Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 41795 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2024, 09:48:35 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Tyron Smith to the Jets.

Still have 60M in cap space and needs at QB, WR and OT while most of them have already been scooped up.

Wonderful!
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2024, 11:47:06 AM »

Online jpd985

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 41
Tyron Smith to the Jets.

Still have 60M in cap space and needs at QB, WR and OT while most of them have already been scooped up.

Wonderful!

It seems they are punting to next year’s free agency.

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2024, 12:40:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1454
Tyron Smith to the Jets.

Wonderful!

But I thought Bill controlled the spending?! That’s what Bob had always said.  :laugh:

The Patriots are starting to feel like the Red Sox.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 12:46:14 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2024, 12:58:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Tyron Smith to the Jets.

Wonderful!

But I thought Bill controlled the spending?! That’s what Bob had always said.  :laugh:

The Patriots are starting to feel like the Red Sox.

Yeah it's starting to look like Kraft is the problem. Brady covered a ton and even Belichick to an extent took a lot of the heat from reporters/fans when it came to lack of spending and such. Now Belichick is gone and I doubt anyone is gonna blame the new guys for lack of spending. It's Kraft.

And before anyone tells me they are rebuilding so it's not wise to spend, they've practically been rebuilding since 2019... and if not now, when the hell are they spending the money? They still have needs at arguably the 3 most important positions in all of football (QB, WR, OT). Even assuming they pick a QB at #3, how certain is it that they'll nail the 2nd round pick (WR/OT), and there's still another spot to fill.

Whether it's a rookie QB or Brissett, they are still gonna struggle with no weapons, poor O-Line and a mediocre roster. I liked a lot of the guys they bought back but they haven't really made any external impact moves. And now their options are seriously dwindling.

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2024, 01:22:19 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1008
Maybe Kraft's eyes burned when Belichick paid for guys like Nelson Aghalor or Jonnu Smith back then and he said NO MORE  ;D

But yeah, this is a problem. And it's a Robert Kraft problem

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2024, 01:41:05 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1623
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats should get these Barmore & Duggar deals done next.  That'll eat up some of the space and they're going to need to allocate $8-9M for the incoming rookie class.  They should still have plenty of cap to burn but not sure what direction they're gonna go after this initial FA flurry.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2024, 05:42:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
The Patriots in 2024-2025!

« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2024, 10:36:30 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
Maybe Kraft's eyes burned when Belichick paid for guys like Nelson Aghalor or Jonnu Smith back then and he said NO MORE  ;D

But yeah, this is a problem. And it's a Robert Kraft problem

It is a business after all and Bill did basically light his money on fire that Spring. Kraft has said several times over the last few years that he believes the team needs to be built through the draft. This is why I’m not surprised that they didn’t make any big splashes in free agency. Hopefully Wolf hits on a few players on offense in this years draft and they can get off to a good start with the rebuild.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 10:57:18 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #128 on: March 17, 2024, 04:36:32 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Pats signing WR K.J. Osborne.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #129 on: March 17, 2024, 05:03:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

We still need a legit WR, but I like the move. Osborn has been a consistent 2nd or 3rd option for MIN over the last 3 years behind Jefferson and briefly Thielen, and he's been pretty good. I'd make the case he's already our 3rd best WR behind Douglas and Bourne. Ideally you draft a WR in the 2nd or 3rd round and then kick someone like Thornton or JuJu out (or have them as like the 5th option).

Reagor I look at more as a special teams guy (returner) so I don't really count him as a true WR. He was good in that role late last season.

I'm still holding out the dream scenario that we pick Maye with #3, trade our 2nd rounder + a 2025 3rd for Higgins or Aiyuk, and then use our 2024 3rd rounder on an OT. That right there fills all our needs and besides the WR you pretty much aren't burning too much cash or cap space otherwise. But I think it's more likely they take QB at #3, then use #34 on an OT.

« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2024, 06:58:09 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
Some takes we hopefully have retired this offseason

Mac was some decent level talent that bill belichek ruined. The entire league views Mac as a medium to low level backup and he was traded for a 6th round pick. Even a guy like darnold got much more trade compensation after flaming out with the jets.

Bill was just a disaster that was cheap/terrible and Kraft let him do
Whatever he wanted. We clearly see this was not the case with bill gone.

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2024, 07:24:32 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Mac was some decent level talent that bill belichek ruined. The entire league views Mac as a medium to low level backup and he was traded for a 6th round pick. Even a guy like darnold got much more trade compensation after flaming out with the jets.

I still think Belichick's time was done in New England regardless and he absolutely did not help matters with certain things like the Patricia + Judge fiasco. But yeah, Kraft is looking a lot worse and now he doesn't have Belichick to hide behind. I wonder if now he has his son (Jonathan) more involved in operations to also take the bullets going forward.

« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2024, 07:31:48 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Did you miss Mac’s entire rookie season? He was a decent prospect. Bill did ruin him. I think it’s fair to say that if the Pats traded him after his rookie year when he made the pro-bowl that NE nets a bit more than a 6th rounder.

Was Mac bad the last two season? Yes. Was he put in terrible situation by the coach/GM? Yes. No QB would have succeeded in that environment.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 08:17:58 PM by Goldstar88 »

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2024, 09:47:53 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

1 year, $4M. Kraft is bargain hunting!  :laugh:

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2024, 10:53:55 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395

Did you miss Mac’s entire rookie season? He was a decent prospect. Bill did ruin him. I think it’s fair to say that if the Pats traded him after his rookie year when he made the pro-bowl that NE nets a bit more than a 6th rounder.

Was Mac bad the last two season? Yes. Was he put in terrible situation by the coach/GM? Yes. No QB would have succeeded in that environment.

This is a very strange. He was literally just traded for a 6th round pick. Every gm in the league saw him, at 25, a few years older than Jayden Daniels’s a year and an half older than Bo nix. They all decided this guy was low end backup. He didn’t have physical tools, game footage or mental makeup that any team in the entire league viewed him as even a good backup .everyone in the league has proven they agree with bills assessment of him…. If bill did something terrible to him some team would at least take a flier on him coming in competing for a job like they did with a player like darnold in the past.heck even Josh Rosen got a higher pick when the cards dumped him….
« Last Edit: March 17, 2024, 11:01:28 PM by celticsclay »