Poll

Tatum + Memphis pick for JJJ. Would you do it?

Yes
8 (15.7%)
No
32 (62.7%)
I'd only do it straight up. Offering Tatum on his own should get it done.
11 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: Idea: Jaren Jackson Jr.  (Read 8812 times)

Re: Idea: Jaren Jackson Jr.
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2019, 05:06:05 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Count me in the minority of people that think JJJ has a fairly low ceiling. I mainly see him as a pretty good starter. At best, he looks like a young Ibaka to me.

His rebounding numbers at MSU and in Memphis have not been good. His block rate is a bit lower than I thought would be. His offensive game is not refined. He has little feel. He's a good shooter and can sometimes get a little hookshot over his left shoulder, but other than that, he really isn't a scorer. On top of that, his form restricts his ability to develop one-dribble pullups, fade aways, or any of the other shots that make a guy hard to stop.

He's fine. Really. But this isn't a trade that makes a ton of sense for anyone.
For a guy who goes by the nickname ''DefenseWinsChamps'', you don't seem to value elite defensive potential all that much. :P

The way I see it, JJJ is the best young* big man not named Zion.

*still on his first contract

If there was a re-draft of last year's class, I'd probably take him at #2.

1. Luka
2. JJJ
3. probably SGA

I'm super high on all 3 of those guys. Looking back, I guess we were a bit unlucky to end up with #3 and #1 in somehow weak drafts. Don't get me wrong, Danny did a terrific job in drafting Brown-Tatum (especially the trade down for Tatum was a masterpiece). I blame the draft gods, not Danny.

In retrospect, the 2018 draft looks great. There are also guys like Ayton, Trae Young, Bagley, Carter Jr., even Mo Bamba who had a slow start but the potential is still there based on his elite physical tools.

I'd say Markkanen and John Collins are ahead of Jackson.  Both averaged 19 and 9 in their 2nd season.  Collins is super athletic and a workhorse.  Lauri has one of the most unique skills sets for a 7 ft'er I've seen.

There are a lot of good young bigs out there right now.  I'm not sure Jackson is going to be the best of the bunch.

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2019, 05:19:03 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Count me in the minority of people that think JJJ has a fairly low ceiling. I mainly see him as a pretty good starter. At best, he looks like a young Ibaka to me.

His rebounding numbers at MSU and in Memphis have not been good. His block rate is a bit lower than I thought would be. His offensive game is not refined. He has little feel. He's a good shooter and can sometimes get a little hookshot over his left shoulder, but other than that, he really isn't a scorer. On top of that, his form restricts his ability to develop one-dribble pullups, fade aways, or any of the other shots that make a guy hard to stop.

For a guy who goes by the nickname ''DefenseWinsChamps'', you don't seem to value elite defensive potential all that much. :P

1. Luka
2. JJJ
3. probably SGA

I'm super high on all 3 of those guys. Looking back, I guess we were a bit unlucky to end up with #3 and #1 in somehow weak drafts. Don't get me wrong, Danny did a terrific job in drafting Brown-Tatum (especially the trade down for Tatum was a masterpiece). I blame the draft gods, not Danny.

In retrospect, the 2018 draft looks great. There are also guys like Ayton, Trae Young, Bagley, Carter Jr., even Mo Bamba who had a slow start but the potential is still there based on his elite physical tools.

I'd say Markkanen and John Collins are ahead of Jackson.  Both averaged 19 and 9 in their 2nd season.  Collins is super athletic and a workhorse.  Lauri has one of the most unique skills sets for a 7 ft'er I've seen.

There are a lot of good young bigs out there right now.  I'm not sure Jackson is going to be the best of the bunch.
Thing is, JJJ is a 2-way player, whereas Markkanen and Collins only excel on the offensive side of the ball.

« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2019, 05:21:17 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

1. Luka
2. JJJ
3. probably SGA

I do value defense, but I'm not as high on his defensive potential as some. His fouls are a real problem and he doesn't rebound at a high level. Good defensive anchors can challenge without fouling and finish possessions on the boards.

He's a good player, but I don't see the franchise upside. I think he will be a really good defender and a very helpful player. He could even be a player on a championship team. I just worry a bit about him.

After all was said and done, having only watched a little of both players last year, I actually liked Ayton's upside on defense more than Jackson's. I know that goes contrary to the narrative of both players, and it was surprising to me as I watched them. I like Jarrett Allen's and Wendell Carter's defensive potential more too.

« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2019, 05:30:36 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

1. Luka
2. JJJ
3. probably SGA

I do value defense, but I'm not as high on his defensive potential as some. His fouls are a real problem and he doesn't rebound at a high level. Good defensive anchors can challenge without fouling and finish possessions on the boards.

He's a good player, but I don't see the franchise upside. I think he will be a really good defender and a very helpful player. He could even be a player on a championship team. I just worry a bit about him.

After all was said and done, having only watched a little of both players last year, I actually liked Ayton's upside on defense more than Jackson's. I know that goes contrary to the narrative of both players, and it was surprising to me as I watched them. I like Jarrett Allen's and Wendell Carter's defensive potential more too.
Fair enough. We agree to disagree. :) At the end of the day, no one can be sure about these things. I guess time will tell.