Author Topic: don't resign manny thread  (Read 18440 times)

Re: don't resign manny thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »

Offline celticsmaniac

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 0
if you want the Red Sox to keep winning World Series than they have to keep Manny.

I'm personally very very sick and tired of all these [critics] trying to run Manny out of town. People hold manny to such a different standard than any other player and it's mostly coz of the way he looks. If a player without dreadlocks and baggy pants wants a day off because his knee is sore, everyone seems to be cool with it. but noooooooooooo not manny.

Most red sox fans know the sox NEED to keep manny. And make no mistake we are writing down the names of everyone who raises a fuss and tries to convince the sox ownerhship otherwise. If manny is traded, waived, suspended or cut we are going to come after you people and there will be hell to pay
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 02:14:50 PM by Roy Hobbs »

« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
if you want the Red Sox to keep winning World Series than they have to keep Manny.

I'm personally very very sick and tired of all these [critics] trying to run Manny out of town. People hold manny to such a different standard than any other player and it's mostly coz of the way he looks. If a player without dreadlocks and baggy pants wants a day off because his knee is sore, everyone seems to be cool with it. but noooooooooooo not manny.

Most red sox fans know the sox NEED to keep manny. And make no mistake we are writing down the names of everyone who raises a fuss and tries to convince the sox ownerhship otherwise. If manny is traded, waived, suspended or cut we are going to come after you people and there will be hell to pay

Err...  Manny pushed down an elderly team employee because he couldn't allocate enough tickets.  Most of the recent criticism stems from that.  How does that have anything to do with dreadlocks and baggy pants?

I like having Manny here, too, but let's not make him a victim. 

Also, what's with that "writing down the names", "come after you people" and "hell to pay" business?  Is that some sort of lame threat?  Take that nonsense elsewhere, please.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2008, 02:33:57 PM »

Offline houlana

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 21

guys, we need Manny to keep winning. did u guys forget that it was 86 yrs without a title. and now u want to get rid of one of the most important pieces for that success.
we all know Manny has his goofy ways, but thats just his personallity, and people should start to expect that from him and not act so shockd.
i met manny in the Lobby of a hotel during the playoffs and he hooked up my uncle, who was in town for a few days,  with game tickets.

he is a nice guy, excellent hitter, but he has his moments, and im sure after all these yrs his teamates are not surprised by what he does, and neither should we.

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2008, 02:51:11 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
It is great to see all the passion over Manny but I feel like everyone is overrating his contribution.  Manny is a big hitter but has been getting lighter as a hitter each of the last few years.  He is a liability in the field but gets by just fine as and makes an important contribution as long as there is none of this nonsense that he has been pulling lately.  No player is irreplaceable.  There will be life after Manny and with or without Manny, we will be contending for the World Series.  It is surprising that the suggestion is stirring such passion I am ready to bid fairwell to him and let the chips fall where they may.

« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2008, 03:15:43 PM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1819
His liability fielding is way overstated. He sometimes makes some moves that leave you scratching your head, but his frequency in making mistakes in the outfield is not as big as some make it out to be, especially in recent years when he has really cut off his errors.

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
It is great to see all the passion over Manny but I feel like everyone is overrating his contribution.  Manny is a big hitter but has been getting lighter as a hitter each of the last few years.  He is a liability in the field but gets by just fine as and makes an important contribution as long as there is none of this nonsense that he has been pulling lately.  No player is irreplaceable.  There will be life after Manny and with or without Manny, we will be contending for the World Series.  It is surprising that the suggestion is stirring such passion I am ready to bid fairwell to him and let the chips fall where they may.

While I agree that no player is irreplaceable, I think it would be very hard to find a match for Manny's offensive contributions.  He has an  OPS of .932, which puts him fifth in the American league.  He's fourth in on-base percentage, and also in the top-ten in slugging percentage, home runs,  and RBIs.  Despite having an off-year in terms of batting average, he's still ranked 15th in that category, and he's top-15 in walks, as well.

Which outfielder are we going to find that comes even close to that level of production? 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2008, 07:12:07 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I agree as well saying no one is irreplaceable, but I don't see anyone that we could get to replace Manny right now or in the off-season.  Jason Bay?  Matt Holliday?  Not sure those two guys are going to do it.
do it

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2008, 08:46:19 PM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
I'm hot and cold with Manny, just as he is with his performances and attitude.  Today I'm sick of him, want him and his shenanigans gone.  If he hits a walk off homer tomorrow night I'll be back in love with him.  That's just how I've always been with him.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2008, 03:39:12 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
I agree as well saying no one is irreplaceable, but I don't see anyone that we could get to replace Manny right now or in the off-season.  Jason Bay?  Matt Holliday?  Not sure those two guys are going to do it.

I wouldn't mind seeing Holliday in a 'Sox uniform, road splits be [dang]ed. The probelem is the cost. Manny just costs money, while Holliday would probably cost us 2 of Buchholz/ Bowden/ Lars/ Masterson. On top of that, I'm not even convinced that he's available.

Tito and Theo's unwillingness to refute allegations that things have come to a boiling point is troublesome for me. Also, I haven't heard anyone have his back in the clubhouse like in years past.

A little OT, but there's nothing quite like listening to Tim McCarver politely rip on Manny for about 2 hours straight. I get it Tim; you find him to be a disgusting piece of trash but are just too classy to come out and say it. Did you guys know that the term "Knuckle Ball" is a misnomer?

I don't like McCarver, but I like him more than the idea of both Crisp and Ellsbury in the lineup every single day because the FO wants to teach someone a lesson.

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2008, 03:50:10 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

I wouldn't mind seeing Holliday in a 'Sox uniform, road splits be [dang]ed. The probelem is the cost. Manny just costs money, while Holliday would probably cost us 2 of Buchholz/ Bowden/ Lars/ Masterson. On top of that, I'm not even convinced that he's available.

Tito and Theo's unwillingness to refute allegations that things have come to a boiling point is troublesome for me. Also, I haven't heard anyone have his back in the clubhouse like in years past.

A little OT, but there's nothing quite like listening to Tim McCarver politely rip on Manny for about 2 hours straight. I get it Tim; you find him to be a disgusting piece of trash but are just too classy to come out and say it. Did you guys know that the term "Knuckle Ball" is a misnomer?

I don't like McCarver, but I like him more than the idea of both Crisp and Ellsbury in the lineup every single day because the FO wants to teach someone a lesson.

holliday is so horrid power wise away from colorado though....

I say hold manny's option till you see how the FA market shakes out. Though the problem is, in this years crop, the only thing close to a replacment power hitter is texaria, and he plays 1st with gold glove skills. So, who's breaching that subject to him and youk?

"hey guys, i know your both fantastic 1st basemen, and pride yourselves on it but....whow ants to play of? eh? eh?"
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I'd be ****ed if a lowly secretary couldn't do a simple task like his own job. I would probably be so upset about it I would have to push him to the ground, then yell at him.

Yup, that's how I would handle that situation.

« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2008, 04:15:32 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

I say hold manny's option till you see how the FA market shakes out. Though the problem is, in this years crop, the only thing close to a replacment power hitter is texaria, and he plays 1st with gold glove skills. So, who's breaching that subject to him and youk?

I think they have to decide by November 9th on Manny's option, though.

I really can't see Teixeira, Youk, and Lowell all coexisting on the same team. Youk would probably be traded for an OF. I don't know what to make of it.

« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2008, 06:00:01 AM »

Offline cmburrill

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
 What...trade....you guys are nuts. He stays regardless for the rest of the season. They have dibs for next year. Trade him??? For what? There is no way. Quote me...not going to happen this year.

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2008, 11:49:58 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3768
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2008, 11:55:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Gammons insights on Manny.  Well worth the read.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3508405&name=gammons_peter

What's with the vitriol from Gammons?  He doesn't think Manny has been worth his contract?  He's put up huge numbers and has delivered two titles.  I'd say that worked out okay for the team.