Author Topic: Tatum - The Good and Bad Against Washington  (Read 3286 times)

Re: Tatum - The Good and Bad Against Washington
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 06:22:56 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I'm not complaining one bit ...Im stoked...pretty amazing for a guy so young .   He is getting a super headstart at Boston , he gets to learn and unlike other clubs .....he gets to,learn the RIGHT way to play while he learns.

By next sason Tatum will be playing like he has been in the league 5 years. 

Next year should really be fun with Hayward , Tatum and Brown

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 09:22:23 PM »

Offline Wretch

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
I'm not complaining one bit ...Im stoked...pretty amazing for a guy so young .   He is getting a super headstart at Boston , he gets to learn and unlike other clubs .....he gets to,learn the RIGHT way to play while he learns.

By next sason Tatum will be playing like he has been in the league 5 years. 

Next year should really be fun with Hayward , Tatum and Brown
Kyrie and Al getting traded? 😀 That is a scary core.

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 09:22:29 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I'm a little concerned at how many times he is blocked when he is trying to create for himself. However, I think with more reps in figuring out his spots and increased core strength and athleticism that issue will take care of itself.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 10:03:36 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I'm a little concerned at how many times he is blocked when he is trying to create for himself. However, I think with more reps in figuring out his spots and increased core strength and athleticism that issue will take care of itself.
It's equal parts strength and a total inability to protect the ball when going to the hole.

Luckily, those things are exactly the type of thing you expect to improve with time. By this time next year I don't expect it to be a problem at all.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2018, 08:01:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
It's equal parts strength and a total inability to protect the ball when going to the hole.

Luckily, those things are exactly the type of thing you expect to improve with time. By this time next year I don't expect it to be a problem at all.
That's a bit of hyperbole.  Tatum generally does a good job at protecting the ball on his drives using his long arms to keep it away or cupping it tight to his body when needed.  However, he's a rookie and hasn't perfected these skills yet.

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:24 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Last night we got a glimpse of what Tatum would have been like playing top scoring option for a bad lottery team for his whole rookie season.

High volume, low efficiency, tantalizing potential.

Tatum is such an elusive, graceful, composed offensive player.  He'll need to get to the line more often once he takes on a larger offensive role.  But that will be easier once he builds up his strength to match his frame.

That finger roll put back a couple games ago  :-* :o :-*
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2018, 09:28:58 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

That's a bit of hyperbole.  Tatum generally does a good job at protecting the ball on his drives using his long arms to keep it away or cupping it tight to his body when needed.  However, he's a rookie and hasn't perfected these skills yet.
I don't think it's hyperbole. He is really bad at it.
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2018, 09:36:08 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Jayson Tatum is 350th in the NBA in turnovers per 36 minutes at 1.5 per 36.

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2018, 09:36:51 AM »

Offline KGBirdBias

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 125
Tatum will learn that those finger rolls aren't going to work. By next year he'll put on weight and instead of jumping off one foot, he'll be jumping off two feet and those will be dunks. He's just not strong enough yet.

I liked his aggressiveness and look forward to seeing more of it while everyone is down.

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2018, 09:54:14 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson

Most of them go in the books as blocked shots or simple misses.

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 10:28:22 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Most of them are blocked shots, not strips when he is going up.

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 10:45:48 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261

Most of them are blocked shots, not strips when he is going up.

He leads the team in shots blocked, with 56.  The other two guys who go to the hoop a lot (measured by shooting fouls drawn and and one's) are Brown and Irving.   They have 47 and 46 shots blocked respectively.  So Tatum gets his shot blocked more, but it's not that much more than those other guys.   I agree that he'll get better as he adds some strength.  Could be a monster next year.

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Labrd333:
Had Tatum been drafted by a typical bottomfeeder team, these are the types of stats I'd expect him to put up. He's a 19/20 year old rookie with clear gifts. On a bad team, he'd be less efficient, but he'd be putting up more stats. Tonight was a perfect example of that.

Tonight in the close loss he had 19 points, 6 assists and 5 rebounds with 9-23 shooting (39%).

I've said it before, but Tatum genuinely reminds me a lot rookie Kevin Durant. As a rookie, Durant averaged 20.3 points, 4.4 rebounds and 2.4 assists, but he wasn't efficient. He took 17 field goal attempts per game for a bottomfeeder Seattle team. He only shot 43% for the season and 29% from three. There were plenty of games during that 20 win season that Durant put up total clunkers... 7-22 against Denver, 7-21 against Utah, 7-20 against Detroit, 7-22 against the Hornets, 7-21 against Washington, 6-23 against the Lakers, 7-21 against Atlanta, 7-21 against the Knicks, 2-17 against Houston, etc.

I'm sure Tatum's overall efficiency this season (crazy 47%/43%/83% shooting) is impacted by playing on a quality team in a limited role where he takes less than 10 shots per game. But no doubt, if the guy was playing on a bad team he'd be getting more shot attempts. Just like Durant, he'd have some good games and some bad games with some overall rough efficiency, but the kid would come close to averaging 20 per game.

Personally, I loved seeing Tatum get a bunch of attempts tonight even though we came up short. He needs these kind of reps. These are the kind of reps he can't get when everyone on this team is healthy. The outcome wasn't great, but it's a great learning experience. Kid has a chance to be really special.

I attached the link below, but it's good to see LarBrd33 is still alive and well. There are also some engaging and interesting statistics compared for previous player comparisons.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bostonceltics/comments/84k9a2/tonight_was_a_nice_example_of_what_tatum_would/#bottom-comments
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2018, 08:43:30 PM »

Offline flybono

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 48
With no Kyrie, Horford, Brown, or Smart (or Hayward), last night Jayson Tatum was thrown into the deep end. How'd he do?

He was aggressive. He took a team high 23 shots, which I liked. He made only 9 of those shots and was 0-2 from 3, which is not good. More crucially, for this game, he went 1-3 from the FT line. Tatum is an 82% FT shooter on the season and if he had gone 2-3 from the line last night, the C's would've won the game. We've seen Tatum make clutch plays in the past so I'm not worried about the sky falling. Heck, the second FT he missed came after a clutch drive to the basket and finish through Gortat's foul. So there's only so hard I can complain.

6 assists and 2 turnovers. Only Rozier finished with more assists last night. Tatum had not done much playmaking for others this season, which I've attributed to his place in the offense and finding his way as a rookie. This game was heartening from that respect as he took on the challenge and was able to find teammates last night.

I wasn't blown away by the performance but I think he did a lot of good things and I'm encouraged. I'd be more encouraged if he had hit his FT's but we can't have everything.

The Kid is 20 years old for god sakes!

Get this through your blown away head and everybody else's, "There was and is only one Jordan"

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2018, 05:07:06 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
With no Kyrie, Horford, Brown, or Smart (or Hayward), last night Jayson Tatum was thrown into the deep end. How'd he do?

He was aggressive. He took a team high 23 shots, which I liked. He made only 9 of those shots and was 0-2 from 3, which is not good. More crucially, for this game, he went 1-3 from the FT line. Tatum is an 82% FT shooter on the season and if he had gone 2-3 from the line last night, the C's would've won the game. We've seen Tatum make clutch plays in the past so I'm not worried about the sky falling. Heck, the second FT he missed came after a clutch drive to the basket and finish through Gortat's foul. So there's only so hard I can complain.

6 assists and 2 turnovers. Only Rozier finished with more assists last night. Tatum had not done much playmaking for others this season, which I've attributed to his place in the offense and finding his way as a rookie. This game was heartening from that respect as he took on the challenge and was able to find teammates last night.

I wasn't blown away by the performance but I think he did a lot of good things and I'm encouraged. I'd be more encouraged if he had hit his FT's but we can't have everything.

The Kid is 20 years old for god sakes!

Get this through your blown away head and everybody else's, "There was and is only one Jordan"

Um... what?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008