Author Topic: 2009 NBA Mock Draft / Prospect Ranking  (Read 15966 times)

Re: 2009 NBA Mock Draft / Prospect Ranking
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2008, 03:15:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
So who's going to be available at #60 in 2009?  I'm thinking that next year's draft isn't going to be much help for us.

Agreed, but it is still fun to think about.  Besides, with 4 picks in the first round, I could see Minny as a seller.  Might there be someone late in the 1st that could help the Cs?  i don't know as I have hardly watched any college ball -- in any case, knowing DA, he may be more likely to purchase a mid- 2nd rounder on the cheap to use for an undervalued player (Powe, Walker).

Agreed, there is always the opportunity to grab a pick if someone falls. 

More importantly though, the draft is just fun.  Of course it is a much different (and more pleasant) way to follow it, when your team isn't fighting for the lottery, but its still fun to follow.

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2008, 04:07:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I actually think Danny is going to stay as far away from this draft as he can. He has a fairly young team already if you discount the big three. Giddens, Walker, Erden, and Pruitt are all still very young and as much as they have good experience baby and Powe are still young as well.

I see Danny trying to add a veteran or two for the bench rather than trading up to get yet another young kid that he would have to stash in Europe or take up a roster spot with while he plays in the NBDL.

Of course this might be quite an off season if Danny decides to maximize Ray's trading value and move him for a younger SG or a solid big guy.

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2008, 04:13:19 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Scal + POB + Picks + Pruitt should be useful on draft night if Ainge sees someone he likes. Oh, and CASH!

I don't think Ray is going anywhere. As long as the Celtics are playing dominating b-ball, the Big 3 are going nowhere. Danny will milk this cow until it has nothing left to produce... that's what I think.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 04:20:29 PM by BudweiserCeltic »

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2008, 01:16:59 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
wow. cordobes, you are REALLY high on this kid. what kind of stats did he put up last season?

so he is about to turn 18, is that right? so this would be like he senior season in high school in terms of US players....

Humm... I'm as high as almost everybody, I think. His intelligence and playmaking abilities are really quite impressive.

He averaged 11ppg, 4apg, 3rpg, 2spg, 23 mpg in the ACB. He was also named for the "All-ACB first team" (together with Rudy Fernandez and Marc Gasol, who both will be playing in the NBA next season - http://www.acb.com/redaccion.php?id=48965).

but do you agree that the hype is warranted?

It's now very probable that Rubio won't entry next draft. Anyway, DX has a very nice article on his current club (and on Rubio), recommended reading, and there's an interview with Coach Claros ( Joventut's assistant coach) where he gives one of the best definitions of Rubio I've ever heard: "he just has a different understanding of the game. He's not a good shooter at all, but if you want to win a game and you need an incredible 3, you put the ball on his hands because he has something".

http://www.draftexpress.com/blog/Jonathan-Givony/

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2009, 06:15:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
It could just be me, but I'd say if you're not going to have a pick this is a pretty good draft to not have a pick in. Other than Blake Griffin there are zero other players I think "Wow that guy could be a franchise changer or a major piece."

I know there are good players and surprises in every draft, but there's just nothing that wows me in this one

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 10:38:25 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It could just be me, but I'd say if you're not going to have a pick this is a pretty good draft to not have a pick in. Other than Blake Griffin there are zero other players I think "Wow that guy could be a franchise changer or a major piece."

I know there are good players and surprises in every draft, but there's just nothing that wows me in this one

I would adjust this slightly.  There are a few really talented players in this draft.  The problem is that other than Griffin (and Rubio if he does declare), there are no other guys that have a significantly better than 50% chance to be better than an average player in this league.

I could very much imagine Monroe (who I think could ultimately be the best player out of this draft), Derozen, and Jennings becoming All-stars, and I could even see Harden, Buddinger, and Lawson be very good players as well.  But there just aren't many safe bets.  There are a lot more roll of the dice players than normal, and a lot of them have complete bust potential.

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 03:46:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Oh yeah. I forgot about Jennings. I'm very very curious to see what he is like after being in Europe a year. I guess probably not that much different, but I think what he did was creative and ballsy