Author Topic: Something wrong with Papelbon?  (Read 2454 times)

Something wrong with Papelbon?
« on: June 22, 2008, 07:25:00 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Papelbon last year into the beginning of this was the best closer in baseball.  He was a strikeout machine who didn't give up alot of hits or walks.  He was virtually a gimmee when we had a 3 run lead or less in the ninth.  You said to yourself "game over".

Not so much anymore.

The guy already has 4 blown saves before the allstar break.  Anyone think there's anything wrong with him?  Is there any chance he loses that closers spot for awhile?  If that happens Delcarmen will probably take it over cause he's been awesome lately.  It definately won't go to Okajima, cause lets face it...the mystique on Hideki Okajima is over.  Batters are no longer fooled by his delivery and they have "figured him out".

Let's hope Papelbon can get back on track.  It used to be that we need to worry about the bridge to Papelbon.  Lets not start to worry about Papelbon too.

Re: Something wrong with Papelbon?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:36:48 PM »

Offline jbj5

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I'm not worried. Closers blow saves every once in a while, even when you're pitching well.
Even after today's outing he's allowed 30 baserunners in 33 1/3 innings. With five walks compared to 43(!) strikeouts.
He'll be fine...it's the rotation that concerns me

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008, 07:41:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have no worries about Papelbon.  He's got plenty of unused credit too go through before I feel he's hurting the team.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008, 08:00:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Manny Delcarmen is a friend of the family and he let my brother in law in on some inside info as to why Papelbon has let up a couple of saves this year, maybe even the reason for today's blow save.

My brother in law told me that Manny told him that Papelbon is human and not a machine. I was shocked!!!