Poll

Do You Still 100% Want To Avoid Carmelo?

Yes. I Haven't Changed My Stance
Idk.. I Still Consider Him An Option
I Just Want Boston To Be The Third Team In A Deal (Comment Below)

Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony Saga: Analyzing This Summer For The Boston Celtics  (Read 8488 times)

Re: Carmelo Anthony Saga: Analyzing This Summer For The Boston Celtics
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2017, 02:08:11 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
No way they trade Porzingis, it has no sense at all. They would prefer to keep Melo two years more than trading one of the best prospects for the next 12 years.

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2017, 03:00:16 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Carmelo is a 2 years rental for championship illusion.
I hope everybody get that right before throwing any assets.
If we have to give expiring contracts and non nets pick, why not, but other than that, I don't see the urge to be a delusional contender.

If we get him without giving up serious assets like the Nets picks or Brown or Smart then I don't see the problem in this. He's a legit star, top tier scorer and and underrated rebounder. Basically he fills two big needs. If we get Melo and pick up a guy like Bogut we are legit contenders for 2-3 years AND we still build an amazing foundation for the future with Brown, Smart, and both Nets picks.
I'd be fine giving up Brown or Smart if O'Quinn also came with Anthony because frankly I can't see Brown (and Smart to a lesser extent) getting much playing time with Anthony around anyway.  Why let a guy that wouldn't play hold a trade that puts Boston up a clear level in talent.  It just doesn't make much sense to me.
I agree with you about Melo still being a great player. Imagine if we'd had him when he was 28 or 29 years old a few years ago.

Now what to give up to get him? On this I am in absolute, 120%, universal disagreement with you on that one.
Sending Marcus or Jaylen would be an enormous mistake. In fact we simply won't take him if he costs that much.

They are limited in their options with his enormous salary, no trade clause, trade kicker and the ability to basically to be traded to whoever he wants that wants him.
We are one of a few teams who can do this.
Doc can offer his son, Crawford and Diamond Stone.

We can offer better than that.
At the very most I think something like:
Rozier+
Young+
Amir+Jerebko
2019 Clippers pick.

at an absolute maximum, and I mean absolute max.
Clippers can also add in Redick who would easily fetch a late 1st from someone and Brice Johnson (who I would argue has as much if not more value than Rozier, which isn't much on either account), and if the Knicks really like Rivers, then the Clippers trade easily exceeds that pile of trash from Boston, which is exactly what that trade is.  That is why Boston will never acquire Anthony for that and New York would just be better off keeping him and looking to move again this summer when teams will be in a better position to acquire him and have more assets available.

Put it this way, if Boston makes the move you propose, then Brown might as well go to the DLeague as he isn't getting any minutes for the Celtics outside of injuries, and that will destroy his value anyway (so he won't hold much value in some sort of future move and Boston won't have the salaries to acquire a star anyway).

Throw in another 1st rounder and a couple of 2nd rounders! Lol

And I don't see how Brown loses major minutes. With Amir and Jerebko shipped out, that's a lot of minutes to be had. Brown and Melo can play alongside each other. Even Brown at the 2, with Crowder at the 3 and Melo at the 4 will work.
Playoff type rotation

PG - Thomas 38, Smart 10
SG - Bradley 38, Smart 10
SF - Crowder 38, Anthony 10
PF - Anthony 28, Olynyk 20
C - Horford 38, Olnyk 10

Totals
38 - Thomas, Bradley, Horford, Anthony, Crowder
30 - Olynyk
20 - Smart

Maybe Smart gets some of Anthony's SF minutes, which then cut into KO's PF minutes.  If O'Quinn also comes with Anthony or the C's pick up another backup center, then that person just gets KO's center minutes.

Now obviously the playoff minutes are a bit higher than the regular season, but those aren't that far off from what you would expect, aside from Smart getting more minutes in the regular season.  Brown just isn't going to get time and the C's are better off trading him if someone like Anthony is acquired.  I'd just prefer to trade him for Anthony and use Brown to get O'Quinn who would be the perfect backup for Horford and has a very nice contract.  Brown, Zeller, Johnson for Anthony, O'Quinn.  Keep Jerekbo for depth in that trade as well.

Minutes aside, why would we give up the third pick in last year's draft to get a back up center? That would be horrible management of assets. Wait a minute... Phil...? Is that you...?
Because it is going to take some real asset.  The Knicks aren't just going to dump Anthony for garbage.  It would be a PR nightmare, but large expiring contracts and the third pick in the recent draft is easily sellable for NY and a trade that makes sense for Boston.

The most recent rumour was Anthony for Crawford and Rivers... Even if you double that package you don't arrive at Brown's value.

The kind of assets we would need to give up maxes out at Bradley as a player and the Mem pick as an asset. Something like Amir, JJ, Rozier + Mem pick would be fair I think. They are trying to move him, it's not prying away a star.

The above wouldn't work from a cap standpoint so I'd imagine a third team would need to be involved if we were serious about it. I'm still not sold on it, Melo is ageing fast and he's already far from the player he used to be

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2017, 03:04:15 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
If we have to give expiring contracts and non nets pick, why not, but other than that, I don't see the urge to be a delusional contender.

If we get him without giving up serious assets like the Nets picks or Brown or Smart then I don't see the problem in this. He's a legit star, top tier scorer and and underrated rebounder. Basically he fills two big needs. If we get Melo and pick up a guy like Bogut we are legit contenders for 2-3 years AND we still build an amazing foundation for the future with Brown, Smart, and both Nets picks.
I'd be fine giving up Brown or Smart if O'Quinn also came with Anthony because frankly I can't see Brown (and Smart to a lesser extent) getting much playing time with Anthony around anyway.  Why let a guy that wouldn't play hold a trade that puts Boston up a clear level in talent.  It just doesn't make much sense to me.
I agree with you about Melo still being a great player. Imagine if we'd had him when he was 28 or 29 years old a few years ago.

Now what to give up to get him? On this I am in absolute, 120%, universal disagreement with you on that one.
Sending Marcus or Jaylen would be an enormous mistake. In fact we simply won't take him if he costs that much.

They are limited in their options with his enormous salary, no trade clause, trade kicker and the ability to basically to be traded to whoever he wants that wants him.

Rozier+
Young+
Amir+Jerebko
2019 Clippers pick.

Clippers can also add in Redick who would easily fetch a late 1st from someone and Brice Johnson (who I would argue has as much if not more value than Rozier, which isn't much on either account), and if the Knicks really like Rivers, then the Clippers trade easily exceeds that pile of trash from Boston, which is exactly what that trade is.  That is why Boston will never acquire Anthony for that and New York would just be better off keeping him and looking to move again this summer when teams will be in a better position to acquire him and have more assets available.

Put it this way, if Boston makes the move you propose, then Brown might as well go to the DLeague as he isn't getting any minutes for the Celtics outside of injuries, and that will destroy his value anyway (so he won't hold much value in some sort of future move and Boston won't have the salaries to acquire a star anyway).

And I don't see how Brown loses major minutes. With Amir and Jerebko shipped out, that's a lot of minutes to be had. Brown and Melo can play alongside each other. Even Brown at the 2, with Crowder at the 3 and Melo at the 4 will work.
Playoff type rotation

PG - Thomas 38, Smart 10
C - Horford 38, Olnyk 10

Totals
30 - Olynyk
20 - Smart

Maybe Smart gets some of Anthony's SF minutes, which then cut into KO's PF minutes.  If O'Quinn also comes with Anthony or the C's pick up another backup center, then that person just gets KO's center minutes.

Now obviously the playoff minutes are a bit higher than the regular season, but those aren't that far off from what you would expect, aside from Smart getting more minutes in the regular season.  Brown just isn't going to get time and the C's are better off trading him if someone like Anthony is acquired.  I'd just prefer to trade him for Anthony and use Brown to get O'Quinn who would be the perfect backup for Horford and has a very nice contract.  Brown, Zeller, Johnson for Anthony, O'Quinn.  Keep Jerekbo for depth in that trade as well.

Minutes aside, why would we give up the third pick in last year's draft to get a back up center? That would be horrible management of assets. Wait a minute... Phil...? Is that you...?
Because it is going to take some real asset.  The Knicks aren't just going to dump Anthony for garbage.  It would be a PR nightmare, but large expiring contracts and the third pick in the recent draft is easily sellable for NY and a trade that makes sense for Boston.
if it takes a real asset then we are out. Simple as that.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2017, 03:08:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Rozier+
Young+
Amir+Jerebko
2019 Clippers pick.

Playoff type rotation

PG - Thomas 38, Smart 10
C - Horford 38, Olnyk 10

Totals
30 - Olynyk
20 - Smart

I understand that way of thinking, but I think now is the time to make a move.  Not wait till the summer or years down the road.  If Boston acquires Anthony for backups, Cleveland is the only real challenge to that new Celtics team in the East, and Cleveland isn't exactly an unbeatable juggernaut.  Having a guy like Anthony that can actually keep up with James offensively is a real plus.  Then you have Thomas to match Irving and Horford to match Love.  You still have Bradley, Smart, and Crowder for wing defense.  I just see Boston with Anthony as a team that could actually threaten the Cavs.  The Cavs would obviously still be favored, but the series wouldn't be a foregone conclusion like it is now.  With Horford's age and the contract situation of the other main pieces, Boston can't just wait around doing nothing and miss out on a real opportunity, which this year is. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2017, 03:40:43 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
So far, I think it's been reported Anthony is willing to waive his NTC for BOS, CLE, LAC.

Any other teams or just those three?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2017, 03:47:13 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Rozier+
Young+
Amir+Jerebko
2019 Clippers pick.

Playoff type rotation

PG - Thomas 38, Smart 10
C - Horford 38, Olnyk 10

Totals
30 - Olynyk
20 - Smart

I understand that way of thinking, but I think now is the time to make a move.  Not wait till the summer or years down the road.  If Boston acquires Anthony for backups, Cleveland is the only real challenge to that new Celtics team in the East, and Cleveland isn't exactly an unbeatable juggernaut.  Having a guy like Anthony that can actually keep up with James offensively is a real plus.  Then you have Thomas to match Irving and Horford to match Love.  You still have Bradley, Smart, and Crowder for wing defense.  I just see Boston with Anthony as a team that could actually threaten the Cavs.  The Cavs would obviously still be favored, but the series wouldn't be a foregone conclusion like it is now.  With Horford's age and the contract situation of the other main pieces, Boston can't just wait around doing nothing and miss out on a real opportunity, which this year is.
OK. I just dont think Melo gives us enough of a chance at a title to justify seriously hurting our future in trading Jaylen Brown for a 32 year old making 27 mil.

Ill listen to arguments for trading Smart or even Bradley, but Brown is completely off the table for me.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2017, 04:33:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1550

Rozier+
Young+
Amir+Jerebko
2019 Clippers pick.

Playoff type rotation

PG - Thomas 38, Smart 10
C - Horford 38, Olnyk 10

Totals
30 - Olynyk
20 - Smart

OK. I just dont think Melo gives us enough of a chance at a title to justify seriously hurting our future in trading Jaylen Brown for a 32 year old making 27 mil.

Ill listen to arguments for trading Smart or even Bradley, but Brown is completely off the table for me.
Fair point, I included Brown because I think Smart is a better fit on the remaining team, but would certainly have no issue trading Smart instead.  I'm also not entirely sold on Brown as a real top level prospect.  He has shown some flashes, but I'm not sure he will be anything more than a Jeff Green type player.  Nothing wrong with Jeff Green as a player and he has had a fine career, but that isn't the type of player that should be a deal breaker in any trade. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:32 PM »

Offline tankcity!

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 129

Rozier+
Young+
Amir+Jerebko
2019 Clippers pick.

Playoff type rotation

PG - Thomas 38, Smart 10
C - Horford 38, Olnyk 10

Totals
30 - Olynyk
20 - Smart

Fair point, I included Brown because I think Smart is a better fit on the remaining team, but would certainly have no issue trading Smart instead.  I'm also not entirely sold on Brown as a real top level prospect.  He has shown some flashes, but I'm not sure he will be anything more than a Jeff Green type player.  Nothing wrong with Jeff Green as a player and he has had a fine career, but that isn't the type of player that should be a deal breaker in any trade.

Thank god you're not drafting. Now go enjoy some Bender. Here is an article based on facts about your boy being historically bad.

https://theringer.com/the-suns-frontcourt-of-the-future-is-going-through-growing-pains-and-so-is-the-nba-3cd39347acd2#.wgn71c1x2

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 10:36:46 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Ainge has to be thinking "man I need to give IT some help"

Melo or J. Butler are good trade options though Melo could come a lot cheaper.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

Rozier+
Young+
Amir+Jerebko
2019 Clippers pick.

Playoff type rotation

PG - Thomas 38, Smart 10
C - Horford 38, Olnyk 10

Totals
30 - Olynyk
20 - Smart

Melo is arguably the most skilled scorer in this league after Kevin Durant - hell he might even be MORE skilled offensively then Durant.

He can score in the post.  He can hit the three.  He is deadly from midrange.  He can pull up, spot up.  He can score on the break. He gets to the line.  He's a massively underrated passer, ball handler and rebounder. 

He's one of the most clutch scorers of this generation - his game takes another level when he's on the big stage and really playing for something (e.g. his dominance in the Olympics games), and he seems to become extra motivated when he's playing against great competition.  He's the type guy who will elevate his game in the playoffs.

Like Lebron and Durant, there really isn't a single player in this league who can stop Carmelo Anthony when he's on fire.  He is too big, too strong, too skilled.  Shut off one scoring option, he'll take another. 

On the other hand Jaylen Brown is a 20 year old 6'6" rookie SF who has shown some flashes of potential here and there but still has a very long way to go. 

I can understand the Jeff Green comparison because the two have a lot in common.  Both had good length, both had a similar style of athleticism (not that flashy, but kind of effortlessly athletic), both had similar weaknesses (ball handling, inconsistent jumper) and both had similar personalities (laid back, intelligent, not especially emotional).   

You could also say that Brown has flashes of Jimmy Butler, but Butler has a very different personality.  Butler is an angry, emotional guy with a huge motor.  His mentality is closer to Jae Crowder or Marcus Smart then it is to Jaylen Brown. Brown doesn't really have that tough, mean streak in him.  He doesn't seem to have Crowder's toughness, or Bradley's tireless work ethic.

By all means Brown COULD become a star, but right now it really is a 50/50 call that could go either way. If I have a shot at bringing in a guy who could transform us into a contender overnight, then I'm not letting that go to gamble on Jaylen Brown.  It's too risky. 

That said If I had a choice of including Crowder or Brown, I'd probably include Crowder. The core of Melo and Horford gives us about a 3 year window (based on their age and contract) of contention.  Having Crowder gives us less options in how we'd use Melo, and Crowder is too good to bring off the bench, so having him and Melo IMHO makes things tricky.  Brown on the other hand (along with the guys we get with the Brooklyn picks) could learn and devleop arond our starters, and then and then take over once Melo's contact is up and/or he retires. 

It's a very nice 'transition' plan that means we don't have to start from scratch again after the Melo/Horford window closes.