Author Topic: Mike Gorman Day  (Read 3826 times)

Re: Mike Gorman Day
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2024, 09:57:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I've lived in Ohio and Michigan my whole life and have always watched the C's via the Big Dish or DirecTV or now, over the internet.  I have been blessed to have listened/watched Cous, Tommy and Mike. 

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2024, 02:04:02 PM »

Offline otherdave

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 124
  • takes.....MAKES!!!!
We have all been blessed that's for sure................and yet it was time (more and more simple mistakes, regular slurring of words/phrases).

I am excited for Drew and Scal.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2024, 06:59:32 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
We have all been blessed that's for sure................and yet it was time (more and more simple mistakes, regular slurring of words/phrases).

I am excited for Drew and Scal.

While I agree it was time for Mike to retire, I’m not a fan of this Drew guy. I really don’t understand why they couldn’t get someone better and who had connections with the Celtics. I actually liked Scal at the beginning, when he shared some insight as a former player. Now he’s like Tommy lite. A homer just yelling at bad calls.

Also, I believe a person of color would be a good idea on the broadcast team. Just sayin.

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2024, 10:15:50 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1574
I remember his entire career. His interplay with Tommy was priceless.

I always called them our local version of Madden/Summerall

tommy/mike TV goats

johnny most radio GOAT

i listened to maxwell on radio for todays game and he is not bad.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 09:59:20 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1620
  • What a Pub Should Be

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 10:00:28 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2440
I was at the garden tonight- they made an announcement for Mike before Gino time, it was awesome. Let’s win it for him this year!
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 10:02:42 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1241
I remember his entire career. His interplay with Tommy was priceless.

I always called them our local version of Madden/Summerall

tommy/mike TV goats

johnny most radio GOAT

i listened to maxwell on radio for todays game and he is not bad.

He’d actually be a good candidate to take over Mike’s home games?

« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 10:09:31 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 745
I was at the garden tonight- they made an announcement for Mike before Gino time, it was awesome. Let’s win it for him this year!
It would be great. Mike deserves it, for sure.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: Today at 12:29:38 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1380
Thank you Mike! You've been the constant in my Celtics fandom, you were the caller when I started watching as a little kid and you've been there through coaches, players, rebuilds...your voice was always my companion on those winter nights and your voice helped to create all those indelible memories of Celtics joy and heartbreak. You will be missed!

I'll admit I got a bit teary eyed when it came time for your goodbye  :'( we were privileged to have you for as long as we did.

https://x.com/NBCSCeltics/status/1785852517802181003
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #24 on: Today at 01:26:40 AM »

Online GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I’ll always associate Mike and Tommy with my Celtic fanhood.

Early 2000’s, Pierce made me a fan. Living in NYC, I only got to watch him on national television, and against the Knicks and Nets. In 2004, I finally bought the League Pass and got indoctrinated by Mike and Tommy every home game. I was genuinely disappointed when I had to listen to the other team’s broadcast.

I’ve probably watched over 95% of the C’s games since the 2004 season and Mike and Tommy almost feel like uncles to me or something, as weird as that sounds (hearing them a few hours a week is more than I do most of my relatives lol). I can’t imagine how older fans feel hearing Mike call games over the last 40+ years, especially with those great 80’s teams.

I’ve missed Tommy since he stopped doing road games. But having Mike made that transition easier. Now it’s truly the end of an era.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #25 on: Today at 07:30:07 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 977
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I’ll always associate Mike and Tommy with my Celtic fanhood.

Early 2000’s, Pierce made me a fan. Living in NYC, I only got to watch him on national television, and against the Knicks and Nets. In 2004, I finally bought the League Pass and got indoctrinated by Mike and Tommy every home game. I was genuinely disappointed when I had to listen to the other team’s broadcast.

I’ve probably watched over 95% of the C’s games since the 2004 season and Mike and Tommy almost feel like uncles to me or something, as weird as that sounds (hearing them a few hours a week is more than I do most of my relatives lol). I can’t imagine how older fans feel hearing Mike call games over the last 40+ years, especially with those great 80’s teams.

I’ve missed Tommy since he stopped doing road games. But having Mike made that transition easier. Now it’s truly the end of an era.
Great post, and I shows me you CAN imagine what it's like for an older fan like me. I remember when Mike got started with those early 80's teams with Larry Bird, Cedric Maxwell etc. 81 and 84 were great championship teams along with the greatest team, 1986. Mike invented "GOT IT!" during that time and it stuck.

We will all be looking for Mike in a VIP seats for the rest of this playoff run. Take it easy, Mike, have a beer, sit back and enjoy your retirement, you deserve it!

« Reply #26 on: Today at 09:36:45 AM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
a lot of time spent "with" mike over the years. but what always stood out to me was the beginning of a new season, after having not seen them for a summer, turning on the game excited about the new year of celtics basketball and being greeted by those lifelong friends, mike and tommy. congrats on a legendary career, mike, and thank you for being a friend.

« Reply #27 on: Today at 09:57:35 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1620
  • What a Pub Should Be
Growing up in the Boston area in the 80s/90s, it was an embarrassment of riches on the local TV/radio front.  Now almost all the old guard is all gone

Celtics - Gorman/Heinsohn plus you had Gil/Cousy and then Heinsohn/Cousy on 56/38.   Johnny & Ordway on radio
Pats - Gil & Geno
Bruins- Cusick & the Turk then Jack & Brickley
Sox -  Castiglione.  McDonough then Orsillo and Remy

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #28 on: Today at 11:43:39 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
I'm going to miss him. Really glad I was there last night to join in the ovation and yell out 'Thank you Mike'.
He was kind of like the basketball version of Pat Sumerrall - proof that understated, especially with a personality type color guy, works well. He and Scal have become a solid duo. Mike was able to develop the same continuity with Scal that he had with Tommy.

If Drew Carter wants to last here, he'd do well to tone down the 'announcer' persona.  If you watch every game, it gets grating after awhile.

« Reply #29 on: Today at 12:38:51 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
 I’m not a rah rah Boston guy. I just love the Celtics. But it means something that Mike was rooting for this team his whole life. It will never ever be the same. I hope more former Celtics pop up more and more. Mike is a huge connection to so many people’s pasts. Will miss him Bigtime.