Author Topic: Key to Red Sox post season success...Justin Masterson??  (Read 2454 times)

Key to Red Sox post season success...Justin Masterson??
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:13:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
This kid just gets more and more impressive each time I see him.  The Sox already have 4 good to great starters (despite Dice-k's frustrating style and Beckett's nightmare of a start), a dominant closer, and one of the best and most balanced lineups in baseball.  All they were missing was that middle reliever to get them from the starters to Papelbon...and I think they have found him. 

Sure, it may seem like a no-brainer, but moving him to the Bullpen was the best move Francona has made all year. 

Re: Key to Red Sox post season success...Justin Masterson??
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 11:44:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
It's a little bit like Papelbon in `05.  Though Masterson has had a lot more innings this season than Paps did in `05, they both started out as starters then were converted to setup men for the stretch run.  Papelbon was perhaps the only Sox player who had a good series vs the White Sox in the playoffs that year.
Yup

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 11:51:20 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Kinda reminds me of Lowe in '99. 

Great to have a guy out there who can be close to lights out for a single inning or you can throw him out there for 4 innings to save the 'pen if the starting pitching implodes.  This guy seems to be that versatile type and he's definitely impressed me so far.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 02:38:57 AM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
I'm absolutely diggin' Masterson out of the pen for now...he's a dependable middle relief arm, not easy to come by these days.

As long as we keep Julio Lugo out of the lineup I'm growing more and more confident as the playoffs approach.

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 06:59:28 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
It's a little bit like Papelbon in `05.  Though Masterson has had a lot more innings this season than Paps did in `05, they both started out as starters then were converted to setup men for the stretch run.  Papelbon was perhaps the only Sox player who had a good series vs the White Sox in the playoffs that year.

I was begging for them to give Schillings playoff starts to Papelbon that year.

I've thought for months that their key to this season was going to be Sean Casey.  I said earlier in the season that they needed Casey to give both Papi and Youk a rest, since Papi was obviously hurt and since Youk tends to break down.  Well now the situation has worsened and Lowell is hurt (which might have been avoided had Casey gotten more playing time).  I just hope that the thing about Youk breaking down doesn't come through either.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.