Author Topic: Tyler Hansbrough in Green  (Read 15254 times)

Re: Tyler Hansbrough in Green
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 02:47:49 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
both BBD and Powe are restricted FAs, correct? their both in rookie deals so the answer should be yes.

if so, i'd be very surprised if either ends up on another team. i think they both stay here on reasonable deals after danny makes clear they'll match any deal short of something looney.

with that said i don't see hansborough in green, and i'm not sure short of 'brand name' why we'd want him. he's not a good rebounder and he can't jump. what's his NBA skill? with a late pick, i'd rather take projects or guys stuck in systems that don't fit them (derozen) that's hurting their stock (see: rondo). hansborough doesn't have the upside to help build a team as the big three starts to wind down.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 02:54:50 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
The C's don't have a first round pick this year.  So they would have to trade for one.  It might be a possibility though, if the C's figure a guy like Hansborough would be cheaper than resigning Powe or Davis, and could give similar production.

I'm sorry I did't realize. Can anyone refresh me with the trade where we lost this?

Maybe someone will take JR Giddens for a first round pick. I mean, we took him in the first round so it would be fair. I don't think the Celts have explored that option.

Danny has been reportedly been trying to do that all year with no takers.  I think the way the C's would be getting a first round pick is buy buying it from another team, either for straight cash, or by taking on a contract they want to get rid of.

With such a weak draft, and such bad financial times, there will probably be a lot of picks up for auction.  The only question is whether the C's (who may not be in great financial shape themselves) would be willing to put up the money.  This is why it would have to do with Powe and Davis.  If say, Powe was looking for a 4 year, $15 million deal, and they could get Hansborough for something like $3 million up front to buy the pick, and then a late first round contract, they might decide to do that.

Of course that all depends on whether Hansborough is available.  Personally I think he will fall to somewhere between 18 and 30.  I actually think it being such a weak draft works against him.  A lot of times in weak drafts teams are more likely to take a young, very raw, upside guy than an older, more proven player with questionable pro skills.  It's a weird phenomenon, but it definitely can happen in drafts like this.

That Giddens comment was my poor attempt at sarcasm. I know Danny has been trying but any team would be crazy to give up anything for a guy who has one minute logged of NBA minutes.

That is an interesting point about weak drafts. I think you're right because what makes the draft weak is there are not many guys who will be superstars in the near future. Teams will instead try to get a guy they can turn into a superstar with their 1st round picks. Guys like Hansbrough who may average 15 and 8 for his career (optimistically) will never be elite NBA players. NBA GMs probably have trouble drafting guys in the lottery who have lower ceilings than a guy like Tyrus Thomas with untapped potential. Great point.

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2009, 03:04:30 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Wasn't this past year's draft a "weak draft"?
2 superstars and that's it, right?

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2009, 03:07:01 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
I'm trying to get my mind off of injuries and potentially frightenting lineups in the next week or so. What do you guys think of Tyler Hansbrough possibly falling to the late first round pick of the C's? It would be nice to have a tough guy with a shooting touch on the roster from the beginning of camp rather than waiting until February. Thoughts?

wrote about this a couple months ago, we don't have a first round pick this year.

Edit: didn't read before i posted.

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2009, 03:09:05 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
with a late pick, i'd rather take projects or guys stuck in systems that don't fit them (derozen) that's hurting their stock (see: rondo).

Tommy Point for the bold move (Derozen is being compared to Gerald Green in draft forums).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2009, 03:09:47 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
both BBD and Powe are restricted FAs, correct? their both in rookie deals so the answer should be yes.

if so, i'd be very surprised if either ends up on another team. i think they both stay here on reasonable deals after danny makes clear they'll match any deal short of something looney.

Yeah, they will both be restricted free agents, so long as Danny offers them an offer sheet (either a 125% bump or the minimum salary + $175k, whichever is greater). 

I'm not sure if the Celts would automatically match any reasonable offer sheet for both.  What if they are both signed to 3 year, $12 million deals?  Would Danny match both?  I don't think he would.

In terms of Hansborough, I like the guy, and think he'd look great in green.  However, he's got some work to do before being a pro; his shot is going to get blocked constantly at this level.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm not sure if the Celts would automatically match any reasonable offer sheet for both.  What if they are both signed to 3 year, $12 million deals?  Would Danny match both?  I don't think he would.

Yeah, I think if both guys are looking for more than $2 million per, then at least one will be gone...especially if the C's have any desire to use the MLE.

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Yeah, they will both be restricted free agents, so long as Danny offers them an offer sheet (either a 125% bump or the minimum salary + $175k, whichever is greater). 

In terms of Hansborough, I like the guy, and think he'd look great in green.  However, he's got some work to do before being a pro; his shot is going to get blocked constantly at this level.

i think he would. either guy is eminently tradable at that price on those years. and they've proven to be quality role players and hard workers, therefore unlikely to lose value over time. considering how they've played off each other this year, and the lack of quality front court players around the league, i think it's unwise to look at them as duplicitous.

Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 03:25:28 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

That's exactly what is going to happen Roy. Nice points. Both guys have proven valuable backups and will get offers. We will end up with only one of them due to them filling basically the same role. Adding Hansborough, which isn't going to happen, would be a mistake anyway because it just creates the same problem we have right now. Too many undersized bigs and no Small Forwards. Hansborough has great heart, but he has slow feet and can't jump. He isn't that good of a shooter, so he will struggle in the NBA. Think a more talented version of Mark Madsen.

Sign a backup PG (Gabe, Starbury, or someone else)
Sign 2 Small Forwards
Sign either Powe or BBD

Draft or pickup a true center sized player with upside to try and make the squad. If not Powe/BBD/Mikki does it again.

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 03:28:00 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74

Are you sure BBD is restricted?  Did we sign him to some kind of special rookie contract?  Because we only had him for 2 years on his original deal.  This is the same way Golden State lost Gilbert Arenas to Washington - they did not own his 'Bird Rights' because the rookie deal they gave him was only 2 years instead of 3. 

I could've sworn we had a discussion on here about us having the same problem when Danny 1st signed Big Baby.  Kudos was given to Davis' agent because he foresaw Glen outperforming his low draft position, and cashing in on a bigger contract one year sooner than the other guys in his draft class.  Am I totally making this up, or did that really happen?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 03:34:17 PM by MetroGlobe »

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 03:30:31 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

That's exactly what is going to happen Roy. Nice points. Both guys have proven valuable backups and will get offers. We will end up with only one of them due to them filling basically the same role. Adding Hansborough, which isn't going to happen, would be a mistake anyway because it just creates the same problem we have right now. Too many undersized bigs and no Small Forwards. Hansborough has great heart, but he has slow feet and can't jump. He isn't that good of a shooter, so he will struggle in the NBA. Think a more talented version of Mark Madsen.

Sign a backup PG (Gabe, Starbury, or someone else)
Sign 2 Small Forwards
Sign either Powe or BBD

Draft or pickup a true center sized player with upside to try and make the squad. If not Powe/BBD/Mikki does it again.

disagree. signing these guys to scal money on shorter deals doesn't preclude the Cs from addressing their other needs. what'd we be doing right now without powe? when leon was spacing out amoth ago, what would we have been doing without baby? it'd be silly to let them go for nothing, when we can go get a true center back-up, a PG, and a SF anyway.  
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 03:32:46 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
I love that Danny finds ways to pick up guys that he likes in the late 1st and early 2nd round - if they work out (Rondo, Powe, Gomes etc.) great - if they don't work out, no biggie
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 03:40:22 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I'd love him in Green. Psycho T would be perfect here.

Y'know, speed-wise I'd be a little worried about him at the pro level, but Hansbrough is perhaps the ONE guy KG could feed off of for energy.  The kid is a machine and I'd love to see him find a good fit in the NBA. 

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 03:52:02 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas

Are you sure BBD is restricted?  Did we sign him to some kind of special rookie contract?  Because we only had him for 2 years on his original deal.  This is the same way Golden State lost Gilbert Arenas to Washington - they did not own his 'Bird Rights' because the rookie deal they gave him was only 2 years instead of 3. 

I could've sworn we had a discussion on here about us having the same problem when Danny 1st signed Big Baby.  Kudos was given to Davis' agent because he foresaw Glen outperforming his low draft position, and cashing in on a bigger contract one year sooner than the other guys in his draft class.  Am I totally making this up, or did that really happen?

here's what ESPN's got to say on the subject:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=FreeAgents-09-10

by the way, i love that picture of Tommy. priceless. TP.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Are you sure BBD is restricted?  Did we sign him to some kind of special rookie contract?  Because we only had him for 2 years on his original deal.  This is the same way Golden State lost Gilbert Arenas to Washington - they did not own his 'Bird Rights' because the rookie deal they gave him was only 2 years instead of 3.  I could've sworn we had a discussion on here about us having the same problem when Danny 1st signed him Big Baby.

Yes, BBD is restricted.  From Larry Coon:

Restricted free agency exists only on a limited basis. It is allowed following the fourth year of rookie "scale" contracts for first-round draft picks (see question number 41). It is also allowed for all veteran free agents who have been in the league three or fewer seasons. However, a first round draft pick becomes an unrestricted free agent following his second or third season if his team does not exercise its option to extend the player's rookie scale contract for the next season. All other free agency is limited to unrestricted free agency.

Thus, BBD fits the description.

The problem previously was that just because a player was restricted didn't automatically give them the *capability* to match, because a team doesn't have Bird rights until a player's third year.  Thus, a team wasn't able to go over the salary cap to resign its own free agents.

That rule was modified, so that now another team can't offer a player more than the amount of the MLE in the first two seasons of a players new deal.  That allows teams to match offers made by other teams, even if they don't have Bird rights.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions