Author Topic: NBA Draft - Wayne Chism  (Read 9150 times)

Re: NBA Draft
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 04:44:02 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
Chism is only 6' 9", shoots the three way more often then he should, and tends to fade under pressure. He scored the quietest 19 points I've ever seen when they got blown out by an injury ravaged Ole Miss team.

That being said, there are two players the C's should be looking at in those highlights, Wesley Matthews and Jerel McNeal. Also, look out for Lazar Haywood to be one of the best players in college basketball next year.

Well if you consider losing by 3 a blowout then okay. He doesn't take more threes than he should given the style of offense that Tennessee plays. That would be adjusted if he played with another team.

That being said, I agree that we should look at Wesley Matthews and Jerel McNeal. And, Lazar Haywood is going to be phenomenal next year. But say Chism doesn't get drafted and one of these other guys do, sweet, but would you be upset if the brought him in as a un-drafted free agent? It was just a thought.

First off they lost by 16 @ Ole Miss ( it was awesome, Terrico White is nasty. But if he goes undrafted, heck yes the Celts should bring him in if they lose Baby or Powe.

Yeah sorry bout that, I was thinking of the wrong game. For some reason Miss. State came to mind.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

Re: NBA Draft - Wayne Chism
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 05:03:51 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666
Chism is also a very good defender who can probably play 3 defensive positions situationally because he is strong and mobile...

However, I can't see why he'd come out with one more year to improve in college...he's gotten better each of the last 3 seasons and will be "the man" next year so he'll get a great chance to up his stock.

I like the kid a lot and I think he'll be a great 3/4 off the bench in time, but he's not a highly valued commodity yet and that is reason enough to believe he'll be heading back to school...

In the 2nd round, I'd be looking at Josh Hytvelt from Gonzaga...good upside for a player realistically in the teams range...

I'm not sure he'll be the man next year, though.  Tyler Smith probably isn't coming out if he's projected as a second round pick (and he is at this point), and Scotty Hopson's supposed to be a lot better than the nothing he was this year.  Either or both of them could end up being #1/#2 options ahead of Chism.  I'm not disagreeing with your point - I think he should go back to school too - but I'm not sure he'll be the alpha dog if he does.

He should at least be the #2 option for Tennessee. Pearl has to realize that good things happen when they get the ball to Chism down low. Hopson would really have to shape up in a hurry, and for my sake as a Tennessee fan I hope he does lol.

I agree with you, but it doesn't seem like Pearl recognizes this at times.  A disproportionate amount of Tennessee's halfcourt offense this year was the guards standing still and passing around the perimeter until one of them decided to force something.  They didn't set screens or cut at all.  It's been said that the Vols have no good shooters now without Lofton, and I really don't know about that - nobody ever got open consistently enough to test that theory out. 

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »

Offline Actionjakson

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
I dont think we need to draft another undersized pf. He is not as good as powe and not nearly as good as Baby. It would be a waste of a pick to me. IMO we need a sg or a true backup center. TA has been so inconsistent and injury plagued and Bwalker and Giddens are unproven still. A SG would be a good pickup. At Center, we dont really have a true center other than perk
“We don't see ourselves as four All-Stars. We see ourselves as one unit. It's like five fingers on a hand. You can do more damage together as a fist than spread out flat.”
- Rasheed Wallace

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 06:38:09 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
Chism is also a very good defender who can probably play 3 defensive positions situationally because he is strong and mobile...

However, I can't see why he'd come out with one more year to improve in college...he's gotten better each of the last 3 seasons and will be "the man" next year so he'll get a great chance to up his stock.

I like the kid a lot and I think he'll be a great 3/4 off the bench in time, but he's not a highly valued commodity yet and that is reason enough to believe he'll be heading back to school...

In the 2nd round, I'd be looking at Josh Hytvelt from Gonzaga...good upside for a player realistically in the teams range...

I'm not sure he'll be the man next year, though.  Tyler Smith probably isn't coming out if he's projected as a second round pick (and he is at this point), and Scotty Hopson's supposed to be a lot better than the nothing he was this year.  Either or both of them could end up being #1/#2 options ahead of Chism.  I'm not disagreeing with your point - I think he should go back to school too - but I'm not sure he'll be the alpha dog if he does.

He should at least be the #2 option for Tennessee. Pearl has to realize that good things happen when they get the ball to Chism down low. Hopson would really have to shape up in a hurry, and for my sake as a Tennessee fan I hope he does lol.

I agree with you, but it doesn't seem like Pearl recognizes this at times.  A disproportionate amount of Tennessee's halfcourt offense this year was the guards standing still and passing around the perimeter until one of them decided to force something.  They didn't set screens or cut at all.  It's been said that the Vols have no good shooters now without Lofton, and I really don't know about that - nobody ever got open consistently enough to test that theory out. 

Yeah, this is true. I couldn't stand watching Tennessee play at times this year because of the lack of movement. It really showed how much we missed Lofton last year. I mean a guy that can drop bombs from 40 feet is gonna draw a lot of attention. (At Actionjakson, maybe we should bring Lofton home, he's playing in Turkey now, man he has such a pure shot)
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 07:04:36 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I know it is a long way off but I've got an idea of who I would like us to draft with our only pick in the 2nd round. I don't actually know if he has entered the draft yet but it is Wayne Chism. He is a junior at the University of Tennessee. I'm figuring with the way Big Baby has matured this season he could be useful in a trade clearing out a spot for Wayne. He is of the same mold as Leon Powe, just a little taller (about an inch). A rebounding machine, fights for EVERY loose ball and he has a much better jump shot than Big Baby already. He can consistently knock down long threes as a trailer on the fast break or in a set offense. KG isn't getting any younger and I think a tandem of Powe and Chism sometime down the line would be incredible. I've included a video of highlights from his game against Marquette last season.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjwE8L8Zp-E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RjwE8L8Zp-E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PS. I have no idea why it put up two videos, it does that to me all the time.

the two videos thing happens to everyone youtube for some reason gives too much of a code so cut it down so its about the size of a websites url and itll be ine video