Author Topic: Oh it's coming at some point: a washed up star  (Read 8463 times)

Re: Oh it's coming at some point: a washed up star
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2015, 01:07:56 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Getting Gary Payton was a real turning point for us. Not that he had enough in the tank to really get us over the hump. No. It was the fact that we got him and he came here. It put us on the map. I was so scaed then that he would not agree to come to Boston as we had sh#t the bed for sooooooo soooooo long. W are starting to look good again. We need someone to come here and say its good to give us some more legitimacy. Also i would be good for CBS to get some experience with someone with some legacy and ego. He wil have to manage them down the road when we are again a great team, why not give him some practice.

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2015, 01:19:21 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Well the odds are its a guard so I'll say Joe Johnson

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 01:21:30 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Let's make it even more fun. Which former All-Star and current player would represent the most depressing acquisition?

I think for me it's Joe Johnson. It just works on so many levels...he's overpaid, likely to evaporate completely as a player...and we would end up having traded him away once just as he was getting good, only to re-acquire him as he began to suck again. The clincher would be sending back enough talent to ruin the BKN picks we own.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2015, 01:24:39 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
Paul Pierce.

;) I can't troll with a straight face

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
As we continue to get better, Ainge will probably bring in some washed up star. We did it before with Payton, and before ainge with Wilkens. I bet we do it again. Let's speculate? Who will we get in the next few years that will help but just be a few years too late?

At ths point it is different from Shaq and Sheen and Cassel. Those guys came becasue we were crazy good an they wanted a ring. IMO right now we are at a similr point to when we traded for Payton years ago. One an upswing but not really good enough. Like then, we need a little legitimacy.

Any guesses?

Two guys in 20+ years is hardly a trend you can bank on.

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2015, 01:31:51 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Let's make it even more fun. Which former All-Star and current player would represent the most depressing acquisition?

I think for me it's Joe Johnson. It just works on so many levels...he's overpaid, likely to evaporate completely as a player...and we would end up having traded him away once just as he was getting good, only to re-acquire him as he began to suck again. The clincher would be sending back enough talent to ruin the BKN picks we own.

Giving up young players or picks I could get excited about for an over the hill player I hate watching would qualify.

Hmm . . . .

Neither Kobe nor Wade seems likely to happen, thank God.

So I'm not sure who.  I'd be disappointed if Ainge did something like trading picks and players for, say, Nikola Pekovic and Kevin Martin.   Joe Johnson is a good example.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2015, 01:45:24 PM »

Offline Dedalus

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 21
Noah or Pau. Probably Pau. We have so many guards. Why not a target a Center?

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2015, 01:50:52 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 743
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2015, 01:59:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Gerald Wallace.  ;D

Serious answer is probably Kobe, considering the Lakers connection and what we'd have to pay him to torpedo a season or two for us.

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2015, 02:28:23 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Gerald Wallace.  ;D

Serious answer is probably Kobe, considering the Lakers connection and what we'd have to pay him to torpedo a season or two for us.

Let's not forget about his unparalleled skills at transforming the NBA's premier free agent/trade destination into "the place guys turn down to sign with Milwaukee, Cleveland and the Clippers."

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2015, 02:36:13 PM »

Offline ahonui06

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 27
Don't believe it will happen in the 2016 season.

« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2015, 02:43:36 PM »

Offline max215

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 624
David Lee. Noah could be another one though.
Isaiah, you were lightning in a bottle.

DKC Clippers

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2015, 02:45:39 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I suppose that if Paul Pierce were to fall apart and be unable to contribute to the Clippers, we might be the team to take on his contract and send them a helpful bench player in exchange for a future pick or some other asset.

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2015, 03:08:06 PM »

Online 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Carmelo....this year.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2015, 03:47:35 PM »

Offline alewilliam789

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 76
Carmelo....this year.

I wouldn't put it past Ainge if he can grab him for the right price. Would be a fantastic if we could land him at a very cheap price. We'd still have to grab a young star somewhere along the line, but it would be a nice start.