Author Topic: CelticsBlog HOF: Year 1 (2004)  (Read 34988 times)

Re: CelticsBlog HOF: Year 1 (2004)
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2009, 01:45:08 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games

Testify!

Gotta love a good CB lovin' post.

Be honest, did you tear up a little bit reading it?

like THIS MUCH
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Then again it may have just been my allegies...Sneezing my face off here today.

Haha.  Well my plan all along was to turn this thread into a giant ode to the celticsblog where everyone testifies from the depths of their souls.  I kind of pictured it playing out like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2qzrmExpI

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Testify!

Gotta love a good CB lovin' post.

Be honest, did you tear up a little bit reading it?

like THIS MUCH
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Then again it may have just been my allegies...Sneezing my face off here today.

Haha.  Well my plan all along was to turn this thread into a giant ode to the celticsblog where everyone testifies from the depths of their souls.  I kind of pictured it playing out like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj2qzrmExpI

lol...I love that movie

Although as much as I love CB, I don't know that I'd be willing to sacrifice all to attack an impenetrable fortress in the name of Celticsblog GLORY.

(unless there were Lakers fans behind the enemy walls)
Yup

« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2009, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
bump - hey all you old timers, check in with your favorite memories of year 1
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
I remember thinking when the Globe chat got shut down, that the end was near. When Jeff told me he had a new site......my first question was "A new chat room?" because I had no idea what a blog site was......exactly as I had no idea what a chat room was until I stumbled into the Globe chat one day only to be verbally attacked by some guy named Old Fan.

Well, when Jeff told me there would be a chat....I asked him if I could be help him out with some money (I am always looking for an investment that somehow feeds my own neurosis). Old Ranter was always pretty self sufficient so I was not able to gain any ownership but mostly I was interested in helping the young boy out. I have watched him grow from Ranter to Mr Jeff Clark and he always showed he had one hell of a work ethic and could crank out stories like I can crank out visits to the bathroom with a bad prostrate. He can bring it. I will write more on this later - maybe some story about Sir Rants Alot thru the wise eyes of Master Po.

Anyway the funny story from this first year was that ReyQ was informed by me that a new chat had started over at this new place. ReyQ said "Nah I am done....nothing is going to replace the Globe chat".....yeah sure Reyquila... He is still here today...as am I.

It used to be a comfortable corner bar and I had my own barstool and now it's a multimedia event room which is good and I have grown used to it. But I still wax and wane about the Glory Days

More later......breakfast at the Temple is almost ready

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2009, 11:57:02 AM »

Offline Bent

• Author
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
I was witness to two important moments in Celticsblog history while in the Globe chatroom which I wonder if Jeff would even remember.

My user name used to be a (now extinct) website address and every now and again, people in the chatroom would check out the site and we'd talk about it in the room.  Jeff obviously liked this idea because one morning, he showed up and had changed his name from "ranter" to "ranter - Celticsblog.net" and greeted us all with "Hmmm...I'm feeling spammish today".  I'm sure that was aroung the time the blog started to take off, so I've always vainly felt a tiny bit responsible.

The other one was when Bill Simmons had been complaining that every time he broke some inside information to his buddies on SOSH, loads of websites would pick up on it and report it as news. Anyway, the next day he broke some news about how (recently signed rookie) Tony Allen had been tearing it in some  pickup games with pro players.  For all I know, he may have made this up just to test whether everyone would re-report it.

Anyway, Jeff shows up and I was the only other guy in the room.  He asked what was new and I told him the story.  He decided that, in respect of Simmons, he wasn't going to report the story and a few other guys showed up and we all decided we were going to keep this to ourselves.  So we spent the next five or ten minutes posting whatever we could - song lyrics, mock shopping lists etc. just so that the TA story scrolled off the page.  It was kind of surreal.

About a minute after it had finally disappeared from view, someone new came in the room.  "Have you heard that story about Tony Allen tearing it up in the pick-up games?"

I'm sure that was a lesson, although I'm not sure exactly what.   

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2009, 12:19:34 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
That was in the day when you could hide you could log in as anybody and I am not so sure early on we could see IP addresses. Could we? Too much time and liquor has robbed me of my memory and proper use of my thumbs. "I am feeling spammish today" LOL. I am sure I was not in there that day as I was not near the "Slackin Mofo's" (evol) you guys were.

By the way Bentdouble sent me a CD of his music way back then and I was blown away how good it sounded. You obviously lost some skill sets along the way Bent.... ;D

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2009, 01:12:00 PM »

Offline Bent

• Author
  • Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 8
We could see IP addresses.  Don't you remember?  Old fan had the software that would translate the ip address to an actual location and so if there was a troll that was getting out of hand, he'd post their location in the room and say he was sending the cops round.  Never failed to get rid of them.

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
I only vaguely remember that story about the Bill Simmons bit.

But yeah, Bent gets full credit for being my inspiration to share the url with everyone

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2009, 01:25:03 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • ranter
just realized we are over 5 years old (yeah, I'm slow on the math)

CB will be 6 on March 30, 2010

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2009, 01:32:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
just realized we are over 5 years old (yeah, I'm slow on the math)

CB will be 6 on March 30, 2010
We're going to need to put that into the Happy Birthday thread!! :D