Author Topic: "Big Game James"  (Read 8785 times)

Re: "Big Game James"
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2008, 10:12:49 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I demand that you stop calling James Posey, "Big Game James." Big Game James was the nickname of James Worthy, and the naming of a Celtic after a former Laker causes me to grimace.

As I said around the time when I first used it in the Daily Babble around here, he wasn't the first James to bestowed the "Big Game" title, and I can't imagine he'll be the last.  But in my book, his performance this year certainly was good enough to allow those of us who enjoy doing so to occasionally refer to him with the standard 'cutesy rhyming title' as a mark of homage.  So while I'll wish you the best with the grimacing, I'm afraid I may not be able to acquiesce to the demand made here.

-sw 

Cmon Steve, don't take credit for the nickname.  I know of at least one person (me) that used it on here before you did (although I'll concede you popularized it with your front-page posts and the fact that people actually listen to you).

To the OP - Posey gave himself the nickname as far as I understand it.  So we can stop calling him it, especially if he doesn't resign
God bless and good night!

« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2008, 10:20:48 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
What about Slightly Overrated James?

;)

(I kid, I kid.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2008, 11:18:36 AM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason

;)

(I kid, I kid.)

You're talking about LeBrick now? :)
God bless and good night!

« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2008, 11:22:46 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I demand that you stop calling James Posey, "Big Game James." Big Game James was the nickname of James Worthy, and the naming of a Celtic after a former Laker causes me to grimace.

As I said around the time when I first used it in the Daily Babble around here, he wasn't the first James to bestowed the "Big Game" title, and I can't imagine he'll be the last.  But in my book, his performance this year certainly was good enough to allow those of us who enjoy doing so to occasionally refer to him with the standard 'cutesy rhyming title' as a mark of homage.  So while I'll wish you the best with the grimacing, I'm afraid I may not be able to acquiesce to the demand made here.

-sw 

Cmon Steve, don't take credit for the nickname.  I know of at least one person (me) that used it on here before you did (although I'll concede you popularized it with your front-page posts and the fact that people actually listen to you).

To the OP - Posey gave himself the nickname as far as I understand it.  So we can stop calling him it, especially if he doesn't resign

Ah, Brick...my apologies for overlooking your prior use of it -- I had not realized that....I can assure you it was not intentional...thanks for clarifying....

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice

That's what I've always called that Lakers guy. Never understood why people were calling him Posey's nickname.

« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2008, 11:33:10 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

-sw 

Ah, Brick...my apologies for overlooking your prior use of it -- I had not realized that....I can assure you it was not intentional...thanks for clarifying....

-sw

it was in the Celtics media guide and his NBA player profile, so obviously BGJ has been using it long before us
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2008, 11:35:21 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
Big Cash James. That's all I can say.

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2008, 12:33:23 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego

-sw 

-sw

it was in the Celtics media guide and his NBA player profile, so obviously BGJ has been using it long before us

That too.  TP for putting us glory hogs in place, cdif  :)

-sw

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 12:42:54 PM »

Offline bigtyc55

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 5
ya i say pose as well, but it is spelt Poz, just as his tattoo on his arm says, but the "o" in poz is astually a basketball or hoop or something

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I demand that you stop calling James Posey, "Big Game James."

umm, ... no
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • My alter ego
I demand that you stop calling James Posey, "Big Game James."

umm, ... no

Yeah, that would have been a lot easier than my long-winded explanation.  Amen.

-sw