Poll

Do You Still 100% Want To Avoid Carmelo?

Yes. I Haven't Changed My Stance
Idk.. I Still Consider Him An Option
I Just Want Boston To Be The Third Team In A Deal (Comment Below)

Author Topic: Carmelo Anthony Saga: Analyzing This Summer For The Boston Celtics  (Read 8490 times)

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
First off, let me say that so far, I've been ANTI-CARMELO on this blog, and I truthfully don't think the C's should trade for him.

But another part of me wonders about this summer and what could (or likely.. WON'T happen).

We know some of the names that will be available this summer (in no particular ranking order): Blake Griffin, Gordon Hayward, Serge Ibaka, Paul Millsap, Chris Paul, Jrue Holiday, Danilo Gallinari, Otto Porter Jr., etc. (and no.. Steph Curry, Kyle Lowry and Kevin Durant are NOT leaving their current teams).

HOWEVER, out of those names listed.. Hayward and Griffin are likely staying with their current teams, same with CP3, and it's likely Philly decide to keep Noel since they have a ton of cap space and Noel has been balling lately. Suddenly, you are down to second tier options like Millsap, Ibaka, Holiday, Gallinari, etc., and frankly none of those guys likely move us into contention (whereas I think a guy like Hayward or Griffin could actually get us real close to that).

Interesting to note that this is the LAST Summer Ainge has with a max-contract slot (after this summer.. rookie deals, etc. will leave BOS with cap space, but not enough for a max-signing post 2017).

My point is, if the Knicks truly get desperate as February 23 nears, and decides to get rid of Melo for extremely cheap, I think the Celtics should really consider it. He's an iso-scorer and a ballhog who plays limited defense, I know. But the Celtics can surround him with defensive minded, hustling guards/forwards like Crowder/Brown/Smart/Bradley, etc., and let Melo do his thing (which is being a #2 scorer alongside IT).

I mean, if you can get Carmelo Anthony + Kyle O'Quinn without surrendering a young stud like Brown/Smart, or any Brooklyn Picks.. you have to definitely consider it. If you can keep Crowder, that's an added bonus. (I mean, judging by the Clips-Knicks talks.. they seem to be willing to ship Melo out for just Rivers + aging Crawford).

Think of Melo as your "summer signing" while every other target stays with their current team and instead of possibly doing absolutely nothing this off season in free agency, you have Melo + O'Quinn + 2017 Brooklyn Pick (Fultz/Ball/SmithJr.).

So do you guys think this is a reasonable take or did I just annoy you guys even more lol?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Carmelo Anthony Saga: Analyzing This Summer For The Boston Celtics
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 09:41:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Yes. Yes. You annoyed me even more.

No seriously you make some good points. TP. I was just talking about this. I think it's only Milsap that is realistic and can make a difference.

However the chances are probably 35% we land Milsap right now, so if you can add Melo and not give up too much it's a good move.

People need to remember that Melo is going to at least try to Ball out for a ring.

He's a knucklehead, but a ridiculously talented one. Let's try it. Play him at the four, he's better than Amir.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:47:37 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842

Yes. Yes. You annoyed me even more.

No seriously you make some good points. TP. I was just talking about this. I think it's only Milsap that is realistic and can make a difference.

However the chances are probably 35% we land Milsap right now, so if you can add Melo and not give up too much it's a good move.

People need to remember that Melo is going to at least try to Ball out for a ring.

He's a knucklehead, but a ridiculously talented one. Let's try it. Play him at the four, he's better than Amir.
Not only is he a better player than Amir, but at this stage in their careers he might even be a better rebounder.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 09:47:55 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2934
What's more - to get Millsap you will more than likely have to give him around Horford money for four years compared to only two more years with Melo. Further, Millsap is only 9 months younger than Melo.

While Millsap is a better defensive fit for us, Melo is a much better offensive fit for us, and he gives us a legit second option to turn to down the stretch.

It all depends upon the cheap price of a trade for Melo, but if it can be done, then I think Melo is the better bet at this point.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 09:52:16 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
If you could trade for Melo and ship out Marcus Smart as the primary piece in the deal you do it 100 times out of 100.

Pierce played high level basketball until he was 37, Melo is only 32.

You could trade Smart, Amir Johnson, and Zeller and future first (non Brooklyn) for Melo and M.D. Nour.  The salaries work according to the NBA trade Machine.

That leaves you with a second premier scorer, you're not resigning Johnson anyways and you're about to draft Marcus Smart's replacement in a few months making him completely irrelevant.

Your starting lineup would look something like:

Isiah Thomas
Avery Bradley
Jay Crowder
Carmelo Anthony
Al Horford

Bench:
Rozier
Olynyk
Jaylen Brown
Mickey

Our bench would be weak but we'd finally have a starting five that could match points with any team in the East and we'd still have all our most valuable trade assets to build/draft a bench however you want to do it.  We'd be competitive for the next 4-5 years and still have 3 lottery picks (minimum) to develop plus Yabu, Rozier, and Zizic.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 09:56:15 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Phantom, assuming that there is no free agent coming, would you rather:

Trade for Melo now? or

Extend IT and AB this summer, as opposed to losing one (or Smart) in free agency because Melo would take up too much salary space if he opts for the last year of his deal?  Bear in mind that Melo would still have a no trade clause, so you can't move him if you need to if he won't agree to it.

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2017, 10:03:59 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2959
  • On To Banner 18!
Phantom, assuming that there is no free agent coming, would you rather:

Trade for Melo now? or

Extend IT and AB this summer, as opposed to losing one (or Smart) in free agency because Melo would take up too much salary space if he opts for the last year of his deal?  Bear in mind that Melo would still have a no trade clause, so you can't move him if you need to if he won't agree to it.

I would extend IT + Smart.

Yeah yeah I know, this goes against what I said in this post, but I said the Celtics should really consider it and not just throw it out the window.

For example, what is Ainge's plan with IT/Smart/Bradley going forward?

Does he have confidence in signing a max FA this offseason? Any other trades in mind?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2017, 10:53:47 PM »

Offline rayallen_35_24

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 6
14 mins ago – via New York Post
A report out of Boston, in contradiction to an ESPN story from Friday, stated the Celtics still have some interest, but as previously reported by The Post, Boston has no intention of giving up any of the first-round picks it controls from the Nets. They have their own picks that could work in a deal along with expiring contracts of Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko. Jackson is known to like defensive forward Jae Crowder. The Boston report stated the Knicks had a pro scout at the Celtics game in Milwaukee Saturday.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2017, 10:56:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
A report out of Boston, in contradiction to an ESPN story from Friday, stated the Celtics still have some interest, but as previously reported by The Post, Boston has no intention of giving up any of the first-round picks it controls from the Nets. They have their own picks that could work in a deal along with expiring contracts of Amir Johnson and Jonas Jerebko. Jackson is known to like defensive forward Jae Crowder. The Boston report stated the Knicks had a pro scout at the Celtics game in Milwaukee Saturday.

Phil can like Crowder all he wants -- that deal isn't happening.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 11:07:16 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
If Carmelo comes we would want him as starting PF.
He would be matching up with Love, Millsap and onto Durant in the event we somehow made it to the ECF>finals.

So that's the question..
Can Melo play the PF and be reliable enough on the defensive end guarding 4's in the post and on the perimeter.
I think he can.
If the Knicks took a poverty package that included Zeller, Amir and some 2nd round picks we'dhave to consider it strongly.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 11:08:24 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269

Phil can like Crowder all he wants -- that deal isn't happening.

Yeah seriously. If Danny even thinks of giving up Crowder for Melo, my respect for him as a GM goes down the drain.

TP for the update.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2017, 11:12:51 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
If Carmelo comes we would want him as starting PF.
He would be matching up with Love, Millsap and onto Durant in the event we somehow made it to the ECF>finals.

So that's the question..
Can Melo play the PF and be reliable enough on the defensive end guarding 4's in the post and on the perimeter.
I think he can.
If the Knicks took a poverty package that included Zeller, Amir and some 2nd round picks we'dhave to consider it strongly.

I second this. In fact, I hope that if Carmelo came here he wouldn't get one minute at the 3 spot. The guy is a nightmare match-up as a 4. He's faster than any 4 who could cover him and his burly physique would help him hold his ground against any of the bulky 4's in the league. Not to mention him at the 4 would put Horford at the 5 spot where Al really belongs.

It all depends on what Phil wants.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2017, 11:17:32 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
NO TO MELO

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 11:37:11 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 395
I'm onboard with trading for Melo. Rozier, Amir, Zeller, Young and a non-BKN first rounder and a couple of 2nd rounders seems like a great deal for both sides.

Melo will help us more than people here think. Him at the 4 and Horford at the 5 (with IT, Bradley/Smart and Crowder) is a formidable lineup. I think we stand a good chance at beating the Cavs with that, actually.
- LilRip

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2017, 11:39:44 PM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Would hate to see another swing and miss summer go by.  Get melo.  He'll fit in well here.  Move Al to center