Very true. When Kobe was a solo act without All-NBA teammates he lead the Lakers to the lottery or 8th seed in the West. Kobe is extremely overrated, has awful +/- stats and doesn't make teammates around him better.

« Reply #234 on: May 25, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

10.  Elfrid Payton.
9.  Noah Vonleh.
8.  Nik Stauskus.
7.  Julius Randle.
6.  MARCUS SMART
5.  Dante Exum.
4.  Aaron Gordon.
3.  Joel Embiid.
2.  Jabari Parker.
1.  Andrew Wiggins.

2014 was a three star draft.  That's what everyone said at the time.  That's what everyone thinks now, unless Embiid can't ever play and then they think of it as a two star draft.  Aaron Gordon was not a star.  Dante Exum was intriguing but not a star.  You've spent the last two years constantly whining about Marcus Smart.  Julius Randle was not a star.  Nik Stauskus was surely not a star.  Some of these guy may turn out to be very, very good, even great players but NO ONE thought the 2014 draft was "epic" that went 8 stars deep.

Mike

In LB's defense, I remember him saying that there were likely eight superstars in that draft well before it ever happened.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #235 on: May 25, 2016, 12:10:41 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

10.  Elfrid Payton.
9.  Noah Vonleh.
8.  Nik Stauskus.
7.  Julius Randle.
6.  MARCUS SMART
5.  Dante Exum.
4.  Aaron Gordon.
3.  Joel Embiid.
2.  Jabari Parker.
1.  Andrew Wiggins.

Mike

In LB's defense, I remember him saying that there were likely eight superstars in that draft well before it ever happened.

Looking back now, there may be one or two superstars that came out of that draft when its all said and done. Wiggins , and MAYBE Embiid if he doesnt fall apart.

« Reply #236 on: May 25, 2016, 12:13:29 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown

Really ? Then tell me who was ?

Kobe was the superstar point scorer and without his offense they never won 5 championships. Yeah I agree, he was a ball hog. And yes, he needed players around him to win them championships. Kobe was the reason those other players came to LA. Kobe attracted FA. And if your gonna sit here n tell me otherwise I have no other reason to talk basketball with you. This is ridiculous.

« Reply #237 on: May 25, 2016, 12:18:15 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown

Kobe was the superstar point scorer and without his offense they never won 5 championships. Yeah I agree, he was a ball hog. And yes, he needed players around him to win them championships. Kobe was the reason those other players came to LA. Kobe attracted FA. And if your gonna sit here n tell me otherwise I have no other reason to talk basketball with you. This is ridiculous.

Kobe won 3 rings with Shaq. Shaq signed with LA in free agency the year Kobe was drafted.

Kobe won 2 more rings with Gasol & pre-injury Bynum. Kupchak traded for Gasol and drafted Bynum.

Kobe didn't attract any marquee free agents aside from role players. Players didn't like being his teammate since he was inefficient, high usage and a volume shooter.

« Reply #238 on: May 25, 2016, 12:21:45 AM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown

Kobe won 3 rings with Shaq. Shaq signed with LA in free agency the year Kobe was drafted.

Kobe won 2 more rings with Gasol & pre-injury Bynum. Kupchak traded for Gasol and drafted Bynum.

Kobe didn't attract any marquee free agents aside from role players. Players didn't like being his teammate since he was inefficient, high usage and a volume shooter.

I remember Lakers signing Horry, Derek Fisher, Malone and Gary Payton 😂 keep trying with you bull crap 👍

« Reply #239 on: May 25, 2016, 12:23:39 AM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown

I remember Lakers signing Horry, Derek Fisher, Malone and Gary Payton 😂 keep trying with you bull crap 👍

1. Lakers drafted Fisher
2. Common theme with Horry, Malone & Payton is Shaq was there.