Author Topic: Is making all-star in east all of a sudden.... tough  (Read 8606 times)

Is making all-star in east all of a sudden.... tough
« on: November 06, 2019, 12:19:17 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

Obviously this is early, but figured I would throw it out there just for fun and discussion.

Last year some guys having pretty good years made it like Vucuvic and Russell, but to start the season some guys are putting up incredible numbers. 4 of the 5 guys that were starters last year are probably locks to make it again this year. While some guys that missed it last year for injury or trade (Butler, Love) may make it back. Then some other guys seem to have taken some huge leaps (Drummonds numbers are insane, Trey Young looks to have taken a crazy leap, Siakim). Seems like some guys putting up really great numbers may miss out. What do you all think? Does anyone have any dark horse contenders?

Locks or Near locks with good health

Embid
Giannis
Irving
Walker
Beal

Serious Contenders
Lowry (Averaging 25-8!)
Kevin Love (Averaging 19-5)
Butler (Bit of a slow star, but best player on a seemingly good team, think he will make it)
Drummond (Averaging 20-20!)
Trey Young (averaging 29 and 8.5 for surprisingly good hawks team)
Brodgon (averaging 24 and 9
Siakem (26 and 8.5)
Tatum (21.5 and 7.5)
Tobias Harris (20 and 9, 50% from field)
Hayward (20 and 7 and 4.5 with incredible shooting splits)
Sabonis (22-11)

Possible guys that return from Injuries
Oladipo
Griffin

Re: Is making all-star in east all of a sudden.... tough
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 01:05:39 PM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
We can’t forget, the All Star game is still a popularity contest, and being picked as a starter may come down to friendships depending on who is selected as conference captain.

Players missing from the list: Ben Simmons, Al Horford, Kris Middleton, Nikola Vucevic.

I can’t see the Celtics getting 3 guys voted in. I would assume Kemba gets in. Between Tatum and Hayward, I would choose Hayward. The guy has worked extremely hard to get back to playing at an all-star level, and I hope the fans recognize that and vote him in. Between now and the time voting closes, I would assume and hope, Gordon shows continued improvement and mostly consistency. Gordon has been great so far and I love watching him play. Seeing him on the offensive end, is everything I love about the game.

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 01:09:37 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
We can’t forget, the All Star game is still a popularity contest, and being picked as a starter may come down to friendships depending on who is selected as conference captain.
Starters are selected by combination of fan, player, and media vote. Captains must pick all of the players from the starters pool before picking from the bench pool.

Bench all-star players are selected by the coaches vote.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:10:31 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TP CC for pointing this out. Still early. Will be tough for Celts to land 2nd all star. A lot will depend on our record.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 01:11:18 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
Its better than it has been in past years. But I think a lot of the candidates you mention will fall off due to regression and team losing making them nonviable.

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 01:13:15 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
TP CC for pointing this out. Still early. Will be tough for Celts to land 2nd all star. A lot will depend on our record.
I think they'll have a second player selected by the coaches if they maintain a top 4 record pace.

Which of the wings it will be is a huge unknown to me right now. Given its NBA coaches I would bet Hayward, then Tatum, and with Brown in order of likelyhood. Given our team's shot distribution all 3 could easily have numbers to keep them in the conversation.

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 01:27:38 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Players missing from the list: Ben Simmons, Al Horford, Kris Middleton, Nikola Vucevic.

I can’t see the Celtics getting 3 guys voted in. I would assume Kemba gets in. Between Tatum and Hayward, I would choose Hayward. The guy has worked extremely hard to get back to playing at an all-star level, and I hope the fans recognize that and vote him in. Between now and the time voting closes, I would assume and hope, Gordon shows continued improvement and mostly consistency. Gordon has been great so far and I love watching him play. Seeing him on the offensive end, is everything I love about the game.

Vucevic just doesn’t have the numbers this year (at the moment) to be in consideration. I can’t really imagine him making it over a guy like sabonis averaging 22-11 when he is averaging 15 and 10. Horfords number are not quite there either and I would imagine his numbers are too g to only get worse considering embiid has missed have the 76ers games so far between injuries. Middleton and Simmons are in the conversation cause of team
Success and reputation, but thus far someone like Lowry is crushing them both.

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 01:33:21 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Kemba and Gordon - with JT not too for behind them.

Gordon's play is helping to make his teammates better with his distribution...not JT's fault that he is still learning this.

TBH I can see no way that GH does NOT make it...dude is awfully close to being Utah GH and that version of him made his team better.

Dude deserves a standing ovation if he gets there - with his good friend Paul George giving him a high-five and brotherly hug before the tip-off.

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 02:10:53 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Ha! I was thinking about making a post like this yesterday, but with a different take.  How the All-Star game feels wide open to me this year (from a league wide perspective).

Not including Dirk and Wade, 30 players have made the All-Star game the last 2 years.

Durant, Curry, and Klay are all out.  Griffin, George, and Oladipo have yet to play and who knows how they'll look or when they'll actually suit up or how many games they'll get in.

Draymond, Russell, Vučević, Dragic, Aldridge are all playing either not to their prior All-Star form, or on bad (or at least under-performing) teams, or both.

Neither Drummond or DeRozen made it last year, and I would kind of be surprised if they made it this year.  (Drummond might make it if Blake is out, but he started at same pace last year and like last year I don't think it'll continue, and I think the Pistons will suck in the East which won't help, though he has more of a shot if Blake doesn't make the team).

Will be very surprised if Lowry keeps up this current pace.  Same with Horford, but if Philly has the best record he might be in over Harris.

These are all guys who are out or at least far from sure things.

Then you have a few vets who have been absent the last couple of years: Butler, Hayward, Porzingis, McCollum.

Then a whole bunch of newer faces: Siakam, Young, Tatum, Dončić, Mitchell, Brown, Murray, Booker, Lavert, Sabonis, Brogdon.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out when all is said and done.  I think there could be a lot of new faces this year.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 02:21:57 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
As of now, the Celtics have three players playing at all star level.   (possible 4 if Brown didn't miss half the games)

That is still more important then actually making it.

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Ha! I was thinking about making a post like this yesterday, but with a different take.  How the All-Star game feels wide open to me this year (from a league wide perspective).

Not including Dirk and Wade, 30 players have made the All-Star game the last 2 years.

Durant, Curry, and Klay are all out.  Griffin, George, and Oladipo have yet to play and who knows how they'll look or when they'll actually suit up or how many games they'll get in.

Draymond, Russell, Vučević, Dragic, Aldridge are all playing either not to their prior All-Star form, or on bad (or at least under-performing) teams, or both.

Neither Drummond or DeRozen made it last year, and I would kind of be surprised if they made it this year.  (Drummond might make it if Blake is out, but he started at same pace last year and like last year I don't think it'll continue, and I think the Pistons will suck in the East which won't help, though he has more of a shot if Blake doesn't make the team).

Will be very surprised if Lowry keeps up this current pace.  Same with Horford, but if Philly has the best record he might be in over Harris.

Then you have a few vets who have been absent the last couple of years: Butler, Hayward, Porzingis, McCollum.

Then a whole bunch of newer faces: Siakam, Young, Tatum, Dončić, Mitchell, Brown, Murray, Booker, Lavert, Sabonis, Brogdon.

Will be interesting to see how things shake out when all is said and done.  I think there could be a lot of new faces this year.

I am not saying he will keep it up, but wouldn't Drummond be a lock if he was to stay around 20-20? Thats pretty insane. Also he has done this for 8 games at this point. Would be curious when the last time someone had numbers like that after 8 games.

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 02:52:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I don't really think it is much different.

Last year the East all stars were

Giannis, Embiid, Irving, Walker, Leonard, Griffin, Oladipo, Lowry, Beal, Simmons, Middleton, Russell, and Vucevic

Russell was Oladipo's injury replacement or otherwise wouldn't have made the team.

Of that list, barring injury, it would be pretty surprising if Giannis, Embiid, Irving, Walker, Griffin, and Beal weren't again on the team.  So that leaves 6 openings.  Vucevic is clearly falling out but the other 3 guys still in the East all have decent shots at making the team again i.e. Lowry, Simmons, and Middleton.  Say all 3 do, there are still 3 open spots.  Siakam looks like a lock, but you still have 2 other spots open (and again that assumes that all 3 of Lowry, Simmons, and Middleton make the squad).  I wouldn't say that is really much different than last year as Leonard/Russell went West, Olapido is hurt, and no surefire all star came East. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 03:09:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Giannis, Embiid, Irving, Walker, Leonard, Griffin, Oladipo, Lowry, Beal, Simmons, Middleton, Russell, and Vucevic

Russell was Oladipo's injury replacement or otherwise wouldn't have made the team.

Of that list, barring injury, it would be pretty surprising if Giannis, Embiid, Irving, Walker, Griffin, and Beal weren't again on the team.  So that leaves 6 openings.  Vucevic is clearly falling out but the other 3 guys still in the East all have decent shots at making the team again i.e. Lowry, Simmons, and Middleton.  Say all 3 do, there are still 3 open spots.  Siakam looks like a lock, but you still have 2 other spots open (and again that assumes that all 3 of Lowry, Simmons, and Middleton make the squad).  I wouldn't say that is really much different than last year as Leonard/Russell went West, Olapido is hurt, and no surefire all star came East.
I would be really surprised if both Simmons and Middleton made it. There are people putting up incredible numbers this year, lots of them. Some may drop off, but the numbers guys like brodgon, young and Drummond, sabonis and siakam are all putting up are crazy.

Also, you realize griffin has not played yet this season 9 games in, but you would be very surprised if he didn’t make the all star team? Curious take.

Honestly, this feels like one of those times you are just being aimlessly contrarian instead of having a nice discussion about some pleasant surprises in the eastern conference. Want to share whether you think guys like Young, Sabonis, Brodgon can make it? That seems like a much more fun conversation than putting guys that haven't played this season into the game.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 03:20:49 PM by celticsclay »

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 03:39:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546

I would be really surprised if both Simmons and Middleton made it. There are people putting up incredible numbers this year, lots of them. Some may drop off, but the numbers guys like brodgon, young and Drummond, sabonis and siakam are all putting up are crazy.

Also, you realize griffin has not played yet this season 9 games in, but you would be very surprised if he didn’t make the all star team? Curious take.

Honestly, this feels like one of those times you are just being aimlessly contrarian instead of having a nice discussion about some pleasant surprises in the eastern conference. Want to share whether you think guys like Young, Sabonis, Brodgon can make it? That seems like a much more fun conversation than putting guys that haven't played this season into the game.
Griffin is due back this week.  Missing 8 games doesn't eliminate someone from the all star discussion.  Now maybe his hammy is a problem all season and he doesn't look right, but I don't think it will and he will still be in a position to be a 25 ppg scorer with solid rebounding and passing numbers. 

I don't think Middleton makes the team either and Simmons, isn't a given.  That is why I didn't put them as locks.  I think Lowry tails off as well, why he was with those 2. 

Young is having a fabulous start to the season, but he is in his 2nd year and playing in no mans land.  That generally means you won't get the fan support, player support, or coaching support you need to make the all star team.  I think he needs another year to really be considered in that category.  Now if Atlanta is still playing around .500 near the break, he might have enough pub to make the team, but I suspect at some point Atlanta drops back and he looks like a guy just putting up big numbers on a bad team.  I know that isn't fair to him, but that is what it will look like.  That is also what I think happens with Brogdon and Sabonis.  They are on a mid-tier at best team (without Oladipo) and putting up big numbers.  I think they are both great players, but they don't have the name recognition of someone like Beal (who is putting up big numbers on a bad team).  And I really like Sabonis.  I was firmly in the trade him for Brown camp in any number of posts on this board about that subject.  He at least has a last name people know, but I just don't think he will have enough juice to make the all star team.

If I was projecting what I think the east all star team will end up, I'd go with

Front Court - Giannis, Embiid, Siakam, Griffin, Butler, Drummond, Hayward
Back Court - Irving, Walker, Beal, Lowry, Simmons

I do think Hayward will get the love.  I think he has a nice story that will get a ton of press and I think the coaches, especially, would rather reward him than a young player like Sabonis or Young who presumably has a lot of time left to get that nod.

Obviously things can change, injuries happen, etc., but I think I feel pretty good about those 12 making the team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 03:54:22 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

I am not saying he will keep it up, but wouldn't Drummond be a lock if he was to stay around 20-20? Thats pretty insane. Also he has done this for 8 games at this point. Would be curious when the last time someone had numbers like that after 8 games.

Oh, if he's 20/20, for sure.  I just think he'll be closer to 15/15 by the All-Star break.

Last year, 2019 he averaged 17.4/15.0 pre-All Star game, didn't make it.  Started off first 4 games last year averaging 18.5/17.75, was averaging 19.5/16.1 through first 21 games.

Whiteside was putting up 16.8/14.1 in '17 pre-All Star game and didn't make it.

But 2018 and 2016, Drummond did make it averaging 15.1/15.7 and 17.0/14.9 pre-All Star game, so what do I know.

I just think the NBA has started to look past those monster numbers from ineffective players.  What also hurts him is playing with Griffin.  If Griffin plays, and is 75% healthy, he's the better player.  It's very hard to be a team ranked somewhere between 7-10 in the East and get two guys into the All-Star game.  I think odds go up that Drummond makes the team if Griffin doesn't make it for whatever reason.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class